Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #1

Next Pentax film body

Looking for some help and recommendations for a 'new' Pentax film body.

Currently I have a K1000, and really enjoy using it, however I would like something a bit more 'modern' I suppose.
I also recently brought a pristine P30, which is great (especially the size and weight) except for a couple of things ie no manual ISO setting, and the fact the back has a tendency to pop open when I change the lens! There will certainly be some light leaks on the test roll!

Basically I am using M lenses, but have a couple of A lenses I would also like to use.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt

06-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you like well constructed manual cameras then I recommend you keep an eye out for the MX, LX and the K2
06-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If you like well constructed manual cameras then I recommend you keep an eye out for the MX, LX and the K2
+1

The LX is a very nice camera, albeit a little more expensive. The ME Super is cheap and the viewfinder is really, really good. I wish they could replicate it on a DLSR.
06-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I like the ME series, they are compact, great viewfinder and dead easy to use.

06-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

MX is great. If you want the option of some automation I also highly recommend the Super Program/Super-A.
06-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this thread is useless without pictures... Pentax ME super with FA77mm f/1.8 Limited - which is an excellent combination for street photography.

06-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Go for the last film camera Pentax made, the *ist SLR.

That's basically a digicamera without the digi.

06-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
wow! Thanks for all the suggestions - will have to do some homework now!
That ME Super does look very nice.
06-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Suprised that with the mention of A series lenses, no one has plugged for the Super Program - basically a ME Super with program capability. I'm going to buck the trend though and suggest the Chinon CE-4s - great body (for M and K series lenses, anyway).
06-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #10

If you want auto to use the A lenses, my vote would also go for the Super A/Super Program.

Lots of useful info with pics here: Pentax Camera Bodies

Kim
06-04-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Super-A / program does look great as it has Tv mode. The P50 is also a good one, like a more fully featured P30. If you have a digital body how about a Z20 / Z70 or MZ6 / MZ7? These will work with all lenses from K to DA (no SDM of course!) And you may well pay less than you would for an ME Super etc.
You can try these camera bodies for free if you buy body/lens combinations on ebay and then sell the lens
06-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the info everyone - I have my eye on a couple bodies on a particular auction site, and will monitor the classifieds here.
ihasa - I do have a MZ-50, but I don't think M lenses work on it - at least I couldn't figure it out! It is also a bit too 'modern' for what I want in a film camera
06-04-2011, 03:00 AM   #13

The MZ50 has the crippled mount and the M lenses won't work. It's the same for the MZ30, the MZ60 and the *ist.

They will work with the P series and the MZ3, MZ5, MZ6, MZ7, MZ10 and the MZ-S.

The MZ3 and MZ5 have the feel and look of a "classic" film camera but with AF

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by MattC Quote
Thanks for the info everyone - I have my eye on a couple bodies on a particular auction site, and will monitor the classifieds here.
ihasa - I do have a MZ-50, but I don't think M lenses work on it - at least I couldn't figure it out! It is also a bit too 'modern' for what I want in a film camera
06-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
MX is great. If you want the option of some automation I also highly recommend the Super Program/Super-A.
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Suprised that with the mention of A series lenses, no one has plugged for the Super Program - basically a ME Super with program capability. I'm going to buck the trend though and suggest the Chinon CE-4s - great body (for M and K series lenses, anyway).
Ahem!
06-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
1+ for both!!!

Throw in the various XR Ricohs for fun!

Steve