Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Need suggestion for film SLR

I have upgraded from p&s to dSLR with pentax k100D for about 8 months and I have been loving it. It is not that I need another camera, but I have special interest in b&w photography, and I am about to buy a lens vivitar 28mm f/2.5 that only works with K mount on slr bodies.

My budget is right under $100, perhaps $80 for a decent slr bodies with a short zoom as in pentax 35-80 f/3.5-4.5 zoom. And I have seen a lot in ebay, please advice me which models I should look after:

1. pentax zx-10
2. pentax zx-5n
3. pentax zx-7
4. pentax pz-1
5. pentax mz-50
6. pentax mz-30

And I don't have the expertise to tell which one stand out from the other. I want it to have close functionality to my K100D with Auto Focus and Av and Tv priority. I want a flash shoe mounting sharing an auto flash with K100D. Rough requirements and uses:

1. use to learn b&w
2. use to learn slides
3. use as backup to K100D
4. use for things that I have not thought about that my k100D can't do as well, e.g. sports (just wishful thinking)

My current gear in Pentax and photoblog

gear:
Inexpensive gear with Pentax - Hin's Tech Corner

photoblog:
Photography Portfolio of Hin - Hin's Photoblog

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-14-2007 at 05:18 PM.
11-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Pentax MZ/ZX-Series Film Bodies (ZX/MZ bodies)
Pentax Z/PZ-Series Film Bodies (PZ bodies)

The MZ-30 and MZ-50 bodies both have crippled K-mounts like our digital bodies. I'm not sure if they support stop down metering on -M lenses. My *ist film body does not. I'm not sure about the MZ-50, but the MZ-30 is pretty similar to the K100D in terms of how Av and Tv modes work.

The ZX-5n and the ZX-10 don't support aperture controls through the camera body so you'll have no way of directly controlling the aperture on DA and FAJ lenses. They'll work great with lenses that have aperture rings though. You can use them in Av mode by turning the aperture ring on the lens.

I believe the ZX-7, ZX-L/MZ-6, and PZ-1 all support aperture controls through the body or using the lens aperture ring.

The ZX-30 and ZX-50 are the North American versions of the MZ-30 and MZ-50, respectively. The same goes for the ZX-10, ZX-7, and ZX-5n. When you search on eBay, you can search for both by using this syntax:
(MZ-30, ZX-30)

inneyeseakay is selling a ZX-10 on the forums, which, I believe, actually sold to him a few months ago. It's in good condition and he seems to be taking reasonable offers.

Last edited by igowerf; 11-14-2007 at 05:13 PM.
11-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thank you so much for all the help! I have sent PM to the person with zx-10 and I hope I hear back from him. Is the zx-5n better than the zx-10. From casual browsing on the spec, I don't see the big difference as I am still looking in a hurry.

Thanks,
Hin
11-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The zx10 has done fine with me - I do understand the 5 is 'better' in that it has more features / controls... I've used it with the DA/FAJ lenses without the aperture, and big deal, I shoot in program or shutter priority. It's a very light weight camera, small. I think either one's a good deal.

11-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm probably beginning to sound like a broken record, but go for a PZ-1 / PZ-1p.

Dual thumb wheels like *istD and K10D, full apature control of electronic lenses, good fast autofocus, works with all manual lenses, everything you own for the K100 should work with this camera, and it has a 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 full sync

This is not a little wee camera like so many pentax made but a real high end full size full feature camera. When it forst came out it was ment for very serious amatures

Note, if you want to do sports, and can get close, use one of the power zoom lenses. The PA-1 has image size tracking, if you frame while (for example) are zoomed in, and theplay is coming towards you, the camera will zoom out to keep the point of focus the same size
11-15-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks!

