Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ESII meter behaviour

Hi. I have just got my ESII back but the meter isn't behaving as I would expect. When one presses the shutter button the meter needle drops then slowly rises back up to 1000. Changing the aperture have no impact on the needle.

My first thought was the batteries so I swapped them for the set in my ME-F (as I don't have any absolutely new batteries) but I get the same thing.

Is this likely to be a battery issue or is the camera malfunctioning?

Many thanks, Kris.

05-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Kris,dont have a whole lot of experience with the ES but do know that over
time discreet electronic bits and pieces that make up a monolithic system
can have their values change with age,called "component drift".Most times
when a single component fails,it does so in the 'open' position,no current would flow,
rendering system inoperable.Sounds like your piece is heading in that direction.To be sure,you might want to check battery vault for fouling from oxides,other crud that might inhibit current flow.
Those Cds meters are fairly easy to calibrate if they're 'out of whack',pretty much a
wheatstone bridge that just requires the trimming of some varible resistors to bring them back to acceptable level.If you could find a service manual,should be able to
get a little more info than I can offer in this regard.
05-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Bill. I had just got the camera back from repair so was worrying there is something wrong. An absolutely fresh set of batteries seems to have cured the problem though. I'll run a film through it now and see how it goes.

Best wishes, Kris.
05-31-2011, 03:04 AM   #4

My best guess would be a loose connection or at least a corroded one. The servicing may have disturbed something. I would contact the repairer and see what they have to say.

Kim