Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nando Quote
Can you imagine a doing street photography with something like this?
Me and the Monster! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

BTW, that's not me in that photo.

All I was saying is that by going up to a MF rangefinder, one will be giving up an some advantages that come with a 35mm rangefinder - primarily the small size factor.
So you've never shot a medium format camera then?

08-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #62
Forum Member

Umm... Like I said in my previous post, I have two medium format cameras along with a large format camera. So yes.
08-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's true - many modern rangefinders are McCameras but there are some more petite ones. And I'd go with the petite, even if vintage. The advantages of the pov and larger film size are why I'd go for one of the 120 cameras over 35mm, if I were to be spending $1000+....
08-13-2011, 08:16 AM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...advantages that come with a 35mm rangefinder - primarily the small size factor.
Not always quite so small, nor light for that matter. See my previous post. The main advantage from my perspective is handling and smaller lenses. Those characteristics carry over (more or less) to the MF rangefinders.

In regards to MF rangefinders and size...the Fuji 6x9 in your link is an extreme example. Perhaps you might follow up with a link to a 2x3 press camera with coupled rangefinder and 120 holder such as the Mamiya Press?

In regards to larger cameras and street shooting...apparently you are unaware of the various forum members who shoot street with non-traditional tools. Rense uses a Pentax 6x7 with WLF. Nesster uses various MF folders. A few others prefer MF TLRs (go figure). And then, of course, there is the Holga (not here of course ).

Steve

(...and yes, people have used press cameras for street...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-13-2011 at 08:29 AM.
08-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #65
Veteran Member

...honestly though, a range finder would just slow me down. I don't know, I get along without one. I'll take the Kiev next time I'm in Manhattan to see how it does.

08-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

In regards to MF rangefinders and size...the Fuji 6x9 in your link is an extreme example. Perhaps you might follow up with a link to a 2x3 press camera with coupled rangefinder and 120 holder such as the Mamiya Press?

Steve
I've never seen that Mamiya press camera before, wow, what a rig.

That M7II I got is just about as easy to shoot as any manual focus 135 camera. With aperture priority, it mostly comes down to focus for the speed of the capture. Sometimes that rangefinder is really fast and easy to focus and other times more difficult if you are focusing on something that is made up of random patterns.

Here is another weight comparison for the record. My K1000 + SMC A 50mm f1.2 + neck strap weights 1000g. Is that too big for "street photography"? For an insignificant 360g more you could shoot the M7II + 65mm lens. And actually the M7II is easier to hold with its size and molded hand grip it has.

Last edited by tuco; 08-13-2011 at 10:45 AM.
08-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I've never seen that Mamiya press camera before, wow, what a rig.
...and not that expensive either for the basic kit. I also like the idea of the back that supports the format range from 6x4.5 through 6x9. (6x4.5 might be a little cumbersome, however, unless shooting portrait orientation.) On the subject of monster rangefinders, a local guy offered me his Koni-Omega for a couple hundred dollars. He used to use it for doing Christmas photos of dogs and cats at PetsMart. I passed...too much camera, even for me!

Steve

08-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sure, everyone loves a bigger negative, but 35mm is almost always preferable for most types of action photography including street shooting.
Besides reduced size and weight 35mm cameras usually have the advantage in automation, hand-holdability, lens speed, depth of field, etc.

Chris
08-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
...honestly though, a range finder would just slow me down. I don't know, I get along without one. I'll take the Kiev next time I'm in Manhattan to see how it does.
Got my ZI yesterday, finished one roll before the Sun went down, I have to agree that I was much slower than when I'm using an LX

It looks pretty though:
Attached Images

08-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you imagine a doing street photography with something like this?
Me and the Monster! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
To be honest? Yes! I love shooting streets with my pentax 67. No RF, of course, which makes it even more hilarious. If I would have been in London, last week, with those riots, and I'd been shooting with my 67, the people would have thought the army was mobilised and they armed themselves with mortars or tanks. Thinking of the mirror of the 67.....

Nothing beats a P67 for street photography....
08-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Jussi, what Kiev do you have? A 35mm RF, or one of those MF beasts? Considering a 35mm, but don't know if I should get me a 4(A) or a earlier version (3A, or even a 2...)
08-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #72
Veteran Member

I have the Kiev 4 Contax clone, one with a selenium meter built in. It is a hoot to play with, makes me think while I'm shooting. I could see getting used to it....

a couple of 'street' shots from the first roll with the Kiev:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/53503-cool-let...ml#post1575799

But: I went to a camera show this morning, and walked out with a Zeiss Super Ikon 532/16, from 1938 so it has the uncoated 80/2.8 Tessar... and it's in beautiful shape cosmetically and operationally. Now that is what I call a camera
08-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Sure, everyone loves a bigger negative, but 35mm is almost always preferable for most types of action photography including street shooting.
Besides reduced size and weight 35mm cameras usually have the advantage in automation, hand-holdability, lens speed, depth of field, etc.

Chris
By your understanding then anyone who shoots a prosumer-grade dSLR or FF dSLR with a zoom lens should stop it and pick up a small 135 film camera for their street photograhy because they are shooting a rig which most are dimensionally larger and weigh more in that class than the MF rangefinders some of us have here on the forum.
08-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, but will you tell them for me? I'd rather not be the one who gets clocked with their oversized cameras...

Chris
08-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Okay, but will you tell them for me? I'd rather not be the one who gets clocked with their oversized cameras...

Chris
No, I think its best that you do just so you can experience that wtf are you a size-challenged nut case moment.

Last edited by tuco; 08-14-2011 at 11:23 PM.