Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-30-2011, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kinda Sticky Mirror Syndrome

I got an LX that sat for probably too long and unfortunately my excitement for it has been a little bit tempered. Like a good little boy I got it CLAed, and after the CLA it caught a case of sticky mirror syndrome, which my repair shop was good enough to take the camera back and clear up. However, now there's just one little extra issue. When the camera sits for a couple of hours there is a lag before the first shutter activation. Once the shutter is fired or the mirror lock up is used though, the camera is good to go. Has anyone experienced this? My repair shop is stumped.

08-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess your repair shop didn't do the CLA job properly (or thoroughly should I say). A full CLA requires the whole camera to be taken apart and cleaned/lubed inside and out, plus some proper adjustment. Even the famous Eric can't get the problem solved in one go sometimes...
08-31-2011, 03:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
When I picked up the camera yesterday, the technician said that he had the whole mirror box apart and couldn't find the issue. Generally they do very nice work (although they don't have Eric's rep) and they are an authorized Pentax repair centre. So I assume that between the first CLA, the repair of the sticky mirror syndrome and their last diagnostic it was all apart at least once and cleaned.
08-31-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When mine was repaired they indicated the "mirror stop" had to be replaced to cure this - not the "bumper" at the top, but the "rest" that positions the mirror when down. That made sense, because the infinity focus in the viewscreen had also been off, indicating the mirror position was too far down. Sounds like the LX used a soft material in the stop to cushion the action, and it gets depressed and sticky.

08-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

That's what my old LX does too. I have to fire the shutter a few times before it gets up to speed if I haven't used the camera in a while (about a month). The mirror stays up for the first shot or two, then works fine. It's never had a CLA though; one day I'll send it to Eric.
08-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
You might want to check to see if the two rubber part are correct. Put the LX in mirror lock up and inspect the round bumper as well as the tiny pad sitting on the arm.

09-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips guys.

- MysteryOnion Thanks for the picture. I did check out my camera and it the rectangular pad was just changed when I had my sticky mirror syndrome issue I don't think that my round pad looks wet.

It looks like I may just have to live with this.

09-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

OOT please check this video

is that describe exactly what we called as Sticky Mirror Syndrom?