Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #1

Spotmatic light meter not responding to aperture

Hello! I recently got a Spotmatic SP, so of course I'm having light meter issues.

With the meter switch on the light meter pegs at +over-exposed at all shutter speeds except at 1/500sec where it reacts to changes in light but not changes to aperture, and 1/1000sec where it pegs -underexposed. I'm using a Renata 394 1.55v silver oxide battery.

I've searched for hours through forums and haven't found a clue, please help me! I'll try anything you say!

(The light meter wasn't functioning at all prior, to get to this point I've cleaned the battery well and contact tab, bent the contact tab a bit to make sure it reached the battery, removed the bottom panel and cleaned the battery contact points. It finally responded after putting electrical tape over the positive end of the silver-oxide battery with a hole in the middle for contacting the battery tab and adding a little metal spring in the battery cap to make better contact at the negative side.)

Last edited by squido; 08-07-2011 at 05:02 PM.
08-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1st things first.
Is your battery on the right polarity?
set the ISO in 100, speed in B and move the switch, The needle should drop to -
If it goes to + your battery is upside down

Then is you lens closing down when you flip the switch?
If youi have another camera chek where the settings should be and test arund those numbers.

Also move the speed dial several times back and forth as it may be a thin layer of oxide

I don' t know what else can help except a full CLA
08-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you so much for responding, I tried and double-checked:

Polarity is correct on the battery, ISO 100 speed B the needle dropped to -

The aperture is closing down properly in meter-mode, no problems with that.

I tried matching some readings with my K1000 (which works great), but I sorta knew that the SP is not even close. When the needle isn't pegged at + it's not for any rational reason, sometimes it even changes which shutter speeds it'll drop for.

Moving the speed dial back and forth didn't produce any results.

Sigh.

CLA is out of the question for my budget, so I guess it's either an independent light meter or since this lens is in great shape I could find a good deal on another Spotmatic body.
08-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried opening the bottom of the camera? maybe the wires are corroded.....
Check the red and the black wires

Also sometimes this cameras just need exercise.....