Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #16
Inactive Account

How about an SFXn (Aussie) or SF1n. It has a manual mode, motor film advance and bracketing. A very nice camera and you can pick them up reasonably. Plus they are auto focus also if you like that.
I would have suggested the MEF which is a little bit larger than the Super with a bit more advanced electronics for focus assist, but if you don't like the speed buttons on the Super, you won't like them on the ME F.

10-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a ME but don't use it any more because of the strong mirror slap. I now only use MZ-5N and 6. I have a MZ-7 with new mirror motor and metal gear listed in the market place.
10-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #18

I'm more of a mechanical "center the needle" type when it comes to casual photography. This year I found a PZ-1P for a good price and thought I'd give it a try, I fell in love with it. It has all the features you're looking for plus excellent ergonomics for someone with large hands and on hyper-manual it uses two wheels/dials that are positioned perfectly where my thumb and forefinger rest, one wheel is for shutter speed and the other for aperture (with KA or later lenses). I offers full compatibility with manual K mount and M42 lenses with M42 to K mount adapter. I got mine for $30 US including shipping (Ebay), when I got it, it had a dirty focusing screen that someone had tried cleaning and smeared grime in the Fresnel grooves. Thankfully I had a ZX-60 lying around and I swapped the focusing screens (there interchangeable), I never did like the zx-60 anyway (terrible interface). Hope this helps.
10-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I notice lately on Ebay that the LX often sells for less than an MZ-S for example. I would prefer the LX. The MZ-S is just too complicated for my taste (though I do own a K20). As far as film cameras go, I currently have an MX, a K2, and a KX. I enjoy all three, but if I were to buy another body it would probably be an LX. It is the best of both the manual and auto worlds, mechanical speeds from 1/125 and above with a wonderful metering system. The MZ-S is just too complicated for my taste. I like my digital K20 better.
I enjoy the aperture priority auto on the K2, but seem to pick up the KX most times. It has been worth it to me to get the light seals replaced etc. I wonder if you will see very many K5's still fully functional 30+ years from now.

10-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
I notice lately on Ebay that the LX often sells for less than an MZ-S for example. I would prefer the LX. The MZ-S is just too complicated for my taste (though I do own a K20). As far as film cameras go, I currently have an MX, a K2, and a KX. I enjoy all three, but if I were to buy another body it would probably be an LX. It is the best of both the manual and auto worlds, mechanical speeds from 1/125 and above with a wonderful metering system. The MZ-S is just too complicated for my taste. I like my digital K20 better.
I enjoy the aperture priority auto on the K2, but seem to pick up the KX most times. It has been worth it to me to get the light seals replaced etc. I wonder if you will see very many K5's still fully functional 30+ years from now.
I've owned an LX since new when they first came out, and it is very nicely made with nice features. Love the OTF meter for long nightime exposures. But the meter display is complex enough to be distracting in manual mode. Great camera for autoexposure though. I use my MX much more, even though it "clanks" more than the LX. It has about the ideal meter display for manual mode. Lately I've been enjoying my older meterless cameras even more (Pentax H1a; Leica M4) as you worry less about fine tweeks and just take pictures.
10-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Your LX comments are interesting. Such is why I have yet to buy one. My MX, K2 and KX all work just fine for me. I have a Leica M6 as well, which is my go to film camera.
10-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #22
Giveaway winner!

I wonder if you will see very many K5's still fully functional 30+ years from now.
Well my vote is no. Thanks to all the plastic to metal parts, it is just a matter of when...soon.
10-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your LX comments are interesting. Such is why I have yet to buy one. My MX, K2 and KX all work just fine for me. I have a Leica M6 as well, which is my go to film camera.
Agree on the M6 - the semi-spot meter it has is my favorite, and the 2 LED readout in the finder is simple (the MX is close). I added an M9 body, and the manual metering readout is about the same, but the meter pattern is not as nice (more of a center-weighted reading). I still like working with a manual film camera better, but digital is sure convenient. At least the M9 can be used just like an M6. I wish the K-5 was more "film-like" in its design.

