Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ColdEye Quote
Aside from ebay, is there a place online that sells working Canonets? I am missing mine and I want to get into RF's again. I was thinking like a site like this, Russian and Soviet Cameras from Fedka.com (they sell FSU RFs) but they sell canonets instead. I miss the very quiet shutter.
why not buying a fed?

07-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #47

In time, my budget is insufficient for the kit I am going after there. :P Canonet was my first film camera and I want to have it again for nostalgia's sake.
07-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ColdEye Quote
In time, my budget is insufficient for the kit I am going after there. :P Canonet was my first film camera and I want to have it again for nostalgia's sake.
I don't know about a Canonet-site selling checked ones..... Sorry...
07-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #49

I see, that's fine. I don't to try ebay because I have a string of bad experiences already.

07-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
POD is repairable, but you must find someone who knows Yashicas...

Chris
Chris, an update on my Electro; the local shop doesn't think my GS is cost-effective to repair. Recommended getting another one. The shutter is sticking open, and slowly returning to closed when he tried (probably P.O.D., as the hearty clunk the MG-1 makes is missing too; another symptom according the web).
Time to go GSN/GTN shopping.
08-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Consider a Konica RF as well, these are super nice.

nando, excellent post!

I've been looking for another RF. I rather like what I see and read about: Ricoh!!
Their 500G, GS and GX (it seems they made these models for Sears also). The GX isn't listing on Ebay except for one or two in Europe. I'll look at Konica's line too.

An update to all on my Electro 35 GS; I found a repair source on the rangefinder.com forum. It does have P.O.D. and one other item;
all repairable at modest cost to my mind. There's a line ahead of it for repair, but...
08-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just ordered my very first rangefinder, a Zeiss Ikon. Already have a CV50/1.1, will be getting a CV35/1.4 soon, but probably only keep the 35mm later on. It's good to be able to play them on both film and digital (GF1) cameras

08-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just ordered my very first rangefinder, a Zeiss Ikon. Already have a CV50/1.1, will be getting a CV35/1.4 soon, but probably only keep the 35mm later on. It's good to be able to play them on both film and digital (GF1) cameras
Nothing like living large! The Ikon would be my choice if I were in the market for an upscale RF.

Steve
08-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nothing like living large! The Ikon would be my choice if I were in the market for an upscale RF.

Steve

I'd go for a Leica if I had money. Have to sell off quite a few film stuff to buy this one, lucky Voigtlander made some cheaper LM lenses. Hope I'd have more fun w/ this rangefinder than I've had w/ the much cheaper LX
08-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I'd go for a Leica if I had money
Wouldn't we all

Steve
08-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #56
Veteran Member

....nnnnnah, I dunno. Modern film range finder? I'd stick with medium format like the Bessa III, not 35mm, even if those are some bitchin' cameras, the Leicas and Zeisses. If I had a choice: upscale 35mm RF or die, I'd pick the Ikon.
08-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'd stick with medium format like the Bessa III
Both! I say buy BOTH!!!

Steve

(Really would love to have both...and would you mind throwing a Mamiya 7-II three lens kit in the bag while we are at it?)
08-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #58
Forum Member

When it comes to medium-format RF's, one has to take the size of the body into consideration. Most of them are huge and look almost cartoonish. The lenses are also huge and slow. When it comes to print-size, MF does have a clear advantage but the high resolving lenses from Leica and Zeiss make up for that somewhat. With film like Adox CMS 20 combined with lenses from Leica or Zeiss capable of 300+ lp/mm, huge print-sizes are possible. I've used CMS 20 even for street photography and at 20 ISO, it is still quite manageable. In the sun, f/5.6 at 1/250th. In the shade, f/2.8 at 1/60th or 1/125th. I've made 16x24 prints that are sharp and that show no grain!

When it comes to costs, I don't find the prices of good Leica and Zeiss equipment unreasonable. Compared to digitalia that I've seen on this forum that will likely end up in some landfill before a decade is through, I find film Leicas have good value. Besides my MP, none of my Leica bodies cost me over $1000 and with basic service once every 20 years or so, they'll still be working long after I'm gone. A user M4-2, a 35f2.8 Summaron or 50f2 DR Summicron with good glass, a service to get everything in spec, and you have a fantastic kit that will last you the rest of your life for likely less money than a K7 with a kit-lens. And if you decide to get rid of the Leica gear, you can sell it and likely get ALL your money back.

Last edited by Nando; 08-11-2011 at 05:18 PM.
08-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nando Quote
When it comes to medium-format RF's, one has to take the size of the body into consideration. Most of them are huge and look almost cartoonish. The lenses are also huge and slow. When it comes to print-size, MF does have a clear advantage but the high resolving lenses from Leica and Zeiss make up for that somewhat. With film like Adox CMS 20 combined with lenses from Leica or Zeiss capable of 300+ lp/mm, huge print-sizes are possible. I've used CMS 20 even for street photography and at 20 ISO, it is still quite manageable. In the sun, f/5.6 at 1/250th. In the shade, f/2.8 at 1/60th or 1/125th. I've made 16x24 prints that are sharp and that show no grain!
The lenses are not large on MF range finders. They are small for their format and the camera + lens can weigh less than most modern DSLR outfitted with a zoom lens. I don't care how well a 135 format lens resolves on a small format camera. A good MF range finder will top it in image quality. With film, size matters.
08-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #60
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The lenses are not large on MF range finders. They are small for their format and the camera + lens can weigh less than most modern DSLR outfitted with a zoom lens.
Can you imagine a doing street photography with something like this?
Me and the Monster! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

BTW, that's not me in that photo.

All I was saying is that by going up to a MF rangefinder, one will be giving up an some advantages that come with a 35mm rangefinder - primarily the small size factor.

QuoteQuote:
I don't care how well a 135 format lens resolves on a small format camera. A good MF range finder will top it in image quality. With film, size matters.
Go back and read my post, I never disputed that. In fact, I have two medium format cameras and a large format view camera for this reason. I said that the higher resolving RF lenses available from Leica and Zeiss SOMEWHAT make up for the small film-size.

Here is a test shot taken with a Leica 90mm Elmarit-M and Adox CMS20.
Adox CMS 20 Test | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This was a quick, snap-shot taken hand-held and not on a tripod. The resolution was also limited by the scanner. There is far more detail in the negative.

Last edited by Nando; 08-12-2011 at 05:28 PM.