Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

super me question

Hi i've just recently got into film photography.
I'm currently shooting with a pentax super me that belonged to my father.
I bought new batteries when I started using it, the light meter worked for a while. i stopped using the camera for a peroid and when i started again the light meter was dead.. i tried new batteries, but it didnt work. i'm currently waiting for some proper silver oxide camera batteries off ebay. so i've been shooting on 125x mode.

anyway, when i move my aperture ring while my lens is attached to my camera i hear a click. but the aperture doesn't change.
i've noticed there is a little arm/level inside of the body and as soon as my lens hits that the aperture fully opens up. i was wondering if this is normal?
i read somewhere that you preselect the aperture and when you fire your shutter it changes, i tested that but i'm not sure if that's actually the case.

any info would be great!

thanks

08-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
The 125x mode is for shooting with flash (sync speed 1/125 sec). For normal shooting use the

A mode (Aperture priority where you set the aperture on lens aperture ring and the camera computes adequate shutter time for that lens opening and film speed) or

M (fully manual where you set aperture on the lens aperture ring and shutter speed by the + and - buttons on your ME Super top plate)

And yes, while the lens is attached to the camera, the aperture will not physically close until the actual exposure actuated by shutter button. It is called automatic aperture and it was the big invention in SLR world back in late 50s Thanks to that feature you can set your desired aperture and still have fully bright viewfinder to watch thru and comfortably focus & frame.
08-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the quick reply! do i need batteries to be able to set the shutter speed on M?
the only reason i'm on 125x is because i have no batteries. it's been working well though. been playing around trying to learn the basics

08-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
by the way i've been changing the aperture when i take photos but i only really started to think about why my viewfinder doesn't change.

08-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #5

The ME Super is battery dependent camera with electronic shutter - unlike its fully mechanical brother Pentax MX. Without batteries is available the 1/125 and B.

I Hope that set of fresh batteries will bring your ME Super back to life, this camera deserves to be used

Good luck!
08-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
eh i had it jam up before when i was testing the automatic aperture. so i rewound and took the film out. i tried to load a new film in but my shutter is inoperable and my wind level is flimsy.. i've noticed that the little arm inside of my camera that opens my apeture up is now on the other way and im freely able to change my aperture..
is anybody able to help me fix it? i'm unable to load film into my camera.. i think i may of broke it?
08-10-2011, 02:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
the mirror is in up position

08-10-2011, 02:57 AM   #8

Lets start with selecting the 125X mode again. If that does not help and the mirror does not flip back down, then take the camera for repair.
08-10-2011, 03:03 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
no luck. ironic, i break my camera the night i register on the forums. haha.
08-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Sampy,hate to hear that about your Me super.Have a look at this link.
Especially note scenario #2-"Release cycle not complete"
Open you camera and compare.If things look about same,follow along
with suggestions in there and see what happens.
Dont need your batteries,just leave it on 125x

Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems
08-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i'm fairly sure it looks like the third image under method 2.
i'll check when i get home. how does one go about pushing the curtain down? it isn't really explained.. the camera is quite clean inside
08-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sampy Quote
how does one go about pushing the curtain down? it isn't really explained.. the camera is quite clean inside
Hey Sampy, In same section of forum here,where you made post.There is a thread
on page 2 titled "found ME super... By Keanu. In it,there's a picture with a white
arrow pointed at the spot.Think that link says use fingernail,I feel edge of plastic
I.D. card or something alike better for cleanliness.As you mentioned your's is
clean,thats the way you want to keep it.Even the cleanest hand's have a bit
of oil on them,that little bit will hold dust.

Find that pic,note the arrow...then with clean make-shift tool (card,what ever)
very gently press down towards bottom of camera... should complete shutter stroke.
"All the dominoes will (should) fall"
One thing to keep in mind is not press too hard inwardly on shutter curtain...
very delicate,once bent,its shot! That would be toward lens mount.
And keep fingers clear of mirror so it can flop down.

Study that link,look at pic in thread on page 2 here,you'll see what I mean.
08-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
it's defiantly broken.. i have a new one on it's way. looking to buy a good flash for my camera. any ideas?
08-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Bad news Sampy,hate to hear it. AF200 series flash good & cheap.Can use either
(S) or (T) models.S is just auto,manual and T model let you use TTL if you have
a body with that capability.Can use on DSLR too, find them all over for under $30.
Thats the very low end of it.Have one of each,happy with them.Cheap and dependable,
bottom line.Probably want to shop around if you want more sophisticated capabilities,
on body-bounce and so on.Sky is the limit there.Good thing about ME super and alot
of other film bodies is the ability to use older model flash with high trigger voltage.
Cant use them on DSLR because of that,opens the market a bit for you
in that respect.Just have to be careful when buying something used like that.