Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #1

Use my K1000 lenses on a DSLR?

Is there a Pentax DSLR that will accept the lenses I have from my K1000?

07-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All Pentax DSLRs will accept lens made for the K1000.
07-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

The great strength of Pentax dSLR is the backward compatibility of the lenses.

Yes you will be able to use your lenses on the newer Pentax dSLRs:
- bayonet K-mount lenses will mount directly, and
- screw type M42 mount lenses will simply need an adaptor (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html).

Hope that the comment will help.
07-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax is not like Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony; all old Pentax lenses will work on new Pentax cameras. All PK bayonet-mount lenses will work without adapters. All M42 screwmount lenses will work *with* adapters. EXCEPTION: Some Vivitar lenses with PK bayonet mount have a piece that protrudes too far. This can be easily and safely cut off or unscrewed. If you have any old Vivitar lenses, you should ask here before trying to put them on a new camera. And be sure to read the link that hcc provided above. Have fun!

07-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks.

I recently re-discovered the K1000 I bought in 1978 or 79.
I had given it to my son a dozen years ago and he still had it.

Now that he has no interest in it, I thought I'd try to reuse the lenses.
07-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I've been having lots of fun with K1000 lenses, SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5 and a couple others. I think you will find lots of inspiring pictures, and friendly help in the K club

Looks like HCC posted the link to the "using manual lenses"... well worth the read.

Last edited by mattt; 07-31-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: redundancy of previous post
07-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jprisbe Quote
Is there a Pentax DSLR that will accept the lenses I have from my K1000?
If all of your lenses are genuine Pentax (Asahi, Takumar, etc.), then you will have absolutely no problems. They will. of course, not become autofocus lenses when used on an autofocus camera, such as a Pentax dslr.

If any of you lenses are Vivitars, there is a potential problem with SOME, but not all Vivitar lenses. There is a guard that protects the aperture lever. On a few Vivitar models, this guard is too long and impacts the HSM power connections, inside the dslr lens mount. As RioRico said, this is easy to modify or remove.

There is also the dreaded "Ricoh Pin". Some third-party lenses, that are made for certain model Ricoh film slrs, use a modified k-mount, with an additional pin. This pin serves no purpose on a Pentax camera, but can become lodged in the screwdrive autofocus mechanism, making the lens extremely difficult to remove.

If the lens is not a genuine Pentax lens and is marked PK/R, it MAY have the Ricoh pin. Again, this is fairly easy to remove.

Read the stick thread in the Beginners forum for more information about using manual lenses on a dslr.
08-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great info. Now to decide which DSLR to get

08-18-2011, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The eternal question

Brand new you can have the K-r (entry level, but very good for an "entry" model.) or the K5 (the "prosumer" level.), both are excellent DSLR.

Second hand (and cheap but still very good) the K-x and K7 (the previous generation of the K-r and K5).

Or, older model like K20D (same sensor as K7) they are still good, but rather be cheap considering the "now price" of the K-x and K7 on the second hand market.

The entry level Kx and K-r are good value for the money. ( i have the K-x and it was the best 490€ i ever spend )
The K20, K7, K5 are really good. they have "weather sealing" wich allow them to be splashed by some water, without bad consequences. They have some Weather Resistant (WR) kit lense (the Kx and Kr kit lense are optically the same but doesn't share the "WR")

This is the basic answer.

But, now, the choice depend on :
- how much you wanna spend ?
- What do you want your body to have absolutly ?
08-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My criteria for selecting a camera:

1) budget (but that can be stretched, maybe)
2) user gripes -- avoid stuff that receives many complaints
3) capability -- get something I won't want to 'upgrade' anytime soon

3+ years ago, this analysis led me to the K20D and I'm quite happy with it. Were I choosing today, I might go for the K5 or Kr. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!