Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dead Program Plus? NOOO..!!!

Just acquired this beauty, it came with no batteries. When I installed a fresh set, no sign of heartbeat..

Am I missing something, or is it really.. dead?

07-01-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm... first thing I'd try is to take the batteries out, and put them back the other way. This has fixed my cameras a remarkable number of times
07-01-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can second that- I've actually ended up returning a perfectly good camera once...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm.. reversing the batteries, or change the order only?

07-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
..reversed.. shuffled.. no pulse
07-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that. Now you need to go to plan B. Unfortunately I don't have mine at hand to simulate this, but here's what I would try:
1a. try all shutter speeds on the dial and observe if the shutter speed in fact changes in manual mode
1b. try the same in auto mode, changing the aperture and how bright a thing you point it at - does the shutter fire, and does it fire with different speeds?
2. excercise all the controls you can find on both camera and lens - ASA dial, wind it, 'rewind' it, use the self timer...
3. does it meter in manual mode? or not at all?

There are specific spots on some cameras (I don't know about PgmPlus) where a particular area of the body may be a soft spot - e.g. on some Minoltas there's something under the rewind/asa dial that can clean itself via changing the ASA dial several times.
07-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Sorry to hear that. Now you need to go to plan B. Unfortunately I don't have mine at hand to simulate this, but here's what I would try:
1a. try all shutter speeds on the dial and observe if the shutter speed in fact changes in manual mode
1b. try the same in auto mode, changing the aperture and how bright a thing you point it at - does the shutter fire, and does it fire with different speeds?
2. excercise all the controls you can find on both camera and lens - ASA dial, wind it, 'rewind' it, use the self timer...
3. does it meter in manual mode? or not at all?

There are specific spots on some cameras (I don't know about PgmPlus) where a particular area of the body may be a soft spot - e.g. on some Minoltas there's something under the rewind/asa dial that can clean itself via changing the ASA dial several times.
This is my first experience with Program Plus also. I do know that this camera require battery power even just to "start up", quite like a car. The problem I'm having is that I'm having entirely no sign of "life" here. There's no metering activity on the viewfinder. The shutter won't work, the winder wind only once, but then won't wind again (because the shutter will not snap).
07-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

yes so it is, no mechanical shutter speeds... apart from checking that the batteries are indeed good, and unless someone here has another suggestion... you have plan C: ask Eric if he has the parts to repair this. Home

07-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ehm.. a very stupid question: Is it necessary to put in a roll of film to make this camera 'reacts'?
07-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nope. Amazingly, it doesn't need film to 'take pictures', only batteries
07-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Are the battery contacts clean? If there is any sign of corrosion on the contacts, scour it with sandpaper. Even if there is no sign of corrosion try cleaning the contacts with alcohol - might have some oil and dust accumulated on them.

Thanks,
07-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
IT"S ALIVE! IT"S ALIVE!!! THE LCD LIT! IT WORKS!

The problem is the battery cover/door. The previous owner must have mistakenly put a cover from other camera or even from other system. Or probably the original cover is lost, and replaced with a wrong one. Since I believe that most chassis should be running (-) electrical current, but this battery cover has (+) sign on it. This gave me a hunch. Thus, I opened the back bottom cover and jump the battery (-) contact directly to the chassis and the LCD lit and gave metering! But when I screw the bottom cover back again, LCD went dead again. Looking closely, I noticed that the the cover did not touch the (-) part of the battery, which is the bottom part of the battery, rather it directly touches the sides of the battery, which is the (+) part. That means the camera has no (-) current supply. I suspect this cover is for a camera that require it's battery to be inserted in a backward position than the Program Plus and from a system that have (+) current running on it's chassis, or at least at the bottom plate.

So my simple solution for now is to put a of connector (made of cigarette box foil ) that is thick enough to put space between the battery and the cover, that way it prevent the battery's (+) sides to have contact, while still maintaining the battery's (-) contact with the bottom plate
07-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Brilliant! Congratulations!
07-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Brilliant! Congratulations!
Thanks!
07-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #15

Glad you got it working, I have a Program Plus and it's a nice camera.