Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #91
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
As long as Kodak, Fuji etc keep making film there will be people shooting film since there are millions of 35mm and MF cameras out there. I just wish I used up my old film before getting digital cameras ten years ago.

06-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #92
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
We in the industrialized world, flooded with Chinese- and otherwhere-made digital imaging gear, may see film as a vanishing species. But other worlds exist. The last time I was in Guatemala the country still had big tariffs on Chinese imports. Digital products were rare and expensive and often smuggled-in; film was EVERYWHERE. And if you're off-the-grid anywhere for more than a couple weeks, you're best off with a hand-crank camera, a solar light meter, and a crate of film.

Yes, Kodak-Fuji-etc will keep producing film as long as WalMart keeps stocking it, as long as tens or hundreds of millions of people keep buying it. And if the 'majors' ever stop producing it, boutique film-labs will churn it out to meet the demand.
06-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
We in the industrialized world, flooded with Chinese- and otherwhere-made digital imaging gear, may see film as a vanishing species. But other worlds exist. The last time I was in Guatemala the country still had big tariffs on Chinese imports. Digital products were rare and expensive and often smuggled-in; film was EVERYWHERE. And if you're off-the-grid anywhere for more than a couple weeks, you're best off with a hand-crank camera, a solar light meter, and a crate of film.

Yes, Kodak-Fuji-etc will keep producing film as long as WalMart keeps stocking it, as long as tens or hundreds of millions of people keep buying it. And if the 'majors' ever stop producing it, boutique film-labs will churn it out to meet the demand.
You are right in a lot of Ways Rico, but the main determining factor for Kodak and Fuji on colour will be the motion picture industry. the economies of scale come from them. When (if ) they get out of film for projection and production then I imagine Kodak and Fuji may well kill film production, whether boutique guys can produce quality colour film remains to be seen, b/w is largely a boutique market already with more films from the small guys than the big guys. there is still probably a decade or so at minimum for the colour (though processing is getting harder all the time), the b/w could go on indefinitely i would think since it's easy to home process and many of the film manufacturers make the chemicals as well (not to mention you can mix your own easily enough)
06-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #94
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
Worse case scenario we end up with large format glass plates.

06-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #95
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Worse case scenario we end up with large format glass plates.
Which is a great excuse to start looking at those old plate cameras NOW before the prices go up!
06-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Which is a great excuse to start looking at those old plate cameras NOW before the prices go up!
06-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #97
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Which is a great excuse to start looking at those old plate cameras NOW before the prices go up!
I guess we may as well start working on a plate holder for the scanner.
06-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I guess we may as well start working on a plate holder for the scanner.
Easier to contact print it (albumen prints are easy lol)

06-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #99
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Easier to contact print it (albumen prints are easy lol)
Yes, and after that scanning's a breeze
06-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Yes, and after that scanning's a breeze
06-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #101
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
That puts a whole new meaning to "over easy."
06-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #102
Veteran Member
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,295
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Worse case scenario we end up with large format glass plates.
Anyone know a recipe for making your own emulsions?
06-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
i haven't looked but i bet you can find something here, certainly the recipes are there for making various printing process papers (I wonder if you could use the Iford Liquid emulsion you can buy for coating alternative materials)

Processes How-To AlternativePhotography.com
06-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #104
Pentaxian
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,862
Digital obsolescence

The standard 35mm film cartridge has been available for the better part of a century.
Digital memory card formats common just ten years ago are already no longer manufactured.
I am confident 35mm film will be available long after today's ubiquitous SD card has bitten the dust.

Chris
06-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #105
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The standard 35mm film cartridge has been available for the better part of a century.
The Wikipedia entry on 135 film says Kodak introduced 135 in 1934. I once had a copy of the first 135 (35mm cart) still camera, the nifty German 1934 Kodak Retina I folder. So 135 has been around almost 4/5 century. Not bad. Not quite as long as 78 rpm records, but not bad...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long exposure-film vs digital lavascript Photographic Technique 3 01-05-2011 04:01 PM
Misc Long live film! Taking a Super Program out for a spin ismaelg Post Your Photos! 2 01-03-2011 01:37 PM
How long will you hold on to your K7? Tony3d Pentax DSLR Discussion 114 11-12-2010 06:26 PM
Macro Hold on! Iris Post Your Photos! 18 05-24-2010 11:09 AM
How long does shot film last? MJB DIGITAL Pentax Film SLR Discussion 13 03-13-2008 12:20 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top