Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Which camera to replace faulty ME Super ?

Hi all ... new member here ...
I really like the look of the shots that my 50mm 1.7 SMC M produces when I get everything right. I've been using an ME Super which has finally died. I've always found it difficult to use. I'm a manual exposure only type of person and I've always found the operation of the Super in manual mode less than perfect. Those dinky little shutter speed changing buttons and the difficult to see (faded?) LEDs are irritating ... and the meter always turns off right at the wrong moment for me. So I'm looking for something different to bolt the 50mm SMC onto.
My initial preference was for a nice LX or MX (I really enjoy the solid all metal/mechanical cameras - I own several from other brands) but they are getting too expensive in my opinion. I'm thinking that I would like to try a more modern camera. Is there something out there that would allow me to conveniently use the old K mount manual focus lenses and shoot in manual mode (maybe occasionally in aperture priority auto)? ... The MZ/ZX range looks interesting ... Do they have auto exposure bracketing? ... Exposure lock would be nice ... any experiences/ideas?
Thanks
Greg

08-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I would say the MX... all mechanical.

Love my LX, but it has not been 100% for a while. It has been worked on by Eric and is much better and the other LXs all have sticky issues. The three MXs I also own are easy to work on and all function well year round. Oh, and wish I could get an MZ-S.
08-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

I will have to mention that I have two MZ-50 that both have the bad plastic motor gears. I started replacement repair on one and the other is waiting until I finish, but both are in the wait now that I started repairing 2 of 5 ME supers for fun.... anyway. The common problems seems that if the mirror and winder are sluggish that it is cursed with the gone bad plastic geared motor. Over time they split then the spindle is no longer spinning the gear.

If you found one that had been serviced with a new metal gear, "great deal!", otherwise do look/inspect carefully. I hope this helps... I'm sure others will chime in and say I'm wrong, but this is researchable on the Gooooog.
Luck to you...
Warren

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 08-26-2011 at 07:17 PM.
08-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi MO ... thanks for responding ... The thing is, I'm in Australia and there are not that many MXs coming up for sale here ... so I would most probably be buying from the USA ... and the shipping cost is the killer. For example KEH want $60 to send something the size/weight of an MX. So a nice MX ends up costing me something around $400 ... and I'm not even able to lay hands/eyes on it before purchase. On the other hand ... there are several MZ series cameras for sale right here in my little town for half that money. Don't get me wrong ... the old mechanical cameras can be a pleasure to use, but I'm just not confident that there will be parts or people who can service them around for much longer. Long term maintenance becomes an issue.
Most of my creative input happens in the darkroom ... I need good negatives ... and I need to get them as efficiently as possible. Apart from my preference for using MF SMC M lenses, I'm not too fussed about the camera ... it's just a tool. I understand that the later model (just prior to digital) SLRs don't have the beautiful bright and large viewfinders of the older cameras ... but is there much else I would miss in terms of functionality?
Thanks
Greg

08-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes Warren ... the MZ-S ... in my dreams also ...
08-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
Camera wish list: Full metering functionality with MF SMC M (K mount) lenses, preferably with spot metering; manual exposure; aperture priority auto; auto exposure bracketing; exposure lock; compact; solid construction (not too plasticy - is that a word?); sub $250.
08-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Giveaway winner!

Hey Greg, I will do my best to give my suggestions. I follow the... no MX... cost $60... sale MZ local... I was giving a necessary caution about the MZ as you will possibly be able to lay hands on.

Based on the features that I'm familiar with on the MZ-50... you want the MZ-5n as top of the list is the Auto Bracket, AE Lock and a real pentaprism... I think a more important point when dealing with slower lenses. I understand "not too fussed about the camera" I can't speak for other models, I only know the MZ-50 and the trouble with MZs to be aware and do like the MZ-5n because it seems a more familiar camera than some of the seemingly cut-rate family members with the "penta-mirror". I hope you have one to look at near you at it would be top camera in outside the MZ-S. Full function with M-series... YES.
Did you look at the camera database?

08-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KX...

Steve
08-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
KX...

Steve
+1. That old tank will keep on going until someplace hot freezes over. It is manual. Period. But everything is visible in the finder. I still regret selling mine off back in the late 70s.
08-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks all ... will need to head off to work now but will chime - in when I return ... No Warren ... haven't seen the database ... will try and check it out in a quiet moment.
Cheers all
Great forum
Greg
08-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #11

Original Poster
Revised camera wish-list: Manual knob for shutter speed and exp. compensation; Full metering functionality with MF SMC M (K mount) lenses, preferably with spot metering; manual exposure; aperture priority auto; auto exposure bracketing; exposure lock; compact; solid construction (not too plasticy - is that a word?); sub $250.
08-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #12

Original Poster
Warren ... had a quick look at MZ-5n ... looks like all the boxes are ticked ... just need to find one locally ... any others worth investigating?
08-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
Giveaway winner!

Well... PZ-1 is the only one I might have looked into... it was at a thrift store in the next town and they only wanted $50, but by the time I pulled info and got back... gone. Still looking into MZ-S... yes I have MZ-S on the brain. Just so many only sold in Asia?
08-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Either another ME-Super or go for a PZ-1P

MZ-6/L or 7 are a great bet but you need luck to get a good one
10-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #15

+1 for the MZ-7, never had anything to complain about, though its plastic might get to you.