Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Infared Photography

Hi All,
I have been considering trying some infared photography.
What does anyone suggest as I have a choice of film cameras from the MZ50 down to K1000 in working order.
I don't want to modify anything to do it as I may find I don't like the results.
I have had a quote of AU$400 to modify my K20D which I have no intention of doing.
Regards.

05-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest trying it with film first Ilford still make SFX 200 last time I looked - that film should be excellent in your K1000 although you will need an IR filter. SFX works best with a deeper red filter like the R72 - SFX isn't a hard IR film meaning it isn't really designed for anything longer than 900Nm imaging, but at 720Nm it should be fine.

may I ask who is modifying your K20?
05-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Any film camera with easy full manual control would work well. I would suggest just buying a roll or two of each IR film you can get a hold of to see what you like. You'll need at least a dark red filter, but you'll get more dramatic results with a 720nm filter when using true IR films. A good 720 filter costs a fair amount but you could offset that cost by buying a cheaper body.

There is some good info to be found on exposure for various IR films (digitaltruth has a side by side comparison of most available IR films). IR light is hard to judge with a normal meter so you'll pelrobably want to bracket.

I've done a fair amount of IR film photography over the past year and I really enjoy it, although it takes a different sort of visualization than normal B&W photography.

I personally use a Pentax LX and generally just let it auto-expose, even with a 720nm filter. It works quite well even though the filter is nearly opaque.
05-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi,
Sorry for the confusion, but I am not getting my K20D modified at that price.
f16 at Margate in Brisbane gave me that quote. He has done some work for me as in fungus removal, lens service and for a friend he changed the mount on a Sigma 600mm mirror lens from a Minolta to a Pentax successfully, so I have no problem reccomending his work.
His contact details are Web F16 Camera Service Email info@f16cameraservice.com.au and phone 07 3284 1588
I rang Photocontinental here in Brisbane and they still stock and develope IR film.

Regards.

05-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Rollei Retro 80s has extended red sensitivity and has been used for IR photography with appropriate filters.

Steve
05-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I would suggest trying it with film first Ilford still make SFX 200 last time I looked - that film should be excellent in your K1000 although you will need an IR filter. SFX works best with a deeper red filter like the R72 - SFX isn't a hard IR film meaning it isn't really designed for anything longer than 900Nm imaging, but at 720Nm it should be fine.

may I ask who is modifying your K20?
+1 on the Ilford, just tried my first roll last month (Shot with my K2) using a B+W 092 IR filter. As Votesh mentioned it helps using your cameras automatic settings as it's very hard seeing through the filter even with a f1.2 lens.

Phil.
05-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you really don't need to use film to do IR photography - if you already have an IR filter you can use it on your K20 without modifying it - though be prepared for some long exposures.

the left side of this image is a glass of coke shot under visible light, the IR image is on the right. Due to the law of forbidden transmission the coke in the glass looks like plain soda water when seen in IR wavelengths.

On the left: the visible light image was captured at 1/500th ISO100 f/8. On the right the IR image was 25s ISO100 f/8 and I used the Hoya R72 filter [which transmits approximately 100% of the light at 720Nm and beyond]

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-28-2015 at 12:36 AM.
05-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Any of the manual cameras will work perfectly.

Not sure about the MZs though
05-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Rollei also makes an IR film that is pretty good as well. be very specific with your lab (a respected lab here screwed up 6 rolls of IR I shot in Rome by not processing properly, - which is why i'm returning to the darkroom)

The Rollei film also works well as an iso 400 film
05-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Digitalis,

Thanks for that. I have to get an IR filter yet, so I will try it on the K20D without going to the expense of a film and then getting it developed, even though on past exprience I obtained better results of some star trails that I did with my Super A.

Regards All.
05-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
Forum Member

Avoid using auto-wind film cameras with IR film as I believe most of them use infrared to sense where the film is. I had a friend at school fog an entire roll using an EOS camera.
05-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FlannelSpoon Quote
avoid using auto-wind film cameras with IR film as I believe most of them use infrared to sense where the film is.
also some cameras have a small window to let you see the number of frames and the ISO of the film - some duct tape should be sufficient to prevent IR contamination.
05-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many auto-wind non Pentax cameras use an infrared sensor to sense film movement. Look inside the camera near the take-up spool and see if you see tiny rectangles where the sprocket holes travel. Those are the infra-red sensors. Most Pentax cameras use a sensor system that measures the rotation of a sprocket wheel that is next to the take-up spool. You can use IR film with those cameras. Using duct or electrical tape over the film window is still a good idea.
05-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #14

I would definitely try an infrared filter with your K20 just for kicks, I get good results with my *ist DL2 with a 760nm infrared filter (see attached picture, this was 1/2 second exposure on my *ist DL2). Efke makes an infrared film, it's called Efke IR820 it's sensitive out to 820nm. You may want to invest in a changing bag if you plan to try infrared film. The instructions for Efke IR820 state that it must be loaded/unloaded in complete darkness. I'm not in a hurry to ruin a roll of $11 dollar film, so I've never tried loading or unloading without a changing bag.
Attached Images

05-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I am correct in assuming that there is no more color IR film made for 35mm cameras?