Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hopefully it shall be here tomorrow, the grip will be coming staright off it (I hate grips) and there will be no Motor drive attachments coming near it!

What I need to decide now is which version of 5omm f1.4 I should spend my cash on, or whether I should bite the bullet and choose between an 18mm or 20mm Pentax to replace my 19mm Vivitar.

The FB/FC finder system is intriguing - are there any good reviews of these that anyone can point me to to get an idea of whether I'm likely to want to invest in one of them, as I'm tempted to get a nice simple FA2 as I don't need flash and I think the smaller prism hump looks a bit nicer!

08-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Unfortunatey, the FB/FC finders are very hard to find at a not too unreasonable price. Motor drives too!

If you haven't seen it yet, check out http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/index.htm

BTW, of the era of cameras, the LX's IDM TTL flash system is possibly only equaled by the OM2/4 OTF TTL..
08-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alan Clogwyn Quote
Hopefully it shall be here tomorrow, the grip will be coming staright off it (I hate grips) and there will be no Motor drive attachments coming near it!

What I need to decide now is which version of 5omm f1.4 I should spend my cash on, or whether I should bite the bullet and choose between an 18mm or 20mm Pentax to replace my 19mm Vivitar.

The FB/FC finder system is intriguing - are there any good reviews of these that anyone can point me to to get an idea of whether I'm likely to want to invest in one of them, as I'm tempted to get a nice simple FA2 as I don't need flash and I think the smaller prism hump looks a bit nicer!
The FB/FC system finder is darker in use than the standard finders (partly due to all that glass), but immensely versatile. It will rotate to allow use as if it were a waist-level finder (useful if you ever shoot from very low angles). It was my standard finder when I used LXs. If you wear glasses, the high-eye point that the FC1 action eyepiece gives saves you from smacking them against the finder. Obviously if elegant lines are what you are seeking, the FB/FC combination won't give you that as it protrudes some distance behind the film back.

Note that the FA2 finder lacks the judas window of the FA1, so you will not see the aperture selected in the viewfinder.
08-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The FB/FC finder is great but I find it a bit bulky for everyday use and it doesn't fit inside the case. As a result I often leave it behind when I travel even though I like using it. The FA2 finder, although simple, is quite rare and tends to command high prices. Most of the time I stick with my FA-1W finder which means I can leave my glasses off!

The only finder I am missing now is the FD-2 but all the listings I have seen lately have been asking silly money for a very simple finder.

K.

08-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Of course to better appreciate the LX, I had to compare it to it's peers . . . ;-)

08-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Have alot to look foward to Alan.FB/FC finder(system) a system within a system.
Rather specific in application,but can be applied in so many ways its well worth
the investment.Action eye piece isnt ideal walk around but had chance to compare
to nikon F3(HP),sorry nikon,about all I can say.Can hold off close to 4 inches (100mm)
and not have a problem.Shooting macro with FB-1/FD-1 combo with bellows
or focus rail is another specific task where system really shines.Never seen or
used anything that comes close.
08-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well the LX has landed and I don't think I'll regret my decision to buy one. The metering is fantastic, een out of automatic I get considerably more accurate readings than the others in my collection, the mirror lockup feature is a godsend too espcially on my wonky tripod!

Of course it comes at a price - it's got a bit of sticky mirror and dodgy electrical speeds when held in portrait orientation grip sode down (I beleive this is caused by the aged pcb unde rthe ASA dial?) oh and the meter can still be activated with the shutter locked. Nothing a thorough service shouldn't be able to clear up.

I've stuck a roll through it anyway (well half a roll, I salveged it from my MX since the meter died) to see what the auto metering is capable of. Can't wait to get stuck in to using it properly.

Just need an FA2 for it now.
08-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alan Clogwyn Quote
Just need an FA2 for it now.
You won't get any change from £100 at very best. I have seen the FA-2 go for considerably more than that. Not sure why you are sold on that finder?

K.

08-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Congrats on the new camera Alan. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I almost pulled the trigger on an LX last month. It was in excellent condition and felt just great in the hand. Nothing in the Pentax line-up is as smooth and the LX film advance IMO.

In the end, as much as I was tempted, I just don't shoot enough film to justify the expense for my purposes. I also have a K2 and MX to fall back on if I feel the urge. These units might not be an Lx but they aren’t too shabby in their own right. Still saving for a K5.

Tom G
08-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
There's nothingike holding an LX to mkae you appreciate it, until it landed here physically in my hands I was in two minds as to whether I'd mad e agrave error in spending so much on film, especially a camera that needs a repair, but it is undeniably a very well put together bit of kit, I feel confident that I could use it to assemble a garden shed, and then take it's picture.

Electronic speeds seem a lot happier today, I've been unable to get it to jam at all, not has the mirror hesitated.
10-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I had this exact set-up. I sold the rail about 10 years ago...unused. Sigh.
10-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #27

Hi Alan, How are you enjoying the LX? I have just got mine back from Miles along with my Super A. I am struggling with them at the moment as I find it hard to see past my OM4T & Ti, the spot metering and highlight/shadow options are just fantastic for shooting in manual.

Had a bit of luck this morning though, bought a very nice Tamron 90mm SP with a PK mount from ebay and when it arrived the mount was a PKA.
11-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Of course to better appreciate the LX, I had to compare it to it's peers . . . ;-)
Thank you for this very useful visual comparison, If I am not mistaken, the LX was put out in competition with the Nikon F3. Why Pentax lost that battle is beyond me. Your chart makes the other cameras look wanting. To be fair only the LX and the F3 were pro cameras (the only pro 35 pentax ever made). The LX had the added advantage of being released as a complete system, unlike the other cameras, who's systems came out peace meal. My guess is that the LX came out hundreds of dollars more than the F3, looking at that chart,helps explains why. But had the LX been priced near the price of the F3, i think pros would have snapped up the LX instead of the F3, and pentax would still be in the pro market. Just a guess.
11-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #29
Site Supporter

I have an LX, the winder, and the system finder in addition to the usual prism. It is the camera which they will have to pry from my cold, dead hands! Welcome to the club.
11-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
this photo I think so very clearly distinguishes the design and engineering philosophies between canon nikon and pentax. i mean, look at the canon and nikon on either side of the LX. they look almost identical in size and design. like they were copying and one-upping each other, just as they still do today. then look at the pentax in the middle. when you know what the LX is and is capable of, nothing more needs to be said. just look at it sitting there. brilliant design and engineering. just brilliant.