Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

asking for thoughts

Hello I have been looking at maybe getting a film SLR as well as my digital since I am thinking of taking black and white shots and I hear that film black and whites are better than any digital print so I saw this online PENTAX ZX-7 35MM FILM SLR CAMERA + 135MM LENS - (eBay item 110193255266 end time Nov-20-07 17:29:51 PST)
and I simply have a few questions 1) are my lenses compatible with this have the da 10-17 da 18-55 and the da 50-200 and i dont know about the tamron 28-75 and sigma 28mm all are autofocus 2) can the lens that comes with the camera be used on a digital k100d and 3) the real stupid one but i have limited knowledge of film is this an autofeed camera for the film or do you have to feed it to the other reel ? ok now get off the floor from laughing at the last one

11-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a very good camera.
1) yes to auto feed and DX (auto ASA-ISO reading) and motor drive built in
2)some of your lenses will work great others so-so
the DA series are cropped for digital. They will work but you'll see some vignetting and may need cropping in some images.
3) the others will work fine as they are Full frame for both formats.
4) the lens provided will work fine on both bodies same as #3

check out the following chart for lens/body compatibilities:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
11-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

DA lenses on film cameras

I recently got a K10D, with the 18-55mm kit lens. By coincidence, I still had three shots left on the roll of film in my SF-1, Pentax film camera.

Just for kicks, I put the 18-55 on the SF-1. I shot one picture at 18mm, one at about 28mm and one at 55mm.

As expected, the 18mm shot showed extreme vignetting and barrel distortion. It was, in effect, a fisheye. I'd guesstimate that the image circle was about 28-30mm in diameter. It filled the frame vertically, but there was unexposed film at each end of the frame.

At the 28 and 55mm settings, the image filled the frame.

I did not examine any of the negatives or prints very critically to see if there was any significant falloff of image sharpness at the frame edges.

But, yes, the 18-55mm kit lens did work on my film camera. It autofocused properly and the aperture worked as expected. Remember, though, that the DA lenses have no aperture ring. That isn't a problem on the ZX-7, but on some Pentax film cameras older than that, it would be. The camera must be able to control the lens, using the electrical contacts.

The ZX-7 does have a motor drive, if that's what you mean by autofeed.

You can download a manual for the ZX-7 at Pentax Imaging - Home. Its free.

Paul Noble
11-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
the real stupid one but i have limited knowledge of film is this an autofeed camera for the film or do you have to feed it to the other reel
I had the Canadian equivalent - the MZ-7 - and loading the film is very easy. Simply drop the 35mm canister into the left side of the camera, stretch out the leader until it comes exactly to the mark on the right side, close the door, turn the camera on and the film should automatically be taken up on the spool. You simply look at the display on top of the camera. If you see an "E" it didn't work. Open up the back and carefully realign the film again. If you get it correctly you will see "1" indicating you are ready to shoot the 1st frame. After the last frame is shot the film will automatically rewind into the canister.

On a more general note it is a fine camera and I regret selling mine. Compared to what I paid for it new, they are selling for peanuts now.