Much thanks for all the replies. I have narrowed down to few choices

1. pentax pz-1
2. pentax zx-5n
3. pentax pz-20
4. pentax pz-10
5. pentax zx-10 (I can get body for $30)

and I am watching. Thanks for all the great inputs. I like choices 1, 2 and 3 as those have bigger viewfinders. But I have to say I like the zx-5n body as it is lightweight. And I am sure I will be thrilled to get a good copy of any of the great SLR bodies from Pentax to enjoy photography in another dimension. Not that I will abandon the digital, but I like to experience photography a bit different from the norms as I find the enjoyment with discipline from an slr body that mistakes can't be corrected until later. And that push me to carefully framing the shot and double checking on all settings and not rely on the lcd for preview. I may be onto something contradictory but I find discipline in practices goes a long way for me to improve on photography. I am quite lousy in making repeated mistakes with auto settings such as those in auto-iso, forgetting white balance reset, qucik composition without much thought, and others. And my love for b&w can go up several notches with slr body. Not to mention my admiration on slides that I have not tried but fascinated when I was a kid seeing my elderest brother slides from an antique machine in the dark displaying his flower pictures. Oh man, I am bitten bad with the photography loving bugs. Not LBA but simple love of taking and composing a picture.
Thanks,
Hin
11-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got pentax pz-20 for $20.50

I am bad and impatient, my bid assistant in ebay get me the lower choice of the bunch. I get the Pentax pz-10 for $20.50 together with a Pentax 28-80 and I don't quite know with the wording for 'power zoom.' It looks good to me except part of the cover is gone in the lens. Picture of the purchase here:

The only complaint is on the smaller viewfinder, probably similar to k100d, but not as good as k10d. I want to use this body for also manual focusing lens, even those m42 mount so that I can opt to use this 2nd body to practice for both b&w and manual inexpensive lens with m42.

Thank you all for the help,
Hin
11-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
It looks good to me except part of the cover is gone in the lens. Picture of the purchase here:
Note you are missing the switch that allows different power zoom functions such as image size tracking,

if you can find the parts it should be easy to fix

11-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I get pz-20 also

Hin Man wrote:
I am both bad and aggressive at the same time. I saw something too
much to pass and I got a pz-20 along with Sigma 75-300 and another
perfect Pentax 28-80, a rokunar 2x tele converter, all two lens with
polarizer and uv filter for $61 late in the day. So now I have two slr bodies with
pz10 and pz20. Picture of pz-20 that I won with Sigma
75-300.

I am lucky to have 2 slr bodies and 3 lens, 1 tele for a total of
less than $81.50 today excluding shipping.

1. pz-10
2. pz-20
3. sigma 75-300
4. Pentax 28-80 (power zoom switch broken)
5. Pentax 28-800 (a good one)
6. Rokunar 2x tele converter
7. 2 uv and polarizer filters

I am very happy today beyond words. Thank you all for the tremendous
help. And I need to find the componenets that I don't need to shove
it back to ebay. I never sell anything in ebay and I have to do it
for the 1st time.

Hin

>
> > Thanks for the comment. I am bad and impatient, my bid assistant in
> > ebay get me the lower choice of the bunch. I get the Pentax pz-10
> > for $20.50 together with a Pentax 28-80 and I don't quite know with
> > the wording for 'power zoom.' It looks good to me except part of the
> > cover is gone in the lens. Picture of the purchase here:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > The only complaint is on the smaller viewfinder, probably similar to
> > k100d, but not as good as k10d. I want to use this body for also
> > manual focusing lens, even those m42 mount so that I can opt to use
> > this 2nd body to practice for both b&w and manual inexpensive lens
> > with m42.
> >
> > Thank you all for the help,
> > Hin
> >
11-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like you got quite a deal there.
12-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Whick to pick: Pentax pz-1 and zx-5n

If you see a good copy of either Pentax pz-1 and Pentax zx-5n, which would be your pick. Both are in good condition and cost about $100.

Thanks,
Hin
12-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
If you see a good copy of either Pentax pz-1 and Pentax zx-5n, which would be your pick. Both are in good condition and cost about $100.

Thanks,
Hin
I tried the 5n, didi not like it, and bought a PZ-1. and its a great camera. If it was me, i would get the PZ-1. Much nicer camera, has the hyper program and manual modes, and dual thumb wheels that are good to have.

$100 seems a bit cheap for the pz-1, make sure its in decent shape.

Dave
12-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I got the pz-1

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
I tried the 5n, didi not like it, and bought a PZ-1. and its a great camera. If it was me, i would get the PZ-1. Much nicer camera, has the hyper program and manual modes, and dual thumb wheels that are good to have.

$100 seems a bit cheap for the pz-1, make sure its in decent shape.

Dave
Too late to make a change, I have the pz-1 ready to be paid once the seller add up the shipping cost.

Much thanks!
Hin