Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Program Plus - Some life... Barely

I recently picked up my father's Pentax Program Plus body with 35-70 lens. Unfortunately he passed away just over a week ago and my mother told me to take all the camera gear he had. He had this camera for years and I have used it before. I figured the batteries were dead since my father rarely used the camera. I replaced them and I got some life out of it, but barely. First I was only getting 1000 in the display. Was able to fire the shutter a couple times, but now I get nothing on the display unless I switch the manual with the aperture on A. I get a flashing E, until I move off A on the aperture ring and then I get a blank display again. I tried cleaning the contacts on the lens and on the body. I also tried with my Sigma 24-135mm that I use on my K20D and I still get nothing. I've tried playing with the various modes but I don't get anything, not even the 1000 shutter speed I was getting earlier. Just a flashing E when in manual mode with the aperture ring on A. Any ideas? (I did try swapping around the batteries as was mentioned in another thread but that just gave me no life at all)

07-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is normal for the Program Plus - there is nothing wrong with your camera. It reverts to the 1000 setting if you open the back. It's so you can load the film with fast shutter speed. Click and wind it a few times and it should go into its regular mode. The idea is that it stays on this setting until the film is advanced to the first frame.

I found this annoying when I had one, because I can load film in a way that gives me an extra frame at the start of the roll - but I couldn't with this camera.
07-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, new development. I swapped lenses, got 1000 on the screen, advanced, nothing, swapped to a different lens, got 1000 again, was able to fire the shutter and advance, then nothing again. Swapped to the first lens again, now I get P and was able to meter and fire off a shot, then nothing again. Swap to the 2nd lens, getting the ability to take a shot again... You can see where this is going. So this is what's happening. I don't think I want to have to change lenses every time I want to take a shot. Any insights?

Thanks gabriel, I did actually know about the 1000 for the film advance. I'm pretty sure this runs a little deeper though.
07-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

ahh, I see. Too bad. Good luck on the troubleshooting....

edit: try cleaning the battery compartment contacts if you haven't already.

07-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

With the Program Plus, the first 2 shots you need to advance through after loading the film, first shot will show "before 0" on the counter, the second shot will show "0", after the second shot you will be on "1" and ready to shoot. This is why I liked my KM, got 26 shots to a 24 roll exposure

---
07-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alright, I took one of my alcohol swabs and gave the battery compartment and cover a thorough cleaning on the contacts and threads and now it seems I can get consistent firing without changing lenses and turning the camera off and on. Seems to be working fine so far... Now I need to throw some film in it and start playing with it.
07-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

excellent! good to hear it.

07-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have to admit that I jumped right into the digital world of SLRs, so I'm going to have to unlearn a lot of things to be more selective shooting film. But I've always wanted to try shooting film. Can't wait to see how this goes.
07-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On a side note, is it possible to replace the foam strip in the body that the mirror slaps up against when it flips up? That strip is mostly gone now in this camera and it looks pretty deteriorated anyway. I of course don't want to ruin the mirror by taking it out completely. Any ideas?
07-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Look for

Ebay seller "Interslice." He currently has no items for sale, but the word is that his light seal kits are the best, as are the accompanying instructions. I am in no way affiliated with him, nor have I used any of his kits (yet.) There may well be other kits on the bay which may work as well, however; they'll not likely have the same reputation... good luck!
07-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hehe, thanks. I actually found a thread mentioning him with a couple links a little bit ago. I emailed him and he will be able to provide me with a kit. He said he's re-arranging things with his ebay and paypal accounts which is why he doesn't have anything up for sale now. Thanks for that info anyway.
07-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
You're welcome...

QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
Hehe, thanks. I actually found a thread mentioning him with a couple links a little bit ago. I emailed him and he will be able to provide me with a kit. He said he's re-arranging things with his ebay and paypal accounts which is why he doesn't have anything up for sale now. Thanks for that info anyway.
Anytime you need someone to be of nearly inconsequential use, I'm your man.