Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Gotcha

08-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Any drugstore I've had digital scans made at were always at a very low DPI. Here's an example of two photos with similar face sizes done on the same Noritsu machine.
Attached Images

08-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a 'pro' lab simply because I found that the cheapo places scratched the negs, introduced colour casts and generally made a mess of the images, the scans were the least of my worries. CVS in New York were the worst. I get lo-res scans done by the lab as they are generally good (although it varies from film to film, the last roll of black and white film was really flat and needed major tweaking in Lightroom) and of a suitable size for posting on Flickr etc. Only when I want a hi-res scan do I do it myself on my Minolta Scan Dual. The amount of time it would take to scan 36 exposures on the Minolta is worth the 4,50 to get the lab to do it for me! My main problem at the moment is that I have no way of getting hi-res scans of my medium and large format negatives without paying the lab some serious money.

K.
08-19-2011, 05:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
My main problem at the moment is that I have no way of getting hi-res scans of my medium and large format negatives without paying the lab some serious money.

K.
That's the rub of wanting digital files from film. You have to do it yourself and you do it for the love of it or not at all pretty much. And you don't scan every image off the roll, typically. Only the better frames make off any of my 120 rolls of film. And sometimes none at all.

08-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Any drugstore I've had digital scans made at were always at a very low DPI
The one's I used to get at Costco were high pixel dimensions (huge files), but very poor end resolution. The ones I had done at Target were of low pixel dimensions, but good quality fro the pixels that were there. Go figure...

Steve
08-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I use a 'pro' lab simply because I found that the cheapo places scratched the negs, introduced colour casts and generally made a mess of the images, the scans were the least of my worries.
The final straw that sent me to the pro lab was having several rolls come back underdeveloped. There was also the day when I saw one of the techs drag the end of a negative strip across the floor. The pro lab charges me the same as the drugstore for basic processing, but with much more consistent results.

Steve
08-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

My local Target does a pretty good job actually which is more than I can say for the local pro lab. There's only one really in this area but they just suck. I did half a dozen rolls there and every darned one of them came back scratched and/or spotted. The manager at the Target he keeps the machines there taken care of apparently and there are a couple of people in there who seem to know what they are doing. The worst was my local Ritz before they closed. What they did to a set of negatives should be illegal. That roll was completely ruined.
08-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
I would say ignore the pro vs drugshop arguments and find the place nearest you that does the best job. Or, better put, not the place, but the TECH -- the human being in the lab.

The place I get my developing/scanning done has one good guy working at one of their locations. I know his hours, approximately, and go to him.

Because, labor aside, all the rest is really so close to the same that it makes no difference. The "pro shops" will charge for the time taken by their tech to scan your shots -- but a good guy (or girl!) will do a good job regardless of where he (or she!) works.

09-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #24

Original Poster
I just got 4 rolls developed at the local pro lab. Very pleased with their results! Far superior to the "drugstore" scans that I did the first time around. And the price was better to boot. I opted to only develop the film and to have scans. They put the 4 rolls on one disc. So here are some pics. All comments welcomed although this is only my second batch of 35mm film, ever. All taken with K1000 and KM using 1.8 50mm and 3.5 28mm. No post processing. Thanks.
Attached Images

09-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
Veteran Member

drumhead, really nice work. What film were you shooting? Inquiring minds want to know...

Best,
Kevin
09-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #26

Original Poster
Thanks. Kodak Gold 100.
09-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Just FYI, I bought the Epson V500 just for this purpose. Figured I saved myself $500 in scanning fees.
And although it makes adequate scans, the software is ABYSMAL!! And there is no way to make a scan without it. (IF there is, PLEASE point the way) :-)
Basically, the default color correction is WAY off and must be modified for each scan. The software does not remember settings between each scan, you you must do a LOT of work with each one.
I quit after 100 scans. At about 5 minutes a piece, I am going to lose money on this deal.

Hopefully the V700 is better??

This is the type of stuff they won't tell you on the box or even in the manuals.
Scanner software in general is the worst of any software you'll find. So read up a LOT about any scanner you intend to buy.
Or just save the hours of banging your head against a wall, and send it to a lab. Sit in the sun, relax, have a beer or two while they do the work.
09-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
the software is ABYSMAL!! And there is no way to make a scan without it.
Vuescan may suit you.

Steve