Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #1

Me Super shutter problem?

So, I have an Me Super I hadn't used in the last year, tried to use it today but when I press the shutter it doesn't always work after winding.

I already changed batteries and the mirror doesn't seem to be locked up, the electronic metering seems also to be working fine.

The shutter seems to always work when I open the back and close it again, and then it would just randomly work. The button can be pressed but the problem I guess is that the curtain in the back doesn't go back down when the shutter is pressed... this is the same in every mode...

Anyone has had to deal wth something like this? Any DIY fixes out there? I think getting it fixed professionally would probably cost as much as getting one in working state...

Thanks!

06-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Went through it twice Beta,including with one I bought new in early '80's.
(Eyes are wet as I type)
Couple things can cause it,debris accumulating around and in interlock mechanism
that syncronize's mirror/shutter operation during exposure sequence.
Probably why it appears you could press down on shutter to complete stroke,
exactly right,thats what will happen...shutter latches at end of stroke and releases
mirror from up position.Also (or next),theres a small nylon cam deep in mechanism
that gums up in same way,its another interlock,cant remember exactly what it does,
takes complete disassembly to service.
Your right about servicing and fee,unless theres some sentimental value there.

Heres a link where these things are covered pretty well,

Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems
06-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
No real attachment to the camera. I already got a Z-1P which I've used more, but liked using the ME Super every now and then... seems like I'd need to get a new one if I wanted to keep using it though which kinda sucks.

I noticed that if I (very lightly) tapped the curtain before winding, the screen would go down as it was supposed to. Guess it must be some debris like you mentioned. Oh well....
06-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same problem here, do a few dry runs and tap the camera against your palm; it cures it for the day but returns a few days later.

06-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
2nd ME spr I picked up,used,started behaving in same manner not all that long ago,
seemed liked it went by stages or progression...sometimes could 'slap it around'
(gently) and get mechanism to arm and be able to shoot with it,other times,
turn it upside down and escarpment/movement would enage while cocking.
As Titrisol said,symptoms would return 'down the road'

Not sure of my numbers following here,but have seen post from other members
that 'hooked up' with chap in Tennesee that perfoms cleaning/servicing on these
bodies that brings them back to being the wonderful little pieces they are.
Figures that Ive heard are less than $100,gentleman has a very good rep,
Maybe someone thats gone that route can weigh in

Can go 'do it yourself route',believe same chap contributed to link that I posted
offering some insight towards that direction,in that case,guess its a matter
how much you value your own time.

Last edited by BillM; 06-06-2011 at 10:54 AM.
06-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
With shipping from Canada it'd probably go over 100. The tapping does work sometimes but it's been fairly inconsistent, so am thinking am going to get another one, or might look into how much it's cost me to get it fixed here in Toronto first. In the meantime, my Z-1P will do.
06-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #7

I am have the same issue on my 2 ME super bodies.
Advance the film, press the shutter but nothing happens. I have to keep trying and after wasting several frames, it works for the next couple frames.

I end up wasting around 10 frames per roll constantly.

I have sent one of my ME supers to Eric for CLA and fixing this issue. TWICE! It is still not working. I like my ME Super but it is just too hard to get a cheap working piece.
KEH is sell EX condition ME super for around $100... I am still struggling whether I am gonna spending that much money for it.