Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Should I go crazy with a ME-SE or wait ?

I'm looking at a listing for an immaculate condition of a ME-SE with other accessories.

However this will blow my budget for getting into SLR world (Going to get the K5 very soon)

Should I skip splurging on this and I could do better with a cheaper and better manual SLR ?

Is there much collectibility for the ME-SE? I've seen more with the ME Super and even the ME Super SE and also the MX.

06-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will depend on if you want to work a lot with film or not. The ME-SE is nice little camera but the ME-Super is better because of the manual control it offers along side the auto exposure. The extra lenses it has will fit on to the K5.

If film is not in your future I would still look into getting the camera for the lenses that come with it. Just see if the price of the package is worth it. The ME-SE itself could be resold to another person.

If your money is tight, I would leave it to put towards the K5 and worry about extra lenses until latter.
06-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ah, I think I didnt mention about my K-x + FA43 and etc.

Lenses are not what I'm looking for, but a classic SLR body.

I'm just wondering if the ME SE would still be considered a collectible and worth something
06-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hide Quote
I'm just wondering if the ME SE would still be considered a collectible and worth something
It depends on the condition of the body. I will pay $300-$500 for that particular unit, in original box with no (zero) signs of usage, others may even pay more - the average ME-SE body, from what I have seen, goes for $40 - $100...

06-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just for comparison and as an additional point of information: KEH currently has a ME SE in EX condition for $99. KEH EX truly is so.

If your aim is for the K5, save your money. You can get a very usable Pentax film camera for much less money (whatever it is you're thinking of splurging, or even the KEH $99) - and one that's more suited to a 'real' photo enthusiast, rather than a quasi point n shooter

And an addendum to what Joe says: if you plan to use it, and it is in the type of condition he describes, with the box etc, then you shouldn't plan on using it