Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
With the MZ-S you actually cannot control it directly, you can only use Tv mode, and then control the aaperture through the Tv
Hyper-manual?

Again...Tv mode is not that bad a compromise as long as the camera displays the computed aperture. The process is strictly analogous to using an older film camera without exposure automation such my KX, Singlex TLS, and 1000 DTL. The general flow with those cameras is to select a shutter speed and dial in the aperture until the needle centers. (Few are the cameras with shutter speed dials that are easily settable with the camera at the eye.) Simply set the shutter speed and let the camera do the work. Change the shutter speed if needed.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-02-2011 at 02:28 PM.
08-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Peter, as far as I can tell the DA*55 works fine on the ZX-L in Av mode. Obviously no AF, but it appears to cover the whole frame from what I can see in the VF.

08-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I can control aperture on my ZX30 and my P30T, for what its worth.
08-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hyper-manual?

Again...Tv mode is not that bad a compromise as long as the camera displays the computed aperture. The process is strictly analogous to using an older film camera without exposure automation such my KX, Singlex TLS, and 1000 DTL. The general flow with those cameras is to select a shutter speed and dial in the aperture until the needle centers. (Few are the cameras with shutter speed dials that are easily settable with the camera at the eye.) Simply set the shutter speed and let the camera do the work. Change the shutter speed if needed.

Steve
but the thing with controling the aperture with Tv is that when the camera detects a different level of lights, your aperture will change.

08-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

My Pentax ZX-60 is 100% functional with all of my DA* lenses (sans autofocus, of course). You get some cool vignettes with the ones that don't cover the whole frame.
08-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #21
Pentaxian

My PZ-1 works like my K20D in Hyper Program mode; the rear dial changes aperture value and the front dial changes the shutter speed. When an A lens is mounted, it works as any A lens does with Pentax DSLRs; AE without AF. When an M lens is mounted, there is no aperture value showing up inside the viewfinder but physically turning the aperture ring causes corresponding change to the shutter speed while the viewfinder remain bright. PZ-1 is pre PKAF2 the crippled mount (no annoying green button metering). an m42 lens with an adapter works the same as DSLRs; stopped down metering in Av mode (camera defaults to Av mode).

Hope this helps,
08-03-2011, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

My bleary eyes read the subject as ACUPUNCTURE CONTROLLING BODIES and I thought of pins and needles. Ouch.
08-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Direct control of aperture from the body started already with the S/SF series (one series before the Z/ZX). At least the top models provide a "wheel" (actually it looks like a switch, but functions the same way as a wheel), which can be used without taking your eyes from the viewer
I own a SFXn, and in P, Av, and M mode you can "dial" through the aperture values.
I also own a Z20, an there it is roughly the same.

08-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
I can control aperture on my ZX30 and my P30T, for what its worth.
Not with the P30t. Not possible.
08-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The ZX-7 does what you want, only with a "paddle" to change the setting, instead of a control wheel. Also, a manual focus screen from a ZX-M drops right in. Once you become accustomed to the paddle thingy it actually works pretty well.
08-04-2011, 03:23 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
thanks all for the replies. I am indeed looking for film camera that can use Av mode. I have DA*55 which supposedly covers 135 frame but lacks aperture ring. So I'd love to be able to use normal Av mode with e-dial. Unfortunately Z/PZ bodies were not on top of my list but it seems they might be the best option... and if they can handle AF500FTZ that would be added bonus...
PZ-1 and PZ-1p can do all you describe/ask and much much more.

it is a big camera though. Fullsized film body but a very good camera. I don't use mine often enough, but I do shoot with it at least once or twice a year. Last time was 4 rolls of ISO 3200 B&W film
08-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Yes SF-1 is able to control aperture via the non rotating fake wheel. Its cheap and nicely shaped if you prefer the shape of dslrs to traditional slrs. Come to think of it , It's better than my Kx, the shutter button falls in a more comfortable position . I know i'm not supposed to, But I do like this one. But it AIN'T no compact !

Eric
08-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Feel whats been mentioned regarding A series bodies forward,correct.
Although it seems on some,pentax engineering controls apeture and user
gets to stand by and watch.(P3n,P5 in my experience)
ZX-L(s) owned go the 'whole nine yards'
08-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
thanks all for the replies. I am indeed looking for film camera that can use Av mode. I have DA*55 which supposedly covers 135 frame but lacks aperture ring. So I'd love to be able to use normal Av mode with e-dial. Unfortunately Z/PZ bodies were not on top of my list but it seems they might be the best option... and if they can handle AF500FTZ that would be added bonus...
How come the Z/PZ bodies were not on top of your list. I have the Z-20, and think it is a great camera. Not too big, and you can control the aperture through the body
05-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Thanks to the OP for making this thread! On the KMP site it says that the MZ-3 has Av mode - therefore, you can control aperture in-body, right? I'm looking to buy this one at a local secondhand shop (needs some repair with the mirror though). Doesn't have to have control wheels, buttons will do as long as I can use my DA 35 with it (which is largely said to be FF-compliant also).

I would recommend the Z-1P though it's really big. I've seen an SFX/SF1 alongside the MZ-3 I'm planning to buy and they can control aperture directly from the body via buttons (tested it, so I can guarantee). Prob with the SF1 though is the battery - 2CR5's aren't very common in stores nowadays (or at least in my country maybe)