Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #1

LX versus K2 DMD: Viewfinder brightness

I am considering to get a K2 DMD next to the LX and I wonder if anyone here has both cameras, to compare the brightness of the viewfinders? Thanks, Hilo

08-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have both. Which viewfinder do you use on the LX? Mine isn't the standard FA finder, but the action finder instead. The K2 DMD is a very nice camera and the viewfinder is similar to the other K- series film cameras with a match needle metering system.

The K2 DMD is heavy, but I still use it quite a bit more than my LX. I owned a K2 but got rid of it because it wasn't the same as the DMD. The K2 is probably my least favorite of the K- series bodies and the K2 DMD is probably my favorite. That probably sounds funny so make fun of me, throw rocks at me, but for some reason I never got along well with my K2.
08-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I have both. Which viewfinder do you use on the LX? Mine isn't the standard FA finder, but the action finder instead. The K2 DMD is a very nice camera and the viewfinder is similar to the other K- series film cameras with a match needle metering system.

The K2 DMD is heavy, but I still use it quite a bit more than my LX. I owned a K2 but got rid of it because it wasn't the same as the DMD. The K2 is probably my least favorite of the K- series bodies and the K2 DMD is probably my favorite. That probably sounds funny so make fun of me, throw rocks at me, but for some reason I never got along well with my K2.
I agree with you about the K2 and K2DMD, so youíre not alone!
For me the K2DMD is by far the best K Series film body, but I like the KX better than the K2.

Phil.
08-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You guys aren't helping me... Repeat 1000 times: "I do not need another film body, I do not need another film body..."

08-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
You guys aren't helping me... Repeat 1000 times: "I do not need another film body, I do not need another film body..."
Sometimes its tough saying no isnít it?

Phil.
08-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I agree with you about the K2 and K2DMD, so you’re not alone!
What a relief!

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
But Kris, I saw a K2 DMD the other day for such a good price, I almost bought it. I was too late, it's gone now. If another one comes up please get it so I don't have to.
08-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks very much for your replies!

Builttospill, we won't throw stones at you if you can tell us why you think the KMD makes such a difference? I went from OM4Ti to the LX and all is ok, except I miss the exposure lock. Is that it?

Any of you ever put a Beattie screen in the LX? (again, with OM that made a beautiful difference)
08-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Seems the orginal question hasn't been answered, i.e. the brightness of the viewfinders.

Let me try. I never used a K2, but since some of you said its viewfinder is similar to other K Series bodies, I feel I can tell now.

I have two KX bodies and an LX body. They all come with standard screens (& viewfinders). I can clearly see LX viewfinder is brighter.

Hope this helps.

08-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Builttospill, we won't throw stones at you if you can tell us why you think the KMD makes such a difference? I went from OM4Ti to the LX and all is ok, except I miss the exposure lock. Is that it?
I don't think that's it, although I do use the exposure memory. I guess I'm gonna have some bruises, but I think a lot of it is emotional attachment. It's always been easy to get pictures I like from the DMD, but I never liked one from the K2 (not the camera's fault, I know). The K2 was pretty beat up and I had some problems with it, similar to the old beat up car I was always fixing as a teenager and I hated it.

The DMD feels better, heavier, more solid and the sound of the shutter and mirror were much more enjoyable in my experience. Plus the black looks so much better!

But you're not talking about the K2 and the K2 DMD, you're asking about the LX and DMD. If you find one for a decent price and you think you'll like it then go ahead and try it. The price won't be going down, so you could always sell it if you're not a fan.
08-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
Answering one of the first replies, I use the FA-1 or FA-2 finders with the LX.

Hyys, that is good thinking, it will be much easier for me to find a KX around, to go and see through it . . . and anyway, that's the other model I am thinking about.

Builttospill, no worries . . there is nothing more subjective than the reasons for liking a certain camera. Yes, I may just get one to see how it goes. These answers help though !
08-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I agree with you about the K2 and K2DMD, so youíre not alone!
For me the K2DMD is by far the best K Series film body, but I like the KX better than the K2.

Phil.
Heh. I agree with every point in your reply Phil.

My KX could only be improved if it had the split image focusing screen. Reportedly Eric has ONE left and could exchange for me but my KX was actually a gift new, so I am reluctant to alter it (and take Eric's last replacement screen).
08-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Heh. I agree with every point in your reply Phil.

My KX could only be improved if it had the split image focusing screen. Reportedly Eric has ONE left and could exchange for me but my KX was actually a gift new, so I am reluctant to alter it (and take Eric's last replacement screen).
Hi Paul, I actually had a silver KX with the split image focusing screen but sold it when I got my black KX. I should have kept it for the screen alone.

Phil.
08-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #13

Original Poster
So, last sunday I got a KX at this outdoor camera fair. I had meant to just have the KX and the K2 in my hands, to understand them better. It is exactly what I could do and I liked them both, but the KX a bit more. When an hour later I found a really clean black KX at very little money, well I was sold right away . . .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL  Photo 
08-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
I am considering to get a K2 DMD next to the LX and I wonder if anyone here has both cameras, to compare the brightness of the viewfinders? Thanks, Hilo
I have both. The LX FA1 finder is slightly brighter than the K2DMD, but IMO the difference is not critical. Focusing performance in dim room light is pretty much the same, at least for me.

Personally, I much prefer the ergonomics of the LX. OTOH, the K2DMD has a sort of funky character that I enjoy from time to time. It does make a reasonable pairing with the LX. At the moment, as my second LX is heading for a CLA, I have my K2DMD and one LX in a kit with several K lenses. I quite enjoy that setup, which combines the efficiency of the LX and the quirkiness of the K2DMD with excellent lenses. (I still shoot a lot of black and white. Big prints shot with the LXs and K lenses have been in three major shows I've done this year.)

I've had the K2DMD for about 15 years. It was a bit rough at first but after two servicings by different people it settled down to be quite reliable. I do, however, think that the LX, ME Super, Super Program, and MX are more robust despite being lighter.

If you can get a clean K2DMD for a very good price that's fine. However, I think the high prices you often see these days are driven more by rarity than by functionality. If you're looking strictly at real-world usefulness, a second LX would I think make more sense.

John
08-24-2011, 04:43 AM   #15

Original Poster
John, thanks! I had come to the same conclusion re the LX. For sure I will get a second body . . . It also makes sense to me to have the KX next to the LX, kind of the same as having the OM-1 next to the OM-4ti (which I did for many years). But I am interested to see the DMD to find out how it works.