Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I remain a Pentaxian but only via film.

With all the issues with the whole digital lineup Pentax film base remains dare i say stable, there are no issues other than replacement part issues which is to be expected as they're considered "antiques" in the industry.

Down to my screw mount there hasn't been any issues other than "how do i scan a better neg", should we all just give up on digital and revert back to film? I'm sure Kodak would say, "Yes by all means"

We can still get images made in 15mins at the local OneHR lab but can we wait that long? We will have to take our time and click with care because a wasted frame is what? $1?

At least we won't be sniffing chemicals as much because so far there hasn't been too many issues with a digital home lab, well okay, printing at home can be costly if we don't know how to see colour or tones properly

Why does it seem that Pentax has too many issues with each new release, or maybe i just spend ALL my time in here

Come on Pentax, start putting more effort into you digital offerings so they hopefully will become "working" dinosaurs too. Don't be too quick to market at least test more intensely before release.

*mods please move to appropriate sub forum...i didn't know where else to digress*

07-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I am actively using MZ-5N and MZ-6 together with digital K-x, K-7, and D7000. The two Pentax film cameras are very durable and share the lenses with digital cameras.
07-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well I use regularly a Spotmatic and a K-r, and I have to say, the K-r is a fantastic value for me, the K-5 or any other DSLR is hardly worth the extra money. Maybe a full-frame would be, but then I wouldn't even dream of buying one because of price. The Spotmatic is a fantastic camera too, much easier to use and sexier than any digital, but acquiring film may be an annoyance, that's true. So what exactly is disappointing you about current DSLR lineup?
07-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #4

Using both film and digital is great fun. I'm still shooting with a K100d, no problems, and when the mood strikes (as it does often), I take out one of my half-dozen film cameras. I keep thinking I should thin out the film cameras, but it's nice to have this richness of choice. Here's what I have in film cameras: P3n, SF1n, ZX-M, Spotmatic II, as well as a Zenit-E (M42 mount) and, because heresy can be diverting now and then, a Nikon N75. Each has its own charm.

07-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I still use film more than digital. My K10D has served me well for years and will continue to be my work horse. Film isn't hard to come by, and developing isn't either if you know where to look.

My film arsenal includes my first SLR, the K1000, along with a K1000 SE, KM, K2 DMD, MX, LX, ME Super and Super Program. All except the KM are used regularly. I find using film a joy. But I've never really had a complaint with my K10D, except maybe it's not full frame.
07-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I got the K-r because it is small enought to take with me when shooting MF or LF film. But I do intend on using my MZ5n more now that I have it as it was inconvient taking it along plus lenses when I was using a D200.

I think the number of issues with new digital cameras versus film ones of the past is multi facet, one is there is more communications among users so you are reading compliants from around the world not just around the block, a bigger rush to get the product onto market, partly due to competetion but also due to the impatience of the customer base and thirdly the cameras themselves are much more complicated.

I'll lower the smell of chemicals when I get that exhaust fan installed in the darkroom.
07-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me too. Pentax DSLRs (nor any other brand) frankly do not interest me.
A simplified digital camera capable of high-quality results might though.
I like the Fuji X100 but just can't justify the expense. I remain content
to keep using my classic Pentax film SLRs and pocket 35mm cameras.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-12-2011 at 05:11 PM.
07-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
So what exactly is disappointing you about current DSLR lineup?
All the recurring issues with the current line up of bodies; i dismissed the first few reports , now posted videos are been shown and more users are coming out with the same issues. I would maybe ignore it if it was the Kr but the K5 which is their "pro/prosumer" body needs some major attention by Pentax if they're going to attract more pro shooters.
07-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still use my Leica M3 because it has a much better viewfinder than the Leica M8/M9 cameras do. I still use my Pentax LX and ME Super my film of choice these days is T-Max 100

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-28-2015 at 12:35 AM.
07-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I shoot both film and digital.
IMO, all the fears about a DSLR are unfounded and very much an unfair comparison.
If you used any DSLR as simply as a SLR, the reliability, costs can be just as low as any more modern SLR (eg. MZ-5n)
The images and chance to PP is way higher too.

What I mean is this.
A SLR is rather simple in that its no more than a light tight box that allows you to control Shutter speed/ Aperture and maybe throw in some creature comforts of DOF preview and metering, depending on the camera you have (eg. Spotmatic; ME; Mz-5n; etc)
'Sensor' (ie. film) is 'design locked' to be a 35mm size, that you can swap out for more sensitivity after 36 shots. Very little 'sensor' (ie. film) technology breakthru.
WB is controlled by filters or film type.

If you used a DSLR exactly as that :
Sensor - don't care and compare new sensors (so you 'lock down' the tech)
See the DSLR as no more than a light box that allows you to control Shutter speed/ Aperture.
W/B is always set a fixed one (don't rely on AWB); balance via filters.
Center weighted metering or even sunny16.
There just isn't too much to get worried or bothered with the camera not working as its supposed to.

My few cents.
07-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #11

I started out shooting film some 25 years ago on a K1000, but stopped shortly. A little over a year ago I dived deep into photography again, this time with a Nikon system. But felt the need to shoot some film again, and got a (very) used Pentax MX, a nifty fifty, and it's a pleasure!