Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

How do I make my spotmatic all black?

I have a Pentax Spotmatic F that I want to turn all black. Cover the name, markings (except for the dials). What is the way to go? Spray paint it? If so, what kind of spray paint will give me a matte finish.

07-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Search over on the Pentax User forum. Guy on there has done several re-paints and gives details of what he used, plus pics of results.
07-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a frequent question on the RFF (Rangefinderforum.com Portal - Rangefinderforum) and the answer is that it ain't easy. Paint will not stick to the satin chrome finish on your camera. The general solution goes something like this:
  • Remove the chrome body covers from the camera
  • Electrolytically strip the chrome finish from the underlying brass
  • Clean and prepare the brass for paint
  • Prime
  • Paint with a high quality satin lacquer
  • Fill in the lettering with a white lacquer pin
The devil, of course, is in the details

Steve
07-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Banned

buy a black body spotmatic and cover up everything with gaffers or electrical tape. much easier than painting. also you can be like all the leicaphiles who cover up the thousands of dollars worth of leica logos with $1.50 worth of tape.

07-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
I see. I thought that it's as simple as spraying paint. :P Won't the tape make it sticky, I mean the residue.
07-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ColdEye Quote
I see. I thought that it's as simple as spraying paint. :P Won't the tape make it sticky, I mean the residue.
gaffers tape leaves no residue, and spray paint would never stick to the satin chrome much less a black painted body. if I may be so bold, what is the point in this little endeavor?
07-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
It's all brassed and there are lots of scratches. So I decided to give it a facelift. I'll go with gaffers tape then. Thanks.

07-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Banned

It's all brassed and there are lots of scratches. So I decided to give it a facelift. I'll go with gaffers tape then. Thanks.
so I assume yours is a black body yes? you know Leica users consider a well worn 'brassed' black body to be a good thing! mind sharing a photo of the body?
07-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Remove what is left on the brass, polish and lacquer coat it. You'll now have a gold edition of that Spomatic.
07-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You'll have to find someone to "powder coat" it black for you BUT you'll have to strip it down for the parts to be coated. If you can strip it yourself and reassemble then all you'll need is to find a local shop willing to do the pieces for you. Start with your local body shops.
07-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey, look what I've found. Maybe this guy can tell you more about where exactly he had it painted.
07-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the reasons they used to put real chrome finishes on 'silver' cameras was *because* they tend to be impervious to darn near anything. Pros got black ones because that made them less-obtrusive and *lighter.* Real old chrome finishes are *supposed* to be hard to remove or affect. That's why they're there.

Remember, a lot of these 'consumer' cameras were meant to be bought like fine watches, and cost the period equivalent of *thousands,* however unimpressive you find them now... They were sold on the idea they were supposed to last *generations* of family snaps use.

Not all met that standard, but those finishes weren't *meant* to ever come off or have things stick to them.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-20-2011 at 02:29 PM.