Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #1

K1000 w/Motor Drive!!!!!

I just bought a Pentax K1000 with a motor drive and bulk film back. I can not find any info on it. Does anyone have any info to share or know where I can find info on a factory made K1000 with a motor drive and bulk film back?

05-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!

If your K1000 has a motor drive, it probably is not a K1000. Either that or somebody has done some pretty hefty mods. (Not impossible, given that the K1000 shares heritage and internal workings with other models that did support MD.) Do you care to post a photo of this beast with the drive and back?

Steve
05-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I surmise it is a KM Motor with K1000 top cover
My first thoughts as well, Chris.

Steve
05-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
There is no self timer and no DOFP. I will try and post a photo tomorrow. Pentax has confirmed that there was a prototype and that a few were made custom. I am trying to get more info from them. The body and motor drive have different serial numbers.

05-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Here are some photos that I took, please let me know what you think.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
05-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The motor drive and bulk film magazine are the same as the ones for the Spotmatic, KM & KX.

I assume someone has removed the original base plate from your K1000 and swapped it with one from a Chrome KM or KX.

You do have an original K1000 MIJ, circa 1976. These are the best of the K1000's.

Phil.
05-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

While the non motor drive version of the Spotmatic was technically a different camera than the motor drive version, for a fee, Pentax in Denver would modify a standard Spotmatic to accept the motor drive. This was a fairly simple operation, involving a new bottom plate and perhaps a little bit of linkage to the film advance mechanism.

Since the K-1000 is, essentially, a Spotmatic F with a bayonet mount, I imagine that they could easily have done the same thing to a K-1000. If Pentax didn't do it, any good camera repair technician could do it, especially back in the day, when the parts were still plentiful and available new.

In any case, that's a really interesting find. Just finding a complete Spotmatic motor drive is rare. They pop up on ebay a couple of times a year, but they are almost always missing the battery holder, which makes them kind of useless.

05-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

that bulk film back is sweet, i had one of those for a nikon f in the late 70's, PITA to develop the film from mind you, but with practice not too bad though you will likely lose a few frames when cutting it to process
this kind of thing was the height of sports photography sophistication back in the day
05-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
PITA to develop the film
Every once in a while I see the long roll reels in a shop or up for auction. Very rarely.

Steve
05-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Every once in a while I see the long roll reels in a shop or up for auction. Very rarely.

Steve
they were pretty damn rare back when the bulk backs were being sold, never had one myself, just cut the film into approx 36 shot lengths in the dark and rolled on reels and developed in a tall patterson tank
05-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
While the non motor drive version of the Spotmatic was technically a different camera than the motor drive version, for a fee, Pentax in Denver would modify a standard Spotmatic to accept the motor drive. This was a fairly simple operation, involving a new bottom plate and perhaps a little bit of linkage to the film advance mechanism.

Since the K-1000 is, essentially, a Spotmatic F with a bayonet mount, I imagine that they could easily have done the same thing to a K-1000. If Pentax didn't do it, any good camera repair technician could do it, especially back in the day, when the parts were still plentiful and available new.

In any case, that's a really interesting find. Just finding a complete Spotmatic motor drive is rare. They pop up on ebay a couple of times a year, but they are almost always missing the battery holder, which makes them kind of useless.
Yeah Honeywell also used to do custom modifications to Spotmatics by adding a mirror lockup.

Phil.
09-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So did you manage to get any mor einformation on this K1000 with motor drive? What has happened to it?

Regards

Chris Stone
09-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #13

Original Poster
K1000 motordrive

After several attempts to work with Pentax about how this camera came to be they were not interested in talking about it. I no longer work for the dealer that owns it but I believe they still have it.