Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #1

ME Super Top Cover Removal

Hi,

I want to remove the top cover on my ME Super so I can replace the focusing screen. I know how to remove the rewind crank but not the ASA dial, so I can't access the screw under it. I don't know how to remove the rewind lever either. I know the cap is threaded but I don't see anything to grip onto. Is there a special tool to remove it? Also do I need to remove the shutter button aswell?

Thanks

08-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Wow! Lot of ME Supers going under the knife these couple of days...

Top to Bottom...
Rewinder knob - wedge tool in the spindle prongs that turns the cassette, knob unscrews counter-clockwise
ASA/ISO selector - sorry I put this out of sequence... next...
Retainer slotted nut - A two prong tool must grip well the slots to get it spinning... I use a modified jewelry priers to open it... I have a spanner tool that is too big for this one.
Screw located on deck side next to ISO/ASA selector - easy enough...
Screw located the side of PENTAX - easy enough...
08-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Rewind knob is already off. I think a pair of machinist dividers or like you said, a pair of modified pliers should work for the ASA selector. How would I remove the rewind lever? I'm pretty sure the cap on it is threaded on but it seems like it would be difficult to get it off without scratching it up.

Sorry, I know questions like this have been asked many times before but I just wanted to be absolutely sure. Thanks
08-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

No problem asking... always good to clarify rather than break a part or something.

The "advance lever" is friction turned. It is also clockwise to remove. I like getting a rubber finger cot or latex glove on to add more friction.

08-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
I agree. This camera is actually one of the nicest examples I've ever seen. Just needs a new focus screen. I don't think it's worth wasting a beautiful camera which works perfectly just because of that, keeping in mind that this camera has no mechanical faults whatsoever and is mint on the outside. I'll just have to be careful removing the prism and then I should be able to access the screen.

Yeah I thought so. The skin on my fingers is actually starting to peel off from trying to get the lever off. Thanks for your help.
08-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A tip for the advance lever - get an old eraser and press down with it and twist, once it's loosened a bit it'll come off with fingers. Make sure you have the right screwdriver for the mode selector as well, I used one that was too small on my ME and schewed up the screw head.
08-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks. The eraser did the trick. Now I want to know how to get the ASA/Exposure selection dial off. I am using a pair of machinist dividers to try and undo the slotted nut but i'm finding it really difficult to get off. It just won't budge. Which direction is it threaded? And why is it so tight? Is there a technique I could use to loosen it? I know it's a bad idea to use chemicals.

08-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Try, of all things, the tip of a dinner knife... yes it does work.

I sometimes use two old jeweler's flat tips cross so to make a sort of spanner. Usually, it comes off with some slight effort. ... it is a counter-clockwise to remove.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 08-24-2011 at 07:37 PM.