Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
American Gangster and Pentax

So My wife and I just went to the new movie with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. Good movie BTW, highly recommended. Anyway Russell Crowe and his crew of undercover cops has Denzel's character under surveillance in many scenes and they are using a few different Pentax film bodies for the shooting. I think an SP1000 and later on a K1000. The camera name is prominent in at least 4 scenes.

Maybe a little Pentax product placement in a very well received movie? It would seem so and further evidence of the more aggressive approach to marketing the brand just like all the new print ads we've been seeing. Looks good and I thought it was interesting that it wasn't a Canon or Nikon.

My wife laughed when I pointed it out to her as we watched. She knows I need therapy.....

Last edited by Peter Zack; 11-17-2007 at 09:29 PM.
11-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They could have easily slipped in the new K-Series and 99% of the public would have never known

Plus it could have been a good private joke among us
11-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I should have mentioned that the movie takes place in the late 60's until about 1974 so the Spotmatic fits although the K1000 didn't come out till 1976. regardless the name is there and this is a popular movie so it can't hurt.
11-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #4

here's the best i can do..

i hope i did it justice..

11-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It just confirms that the Pentax WAS the camera to have in that era.

Product placement - hope so - I'm always looking for that. Noticed a couple of CSI episodes did not include a focus on the camera brand recently. Whereas in the past it hit you in the face - pow.
11-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Very good Dpest. It was a bit hard to tell while watching but that's clearly a Pentax SV which was introduced in 1963 and fits the era of the film time line. Again i was surprised (pleasantly) that they didn't use a Nikon F But maybe PentHoya slipped a few dollars their way to feature the brand.

JC, With the more aggressive advertising they are taking and the sales of the K100D Super, K10D exceeding projections. I'm sure Pentax will be the stronger 3rd player soon enough.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 11-18-2007 at 08:33 AM.
11-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm sure Pentax will be the stronger 3rd player soon enough.
I hope NOT - can you imagine the price of lenses then!!!! LOL.
11-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very good Dpest. It was a bit hard to tell while watching but that's clearly a Pentax SV which was introduced in 1963 and fits the era of the film time line. Again i was surprised (pleasantly) that they didn't use a Nikon F But maybe PentHoya slipped a few dollars their way to feature the brand.

JC, With the more aggressive advertising they are taking and the sales of the K100D Super, K10D exceeding projections. I'm sure Pentax will be the stronger 3rd player soon enough.
I saw both Nikon F and the Pentax Spotmatic. My LbA self had a good chuckle when they had a close up of the camera. the lens looked like it was an "Image" brand or something.

11-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Went to see the same movie this weekend. the movie was great and basically told the true story of how things came into this country during the war. Washington's character was never under observation until the end of the war. So the spotmatic and K1000 were era choices at that time even besting Nikon for price. So I would say some one did their homework and found out a cop and police depts. couldn't afford the Nikon back then. I was thrilled to see Pentax on the screen, and wondered how much they got to allow the brand name to be used. I would say they made enough to produce a few new lenses.

I recommend the movie to everyone and I will always recommend Pentax.
11-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I do this. I try to spot the cameras used in movies, as some people try to spot cars, or watches, or whatever else is in there.

Of course, most of the time it's easy: You've got Leica (for "artist" photographers or the more sensitive photojournalists who tend to border on photodocumentaries), Canon if they're uber-leet, cutting edge photojournalists (three foot-long grey lenses all the way!) and Nikon Fs if they're the older, grizzled photojournalist (and a few Leicas, as well) and normally Nikons with a long, f2.8 lens, for the cop on stakeout, munching donuts and bitching about the coffee in a non-conspicuous van.

A personal chuckle is when Jennifer Connelly shoots through the fence at the refugee camp. Apparently, Leica lenses are so good they can magically teleport the shooter closer to the action, without having to use a telephoto lens.

Pentax, from what I can tell, was the non-serious photographer's serious camera, back in the day. They were good, they were solid - I imagine the instant-return mirror feature would've been a boon to photosurveillance, keeping the subject visible at all times.

I know lot of newspapers used Pentax as the "here, take a camera with you to the story" cameras, for the same reason I love 'em - if it gets broken, you're out considerably less. The irony is the ol' Pentaxes don't break so easily. Tim Page's first image he sold was on a Pentax (I think) AP or UPI sent him as a stringer in Laos.

And the Pentax Spotmatic is the only Pentax to capture a Pulitzer (think it was John H. Blair in '78.) I hope I can rectify that, one day.

At any rate, I love it that the film is a) giving Pentax a chance and b) being realistic, rather than going for the ol' "What would be the coolest camera at the time?" look, or getting a sponsorship. Or goimg for a complete anachronistic choice ("Hey, this Olympus OM20's fairly old, probably from the sixties or something, old enough, anyway.")
11-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #11
Site Supporter

So My wife and I just went to the new movie with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. Good movie BTW, highly recommended. Anyway Russell Crowe and his crew of undercover cops has Denzel's character under surveillance in many scenes and they are using a few different Pentax film bodies for the shooting. I think an SP1000 and later on a K1000. The camera name is prominent in at least 4 scenes.

Maybe a little Pentax product placement in a very well received movie? It would seem so and further evidence of the more aggressive approach to marketing the brand just like all the new print ads we've been seeing. Looks good and I thought it was interesting that it wasn't a Canon or Nikon.
Very good to see that Peter!

QuoteQuote:
My wife laughed when I pointed it out to her as we watched. She knows I need therapy.....
Besides, it's important that your wife know you show consistency time over time - you're a foundation, rock solid....

Cheers!
Marc