Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any experiences/tricks on how to take off LX' top cover?

Hi All,

I'm pretty good at taking things apart, but not that good at putting them back Especially cameras. So far I've taken two cameras apart (both Probram Plus), but couldn't put them back on.

Now here is the question, I'd like to explore the same thing on two of my LXs. Basically I want to swap their top covers (one works great but w/ a scratched up top, the other one isn't working well but has perfect cover). I know LX' top covers are seperated into two parts, not like most other Pentax old film cameras. I see some screws here and there, but I'm sure there are some screws are hidden under some covers (film winder, mode dial and etc...).

I found the service manual here:
Pentax Manuals

But haven't looked at it yet. Before doing that, I'd like to ask if anyone here has ever opened an LX, any tricks and tips to share? I still can't figure out how to take off the mode dial yet. I'm sure the film winder knob can be taken off if I can figure out how to take off the small round cover, but can't figure out how to take off the mode dial yet.

The tools I have: some screw drivers and tweezers, quite a few small screws from the two Program Plus which I might be able to use if I lose some on the LX ...

Your replies will be very appreciated.

Thanks and cheers!

Frank

08-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the top of the LX body, right next to the rewind spool there is a leaver. Push it towards the eyepiece and the eyepiece module slides right off.
08-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After re-reading your post, it sounds like you want to swap out the whole top of the camera body. Not so sure that it would be worth it, IMO.
08-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
On the top of the LX body, right next to the rewind spool there is a leaver. Push it towards the eyepiece and the eyepiece module slides right off.
Yeah, I know how to take off the finder. What I'm trying to swap is the top cover. But thanks anyway for your reply

08-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
After re-reading your post, it sounds like you want to swap out the whole top of the camera body. Not so sure that it would be worth it, IMO.
Well, if it's not too much of a trouble or risk, I don't mind spending sometime on it
08-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Have you looked over the repair manual? Disassembly is described... I've only open the rewinder side to try to correct a bad contact... already been opened and left unsealed by a dishonest repair guy (hosed me for repairs he never done).

You will need to uncap the winding lever which is a clockwise twist. Then unscrew the retainer under it which is a clockwise twist with a spanner or slit slot driver. Then remove the rubber grip when set to 2000 and to undue the screws. Set the camera to Auto and must be in cocked position. Remove the last screws side and top. Now you have to pry against the rubber seal.
08-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Forum Member

I too wouldn't do this just for cosmetic reasons. I've taken off the top covers and it's all too easy to bend them or turn up the edges as they are essentially glued on with silicone sealer in addition to the few screws and shaft collars and they've got to be coaxed/pried/sliced from the body. The cover pieces were commonly replaced with new parts when service was done at the factory repair center. They were relatively inexpensive parts.There was also a flood of covers that hit eBay (new top left and right, and bottom covers) several years ago and a flood of old LX's swathed in new covers after that. Serial numbers are stamped into the bottom covers... even the spare parts ones, so I've been told on the old MIR LX board some years ago.