Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

Can't open the back of the camera

I can't open the back of a Spotmatic that I just bought. I pull the rewind lever upwards, then a small sound, but nothing happens, it does not open. Any other ways to open it or fix this?

07-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tired to carefully pry it open with the revind lever raised? It could be that the light seals are sticky - happens with age.
07-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
won't that break it? I'll try it gently.
07-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
Got it open, I pried it really hard.

07-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you take off the bottom plate (on most Pentax models, just three accessible screws) you can pry without causing too much cosmetic damage. The rewind knob should be pulled up enough to release the latch, then held up with something, so you aren't trying to rip the latch off too. On some cameras, after removing the bottom plate, you can also remove the bottom hinge pin, which may help. Removing the top plate is kind of involved.
07-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

How hard did you have to pry? On my two Spotmatics, it doesn't require too much force. The rewind crank pulls up about 3/8 to 1/2 inch, which disengages the rewind shaft from the film spool. Then, it encounters a spring. You pull up another 1/8 to 1/4 inch or so, against this spring, which opens the latch on the camera back.

When you let go, the spring pulls the rewind crank back to the first position.

You certainly should not need to use any kind of tool. Some people, new to Spotmatics, are not aware that of that spring and think that that is as far as the crank goes.

On mine, once the latch is released, the back pops open, with no assistance. I do not need to pull the back from the camera body.
07-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
On mine, once the latch is released, the back pops open, with no assistance. I do not need to pull the back from the camera body.
On his, it appears that the foam has rotted and caused the door to stick. This is a common issue with old cameras before they have been serviced.

Steve
07-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well, it's stuck again, to open it I need to pry the top part of the back with a small flathead.

07-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Bamboo cooking skewers can be your friend with things like this: relatively-thick ones can apply nice even pressure without marring anything, and then you can use em (with a little rubbing alcohol) to clear out the gunk of the bad light seals.
07-20-2011, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

TIME FOR NEW SEALS!!!
get one of Jon Goodman sets, the instruction on replacement are here:
Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions