Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #1

MX winder problems

I recently acquired a winder for my MX, seems to be in good shape and everything, but when I hook up to the MX it doesn't wind. The red light in the back lights up, It makes noise every time I press the shutter release on the winder, but it doesn't snap a picture or wind. Any help? I've hooked it up to the two MX I have, no change. Also, it's gotten really hot, even if it's off the camera set to single shot.

08-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I've had my MX winder go funny years ago... the relay switch inside sometimes fails and the motor won't work. If the light is on and it is buzzing, then it sounds like it is in mid-cycle. I forget, however, if that is a power to start issue with a capacitor is failing to maintain voltage during surge to start winding. Assuming that you are using fresh alkaline batteries then it is easy to eliminate that... but the heating up is a sign that the motor is struggling to try and spin. When the winder is off the camera and the power is on, does it start spinning? The relay is not working to turn off when the advance is complete.
08-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well it wasn't spinning earlier, but after slapping the part that holds the battery, it started spinning and whirring again. But the spinning is nonstop, even when it's in single shot mode. I'm using fresh alkalines.
08-31-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

So if the winder is off camera, it is spinning and when reattached to camera and (A) turn on again it spins for a moment and then stop and mechanical click is heard... or the power is (B) turn on again and the motor start and seem to stop and if you listen close, a low hum can be heard.
A. is how it should reset if left open in the winding cycle
B. if the relay switch is not working or not resetting and the motor is still drawing power to spin... and might damage the advance of the camera.

08-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well, I reattached it to the camera. Both single shot and continous seem to work, at least it sounds like it's trying to advance the frame. I opened the back while holding down the shutter button in continous and I saw that the take-up spool doesn't move, but the winder sounds like it's shooting at a 2 frame per second pace. So, it seems like the winder isn't properly mating to the camera somehow. In single shot, it does trip the shutter, but only after holding down the button for like 2 seconds. After tripping the shutter, every press of the shutter button also makes the main shutter button on the camera go down, but neither the mirror nor the shutter move.
08-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Giveaway winner!

It sounds as though the gear box of the winder is not in proper order so that the drive action does not go to the drive head. So when it was first, off the camera and running continuous, the drive head was spinning? If yes, then recreate the conditions and see that when it is spinning that it is all too easy to stop in in place with a touch of the finger. That was say that on of the gears is detached from the shaft/spindle.
08-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
When it's off the camera and in single shot, the drive head spins continously. Even when I try to stop with the finger, it just keeps on spinning. When set to continous, it doesn't spin. When the winder is mated to the camera, it sounds like as if its winding, but the shutter doesn't fire.
08-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Giveaway winner!

It does sound as if one linkage is just not working. The sequence of events starts when the winder is in the lock a ready, the winder button is pushed, the power to winder and the linkage to the camera release is tripped, the winder head spins and the torque increases and ... here I forget... load on the circuit and the relay is signaled by switch and the power is off. The main thing seems that something is not sending to tell the motor to switch off.

08-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #9

Original Poster
It seems to me like the winder isn't driving the shutter action. Again, the winder sounds like it's doing its job, but the shutter isn't firing. Maybe a problem with the electrical contacts that the winder has with the camera?
08-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
Giveaway winner!

Well then, you can check first the camera by taking a look at the drive opening.

Make sure the tab will trigger the camera. You could actually use a small screwdriver tip to move the tab to the right and fire the shutter.

also

the contacts I don't recall fire the camera at all, but MX's contact should be clean, you could go as far as drawing on them with the tip of a pencil to improve the connection.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 08-31-2011 at 10:34 PM.
09-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #11

Original Poster
The tab does trigger the shutter. Maybe a problem with the pin in the winder then?
09-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #12
Giveaway winner!

The pin is part an electrical action and mechanical. Here is were I will only suppose as my former MX winder had died in this place. The motor has a set of gears, this gives it enough power advance the film.

I recall and I hope someone could correct me on this if I remember wrong...

...when the advance comes to the point the torque rises, it pushes past spring holding back a lever and kicks a switch to shut the power and leaves the lever up and ready to drop for the cycle to start again. Triggering the button move the lever down which fires the shutter around we go again. Not an easy fix as you would have to know how to deal with the gears and find out if the connection is broken or the relay is just fried. This is some major tinkering to see and beyond a simple explanation.

under the circuit board is the workings. Two screws hidden in the battery compartment and five on the deck and one under the grip to open... if you are looking to try.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-01-2011 at 05:58 AM.