Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MZ-50 motor

I went to the local photomarket this early morning and see if i can hunt down a good film SLR. I could not find any MZ-5, MZ-6 only a couple of MZ50s and 1 MZ-60. There are also several fully manual spotmatics but I did not get those as I am looking for an auto camera as much as possible. So out of the MZ-50/60s there, i chose the one that look the most "respectable" and also did a series of test. The one I chose works really nicely when i am there. It works with my Tamron 28-75 and can AF, pressing the shutter button also work well. It also appear the film rewind motor is functional. The owner told me he did test the camera yesterday and assured me that everything is working and he even replaced the CR3 batteries with 2 new ones.

I did not pay very much for it. $25 bucks for the camera which comes with a sigma 28-80/f3.5-5.6 lens and a collapsible lens hood. Okay. To cut the long story short, the camera started to play up when i reach home and after i mounted my FA50. The motor starting to "whine" and pressing the shutter button seem to make it "whine" somemore. The mirror did not flip. Pressing any other button continue to make the motor whine.

I guess this is a classic case of "sudden" motor failure? Anything I can do about it? Shall I just bin it perhaps?

07-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would wait for some others to check in but I believe that the mirror motor running continuously to no effect is one of the symptoms of sudden mirror gear death.

On the plus side the lens and batteries are worth most of what you paid. You could try tearing down the body according to the mirror motor repair instructions here on the forum and if you get to the gear on the motor without damaging anything you can decide if you want to order the repair parts or just consider it a learning experience in case you decide to repair another body in the future.
07-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steinback. I STF but i did not get any hits on MZ-50 mirror motor repair instructions. I also googled but did not get much hits either.

Would u be so kind to point me int he right directions?

I am happy to do the repair myself and consider this a learning experience. I probably won't be able to fix this myself but I hope that by stripping the camera down I get to learn a little more about the bolts and nuts of a SLR camera.
07-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The repair instructions should be somewhere in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/39450-mz5n-mir...ce-manual.html

Taking pictures at each stage can be handy during reassembly.

07-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steinback. I just downloaded the instructions in that thread. I will attempt this soon.

Edit: I also checked that the replacement motor plus international shipping is USD23.33. Certainly not cheap considering that the camera is only A$25 with lens.

Last edited by raider; 07-31-2011 at 12:03 AM.
07-31-2011, 02:36 AM   #6

Or alternatively; a simpler approach

Yes, the cost of parts is a problem.

For this reason I tried this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/39450-mz5n-mir...ml#post1375101
07-31-2011, 03:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi CRM, incidentally I am also looking at the Mikroantriebe website to find the replacement pinion hear.

Is this -> Mikroantriebe KKPMO Mikromodellbau Onlineshop - Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zhne 25013 the right one for the MZ-50?

Edit: I see that if we just replace the pinion gear this way, we do not have to do any soldering (among other stuff) the way we would if we were to replace the motor?
07-31-2011, 04:47 AM   #8

Yep, no soldering and very little dismantling - that was the aim ;-)

The reference I posted is the right pinion for the MZ series cameras, the 'modulus' being the important number (for a perfect mesh). Also get he maximum depth (width) as this will make placement less critical.

I did not check your link, but if it's the same pinion as per the attached photo in my post you're good to go.

Read the written description I posted a couple of posts later, it gives clue about what to look out for.

BTW, if you're all thumbs, I would not attempt this, even in the 'simplified mode', you need some experience with pulling things apart - like the discipline to identify which screw goes where as you dismantle...different lengths and metal and self-tapping for example.

But the limited dismantling does avoid the most cumbersome and tricky parts, also if you are careful, the gearbox should remain in mesh so the mirror/aperture should remain in synch.

The MZ50 and MZ5n I repaired like this are still working, so there is no reason it should not work for you.
Good luck!

07-31-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I gather that the pinion gear should have an outside diameter of 3.75mm and has 13 Teeth.

But what should I select the Drill Hole dia? Should that 1.5mm or 2mm?

And I guess the Gearwheel Teeth should be 2mm?

Just want to make sure that all the parameter is correct. Thanks
07-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The motor shaft is 1.5mm. I always replace the motor and gear as a unit. The gear cited in CRM-114's thread is manufactured in China. If I can find it here at the toy stores, I will try to use it.

Last edited by violini; 08-02-2011 at 11:56 AM.
07-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and the gearwheel teeth is 2mm?