Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Out of those 448 photographs the highest ISO used was ISO 2500. Not a single picture taken at 3200 or 6400, was selected.

So this is what I think. Most of the really good pictures are still taken between ISO 100 and ISO 800... ...Have the pictures you took at ISO 3200 been worth taking? Were they actually good pictures worth publishing?
The choice of images published by Amateur Photography magazine is representing only fragment of all photographs currently made. Many photographs are produced for totally different purpose than be published there. High ISO is often crucially useful in reportage and documentary genre, which is not the mainstream published by AP magazine (I suppose). Sometimes having any picture is more important than have "really good" picture
The same goes for film material. How many 1600 - 3200 ASA films are sold compared to 100 - 400 ASA? Those who are using them know exactly why they do so.

Pavel

08-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am sometimes glad my K-x can go there but I don't often use iso settings above 800 actually. The K-x is far better at doing high iso shots sans noise than my *ist was, but still you start shooting at higher iso like 3200 there's a fair bit of noise. I do not like to go there unless I have to.

I can use noise reduction software, but I'd rather not as no matter how carefully applied it tends to take away a bit from the sharpness of an image. Usually I shoot at 100-400 range, occasionally up to 800, and that's it. I use the 3200 iso when there is almost no light at all and I can't bring any into the situation. Better a bit of flash light than tons of noise, IMHO. If I can't use one, then there's no alternative really, but I'll definitely take a flash and a lower iso than a really high iso if I can.

I don't actually need any more iso capacity and I would never buy a camera based on getting more of it. Same thing with megapixels. What I have got is perfectly fine now and more than meets my needs. The only reason I'd likely ever step up to a K5 or something like is because of the weather proofing. It might be handy for outside work, but actually a K5 is a bit too much camera for my needs.
08-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Good responses above. "New and improved!" has been the marketing mantra for decades. And sensors are semiconductor arrays and thus subject to Moore's Law. We can expect to see denser, faster sensors as long as fabs keep churning them out. Within a decade: 1Gpx ISO-1G (giga-pixel giga-ISO) sensors in your wearable computer-cams. Bet on it.
that is quite mouthfull

we sure have to find something..

something we can easily remember..
08-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
that is quite mouthfull
we sure have to find something..
Something we can easily remember..
It's a GIGA-CAM!!