Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
So, last sunday I got a KX at this outdoor camera fair. I had meant to just have the KX and the K2 in my hands, to understand them better. It is exactly what I could do and I liked them both, but the KX a bit more. When an hour later I found a really clean black KX at very little money, well I was sold right away . . .
Great kit, the KX & K55/1.8 are a perfect combo! Of course if you get a K2DMD you will also need a K50/1.2.

Phil.

08-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #17

Original Poster
ah really! You mean I couldn't use my K 50/1.4 ?
08-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter

ah really! You mean I couldn't use my K 50/1.4 ?
Nope the K50/1.4 matches best with the K2!

Phil.
08-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I own LX, K2DMD and KX bodies as well as several other Pentax models.
The KX is by far my most often used SLR.

Chris

08-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #20

Original Poster
Phil, I guess I should sell the K 35/2 before it has arrived, right?

As there is a lot of knowledge here, I hope you do not mind me asking some more opinions. Am I correct to think with the DMD the exposure lock is actived by pushing down the lever left of the lens (seen from above), and that then you must keep it pushed down to keep that value? And that the needle shows what you are doing? Is this a comfortable action, or does your face turn read from pushing down the lever? With the Leica R4s I did not much care for this system, but it was the exposure button that you had to keep pushing down . . . so easy to push too hard and then shoot.
08-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Phil, I guess I should sell the K 35/2 before it has arrived, right?

As there is a lot of knowledge here, I hope you do not mind me asking some more opinions. Am I correct to think with the DMD the exposure lock is actived by pushing down the lever left of the lens (seen from above), and that then you must keep it pushed down to keep that value? And that the needle shows what you are doing? Is this a comfortable action, or does your face turn read from pushing down the lever? With the Leica R4s I did not much care for this system, but it was the exposure button that you had to keep pushing down . . . so easy to push too hard and then shoot.
This should help, here is a copy of the K2DMD manual. Unfortunately is a photocopy so the images are a bit dark:

http://pentax.ca/pdf/o_manuals/om_K2DMDMOTORDRIVEMD_e.pdf

PS Never sell any K series lenses/bodies, just buy them!
Phil.
08-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There was a large collection of gear going for sale in Austria today including 2 x K2DMDs, the motordrive, a shift lens, a "fisheye" lens (I think it was the 15mm lens) and various other stuff. It went for over 1000 euros in the end, a bit more than I could afford but still a good price for all that kit.

K.
08-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
There was a large collection of gear going for sale in Austria today including 2 x K2DMDs, the motordrive, a shift lens, a "fisheye" lens (I think it was the 15mm lens) and various other stuff. It went for over 1000 euros in the end, a bit more than I could afford but still a good price for all that kit.

K.
Yeah I saw that. It drives me nuts when there is one fuzzy picture of a collection and the description is vague. I bet the seller would have made a lot more money if each item was listed and they had added better pictures. However there seems to be some very good stuff in that auction. It’s going to be a surprise package for the winner!

Phil.

08-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Nope, we don't mind at all. The answer to your question is yes and no. Hold the lever down to lock your exposure, but lifting the K2 DMD's lever will lock the mirror up and remember the automatic exposure for around ten minutes if I remember correctly.

Also, here's a cleaner copy of the owner's manual: http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_k2_motor_drive.pdf
08-27-2011, 02:45 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah I saw that. It drives me nuts when there is one fuzzy picture of a collection and the description is vague. I bet the seller would have made a lot more money if each item was listed and they had added better pictures. However there seems to be some very good stuff in that auction. Itís going to be a surprise package for the winner!

Phil.
Undoubtedly. The "fisheye" was probably a K15 and the shift must have been a K28/shift. Those two lenses alone would go for about £700 before one starts to factor in a K2DMD with a databack and a motordrive and another K2DMD. There was also one of those funny mirror attachments which allows one to take photos sideways, if you see what I mean. Hopefully the winner will have nice surprises and not bad ones. I considered bidding on it until a bidding war broke out between two people and pushed the price right up. In the end, a snipe bid with a second to go won it.

K.
08-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #26

Original Poster
Thanks Builttospill, for the clear manual. So, I do understand how the exposure lock works.

But now, risking to be stoned or laughed at, I am more interested to hear opinions if that exposure lock is practical. Because, from here without the camera, it looks like you need to keep pressing it down with your left thumb. Doesn't that mean you can't really focus anymore?

If that is so don't we lose the whole point of an exposure lock: to be able to do selective metering, so that we can be free in our composition. To me that freedom includes the possibility to focus up to the point of taking the picture.

Very curious to hear your thoughts !
08-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #27
Site Supporter

The K2DMD exposure lock isn't as convenient as other cameras that have it built into a stepped shutter release.
But it's not hard to get used to. IMO it is far preferable to being forced to use the exposure compensation dial.
Unlike exposure lock an exposure compensation dial requires you to remove your eye from the viewfinder.

Chris
08-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I must admit I have never used exposure lock on any of the cameras I have ever owned including my K10 and K20. As soon as the lighting looks tricky, I switch to manual. In fact, on my first camera (in the 1980s), an ME Super, I found that auto-exposure was fooled too often for the slide film I was shooting, and so used manual almost exclusively, So much so, that when the ME Super died I bought an MX. Just different ways to skin a cat, I guess.

K.
08-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #29
Site Supporter

The advantage of using exposure lock with AE is that it's faster than manual or exposure compensation.
Simply use substitute metering to bias the reading to your liking, lock exposure, recompose and shoot.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-28-2011 at 10:01 AM.
08-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #30

Original Poster
Thanks all of you, for your information.

I will wait untill I run into a DMD, to see how I like it. I don't use a motordrive, for me the exposure lock could be the real plus. For now it will remain LX and KX, a clear, easy and complimentary difference.