Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

K1000 or ME super?

Im thinking of buying a new SLR as my ME has auto exposure and i want to choose the shutter speed.
i was wondering which one is better the k1000 or ME super? If you have any good or bad points add them in too.

08-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have had a read of the camera reviews??

Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews - DSLR and Film SLR Database
08-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I couldn't tell you which is "better" (that's quite personal, and even for me the preference varies over time), but since you already own an ME, I expect owning a K1000 would be more interesting experience for you, than buying a camera so similar to what you already have.

You might also want to look at the KM and MX reviews; both are manual-exposure cameras having much in common with the K1000, but with some other capabilities.
08-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Both cameras are fantastic, provided you will get them in good condition or have them serviced. However, the K1000 being fully mechanical with no automation, it will force you to think more about the exposure. That is not a bad thing at all, however the ME Super additional automation also have its merits sometimes. It depends on what and how you want to photograph. The viewfinder of ME Super (same as of the ME I believe) is slightly nicer than the older K1000. But on the other hand, some prefer the K1000 match needle exposure indicator over the ME Super LEDs. When it comes to reliability, both will serve you fine if you have them serviced.

08-26-2011, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Just my opinion, but everyone should own a K1000 at some point in his or her life. A fully manual camera that doesn't have the option of automation of any sort makes you develop an eye for exposure.
08-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
Just my opinion, but everyone should own a K1000 at some point in his or her life. A fully manual camera that doesn't have the option of automation of any sort makes you develop an eye for exposure.
It also makes you understand relationships between shutter speeds & apertures, & think about how light works. If there's one bright spot in the frame, you have to compensate for that; you haven't got autoexposure with matrix metering or anything to average it out. YOU have to think about how that bright area will affect your whole shot. And I often find myself calculating stops because I got a reading at 1/2 second wide open but I want to shoot at f16 or 22...
I think if everything is manual, you learn more about how photography works. Just my 2 cents... I meet a lot of tourists with fully automated cameras who tell me "I don't know how most of it works". They talk about taking pictures somewhere; you ask them what aperture they used or something like that, & you just get a blank look.
I've never used an ME, but I love my K1000. The things it is missing that I have wished it had are depth of field preview, but you can unscrew the lens; and a self timer, which I solved when I discovered a little vintage screw-in one on eBay.
Of course sometimes some automation with autofocus would be helpful for quick shooting. It depends on what you are using it for.
08-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K1000 definitely. I have an ME Super and it's not nearly as nice I don't think. I'm more of a SPII fan than anything else, but I'd definitely take a K1000 over an ME of any variety. I kind of covet the one special edition one they did actually. I really like the brown leather and the split screen appeals. If I ever do get a K1000 I'd really like it to be that one.
08-27-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've got both. The ME Super is quite a bit smaller which makes it great for slipping in your pocket, assuming you've got a short lens fitted but I don't like the shutter buttons and I prefer the needle exposure meter of the K1000 to the LED's of the ME Super.

I'm going to Paris for a few days next week and I will be taking either the ME Super or the K1000 for evening/night use. I'm looking at them both now and I'll probably go for the ME Super because of its smaller size.

08-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think ill get the k1000 due to the fact that the ME super is alot like the ME and i want something that will make me think about the photos im taking.

Thanks everyone for the advice
08-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Why not get both?
08-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd say leave both of those and go for the KX. One of the best cameras I've ever used, and I say that even though I own and have owned some celebs in the Pentax lineup. At least for me it works like a natural extension of my arm and thoughts, something I cannot say about many other cameras (the LX coming closest in that regard).
08-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #12

I bought a k1000 half a year ago and had to choose between these two and i chose because it only uses one battery and a common one and its totally manual control. The needle meter is very analogue-ish and quite a turn on for me and the battery seems to last forever since I havent change one at all since half a year ago suprisingly. Having said that, other k series should also be considerations since they do have more features and not a big differences in prices
09-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

The K1000 is Perfect

I think it goes without saying that I love my little K1000, so I am pretty biased. The K1000 is so simple to use that it can really spoil you. However, it does make you learn exposure because there is no auto modes with this camera. But if you give it some time I am sure that you to will find it quite liberating. I do not believe you will be disappointed with the K1000.
09-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Be sure to look for the other fully mechanical Pentax K mount bodies such as the KM and KX. And you can have your cake and eat it too if you get the MX which is the smallest fully mechanical 35mm SLR that happens to also have the largest full info VF!

09-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Recently i bought a Cosina, very similar to K1000. Fully mechanical, needle metering. Metal shutter comes as an advantage over the cloth, due to the fantastic endurance of this type of shutter.
The camera hasn't been used since the early 90's. It came coupled eith an old flash and the exp. date of the batts was 1994.
Paid a small amount. The shutter seemed ok. Removed the old batt, a regular cell type, and tried my luck.
I had to guestimate my exposures, and all came out perfect.
On the other side, i have 2 me's super, one with sticky shutter, and one with scratched screen.
The VF is better in my me's but I'm just in love with the Cosina due to the solid feel it gives me.

However, i love the shutter sound of the ME.
Tough choice.