Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Although different films are affected in different way, I haven't yet found it a problem with the LX.

Just my "thought" and little eveidence other than the results but I think it has something to do with the way the sensor works. Most meter cells will "measure" a light level and you then just use it. In the auto mode the LX sensor effectively integrates the amount of light falling on the sensor and closes the shutter when enough has landed. It is why it can cope with changing light levels during the exposure.

As I said, just my thought but it also seems to suffer from reciprocity failure in the same way and which seems to match that of the film I have used. That is mainly Fuji.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by brh Quote
Side note, while it's fascinating that the LX can accurately meter to ten minutes and so on, doesn't reciprocity failure make it a bit of a moot point? Or do you just shoot nothing but Acros?

06-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I guess I should step out of that comfort zone…
Fortunately for me, I have no comfort zone as I am renew to film - previous p&s film user that got serious with digital and now back more seriously into film.

Correction BTW, as I actually have results of >2hours on Kodak Gold. Mind you these are just tests pics of mundane objects taken in practically dark conditions and I can't tell the difference from straight-up neutral scans between it and ones taken at 1/60.

But here is a more dynamic result of a long exposure - longer then 5 minutes, taken on Agfa Ultra. Of course I could not picture the resulting vortices and what that could possibly look like in such a long exposure. This is a straight-up neutral and uncorrected scan.

06-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I would love this feature in a camera that didn't come with the maintenance costs of the LX. Generally speaking, I guess I'd rather spend time improving my metering skills than worrying about the costs of servicing an LX.
I don't know to which costs you are referring. The sticky-mirror syndrome? That's fixed with a standard CLA. Apart from that, the LX is built like a Swiss watch and should last (as mine has lasted) for many years without any maintenance whatsoever, bar the occasional change of battery.