10-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

which camera

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Agree on the M6 - the semi-spot meter it has is my favorite, and the 2 LED readout in the finder is simple (the MX is close). I added an M9 body, and the manual metering readout is about the same, but the meter pattern is not as nice (more of a center-weighted reading). I still like working with a manual film camera better, but digital is sure convenient. At least the M9 can be used just like an M6. I wish the K-5 was more "film-like" in its design.
Yes, the M6 and M7 meters are so simple yet precise. The finest camera Leica ever made...the M3, perhaps?

Many of us would love to see a full frame digital from Pentax. Coupled with the ability to use all the historical lenses unlike Canon and Nikon. It should sell well.

I almost bought a used M8 but the lack of full frame made the decision for me. Why own Leica lenses and not use their full capability? The M9 is just too pricey for me right now. Think about how many rolls of film you can buy and develop for that money.
10-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the M6 and M7 meters are so simple yet precise. The finest camera Leica ever made...the M3, perhaps?

Many of us would love to see a full frame digital from Pentax. Coupled with the ability to use all the historical lenses unlike Canon and Nikon. It should sell well.

I almost bought a used M8 but the lack of full frame made the decision for me. Why own Leica lenses and not use their full capability? The M9 is just too pricey for me right now. Think about how many rolls of film you can buy and develop for that money.
I think the M5 may be the best engineered and best RF Leica to use, and the Leicaflex SL or SLII the best-built reflex. I ignored the M5 when it came out (had my M4 at the time), but finally added one and am very impressed. (It's at DAG for CLA now.)
I also waited for full-frame and splurged on the M9 with my retirement bonus. Since I don't have to commute to Austin anymore or drive down to Precision Camera to develop film, the gas savings will offset the cost in my imagination.
10-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

M5 and Precision Camera

The complaint about the M5 was always its size, bigger than previous and subsequent M bodies. Also, some lenses such as 21 Super Angulon can damage the meter. Certainly a nice camera, as are all the M bodies.

I'm in Austin and have known Jerry Sullivan owner of Precision since he opened Precision. Great shop.

J
10-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #27
Banned

The finest camera Leica ever made...the M3, perhaps?
finest looking maybe, but my vote will go to the M2, just because its more simple, robust, and user friendly with the different rangefinder design. the M3 was a masterpiece for sure, but masterpieces don’t always make the best tools. ratchet down just a notch and you have something that is just as good in nearly all respects but more useable overall. thats The M2. however, I own an M3 not an M2 so I guess I contradict myself.
10-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best bang-for-the-buck is still the P3n, AKA the P30n.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/58289-why-no-love-pentax-p3n.html

Edit: If possible, try to get the later style, with the rear thumb rest.
10-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The SFXn is an ugly beast but has most of the features you are asking for (e.g., auto exposure bracketing and exposure lock). Because it isn't beautiful people can hardly give them away, they rarely sell for more than £20. They are, however, built like a brick and quite well featured.

K.
10-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
finest looking maybe, but my vote will go to the M2, just because its more simple, robust, and user friendly with the different rangefinder design. the M3 was a masterpiece for sure, but masterpieces don’t always make the best tools. ratchet down just a notch and you have something that is just as good in nearly all respects but more useable overall. thats The M2. however, I own an M3 not an M2 so I guess I contradict myself.
I'm not sure about the M2 being more robust. It is somewhat simpler, but the biggest difference between the M2 and the M3 is indeed the viewfinder. The M3 has a life-size rangefinder window and you can compose and focus with your right eye while keeping your left eye open. On the M2 and every other M camera you don't get that life-size view and you have to close your left eye. There are other differences such as the frame counter and that M2 has the frame lines for 35, 50 and 90 lenses while the M3 has frame lines for 50, 90 and 135 lenses. The M3 has a nicer frame-counter etc. The M3 was the more expensive body and considered the top of the Leica line until the M4 came out.
Didn't mean to hijack this thread and turn it into a Leica discussion...a rangerfinder discussion as well.

back to the original topic: I really enjoy my KX and would suggest that as a possible replacement, but the best comparable body with automatic functions might be an ME Super or a Super A / Super Program. An LX would be beautiful, but expensive in comparison.