Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the input, I do have a donor camera with a working meter, but obviously I don't know exactly how to repair this thing! By the way, how do I take the cover off? I'm stuck at the advance lever.

10-05-2011, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As you get into it you can generate lots of questions. For the Spotmatic a great resource is the National Camera soptmatic repair manual. It was part of their technician training course, and covers full teardown and assembly.
http://www.natcam.net/manuals.html
07-23-2015, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #18

I know this is an old thread, but before resorting to opening up your camera, try this.
I bought a SPII with a 55mm f1.8 SMC Takumar lens pretty cheaply off ebay recently. Everything was fine apart from the light meter, which was stuck in the centre after replacing the spent battery with a new AG3. I opened the lens up to f1.8, activated the meter and shone one of those bright white LCD torches into it for a second.
Seconds later it was working & after testing it against the meter on my K1000 its giving accurate readings.
Hopefully this will work for others with the same problem.
02-27-2017, 06:01 AM   #19

@K1000x, I registered to thank you for this hint -- it seemed silly but the light meter in my otherwise excellent-looking Spotmatic was alternating between complete over- and under-exposure like others reported above.

I did what you suggested -- turned on the torch in my phone, activated the light meter, pointed the camera at the light for a few seconds from close distance and bam! the meter suddenly works just fine!

Had to flip the battery upside down too to fix the indicated value but that's all (by the way, I'm using a Varta V394).

Many thanks again!