Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #1

What's your preferred consumer grade film?

As the title states, what are your two preferred/favorite store bought film? This excludes the pro stuff. If there's only two brands available (such as the case around here) you can go as specific as the line the manufacture makes (ie. Fuji Superia, Kodak Gold, Ultramax, etc). Easy access is key but ordering online can be counted as well. Explanation of why you like it doesn't hurt either.

For me:
I only started playing with film so I haven't tried enough to say I have a definite favorite. Used one roll of expired iso 400 Kodak Max and I don't think it aged well. Results were not great. Of course it's not fair to make a judgement since it was expired. I have four rolls of Ultramax so I'll see how I like that. The other one I've used is store branded iso 400 Fuji Superia(?), which has produced some nice pictures in good lighting. I wish there were more choices around here.

09-08-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I've just started film photography and since you are also just starting out i think the cheaper the better.. i tried both kodak ultramax 400 and fujifilm superia 400, cant see any difference!

I found out that ebay sells film cheap with 36 exposures from a bloke in Thailand & my local supermarket still sells film relatively cheap too but only 24 exposures. (fuji & kodak ones)

The other thing to worry is developing and printing, the place I go to used to charge $6.95 for 24 exposures but now starting to charge $9.99 starting this month!

anyway just keep looking! Ebay is a good way to start if you dont mind waiting, else try your local supermarket if you need it now!

good luck!
09-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FUJI Superia is a great film
I really liked the 200 and 400 for everyday photography.
09-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's different flavors for different moods - lately I've been enjoying Kodak ColorPlus 200... also, I've really enjoyed using CVS brand film as well as "memories" etc...

09-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxuser888 Quote
I've just started film photography and since you are also just starting out i think the cheaper the better.. i tried both kodak ultramax 400 and fujifilm superia 400, cant see any difference!

I found out that ebay sells film cheap with 36 exposures from a bloke in Thailand & my local supermarket still sells film relatively cheap too but only 24 exposures. (fuji & kodak ones)

The other thing to worry is developing and printing, the place I go to used to charge $6.95 for 24 exposures but now starting to charge $9.99 starting this month!

anyway just keep looking! Ebay is a good way to start if you dont mind waiting, else try your local supermarket if you need it now!

good luck!
I guess we're lucky here (noticed you're in AU). A pack with 96 total exposures of Fuji Superia ranges from $7 to $10 USD from Walmart (major discount retailer) depending on ISO speed. And the drug stores have sales on their house branded film which is usually Fuji. Developing isn't a problem yet as long as CVS (drugstore chain) doesn't raise their prices or completely stop film processing. Their competitor (Walgreens) cost 60% more for the same thing.

I would like to try Agfa sometime except it's non-existent locally and I can't justify the cost to get it from eBay.
09-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
There's different flavors for different moods - lately I've been enjoying Kodak ColorPlus 200... also, I've really enjoyed using CVS brand film as well as "memories" etc...
Neester, where do you get ColorPlus?
09-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought my first bunch of ColorPlus at a camera show, and then found it on ebay:
Kodak ColorPlus 36 Exposures 200 Speed Color Films x 10 | eBay

.... works out to $2.29 per roll shipped which is more than I paid a while back....

Here's an old thread on the film
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/125768-kodak-c...ml#post1301852

B&H charges $2.99 per roll still

Now, looking at B&H there are actually cheaper films out there - though prefernces will vary, I tend to like Kodak better than Fuji, though every now and then I find myself flip flopping on that as well:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7C0&ci=2545&N=4277998830+4...39&srtclk=sort

Last edited by Nesster; 09-08-2011 at 09:34 AM.
09-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #8

I usually stick to Fuji Superia 200 for 35mm and Fuji Superia X-tra 400 for 120. No real reason apart from it's relatively cheap and very easy for me to get hold of, and I've always been very happy with the results so never saw a reason to change.

Having said that I recently picked up a shed load of 'Tudor' iso 200 36 exposure 35mm films. I've never used this before, and I haven't developed any of the rolls yet so can't comment on the quality, but I think they worked out about 1 a roll so I couldn't resist; and seeing as I'm coming from a homemade pinhole/knackered old 'vintage' camera background I find 'scuzzy' film quite appealing

09-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
I guess we're lucky here (noticed you're in AU). A pack with 96 total exposures of Fuji Superia ranges from $7 to $10 USD from Walmart (major discount retailer) depending on ISO speed.
The 200 iso Fujicolor that is sold in a 4x24 pack by WalMart and other stores in not labeled as Superia and as near as it is slightly different (not quite as good) than the Fuji Superia 200. That being said, it is fine film for the cost of it and it is my go to consumer grade film.
09-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I prefer Kodak Ultramax 400 to Fuji Superia 400. Walgreens drugs stocks it.
I think you will find it is a significant improvement over that Kodak Max you tried.
I'm not fond of any of the 200 speed C41 films so I mail order Kodak Gold 100.

Chris
09-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I bought my first bunch of ColorPlus at a camera show, and then found it on ebay:
Kodak ColorPlus 36 Exposures 200 Speed Color Films x 10 | eBay

.... works out to $2.29 per roll shipped which is more than I paid a while back....

Here's an old thread on the film
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/125768-kodak-c...ml#post1301852

B&H charges $2.99 per roll still

Now, looking at B&H there are actually cheaper films out there - though prefernces will vary, I tend to like Kodak better than Fuji, though every now and then I find myself flip flopping on that as well:

Roll Film
That's a really good price for film. ~6 cents per exposure. Even cheaper than Fuji at Walmart.
09-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I prefer Kodak Ultramax 400 to Fuji Superia 400. Walgreens drugs stocks it.
I think you will find it is a significant improvement over that Kodak Max you tried.
I'm not fond of any of the 200 speed C41 films so I mail order Kodak Gold 100.

Chris
I just got some UltraMax 400 from CVS since they have a sale going on. Can't swallow the $4/roll that it usually goes for.
09-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Kodak Gold 200, though I shoot Ferrania Solaris 100 or 400 when I can get it!

Steve
09-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
I just got some UltraMax 400 from CVS since they have a sale going on. Can't swallow the $4/roll that it usually goes for.
Everything at CVS is expensive, except when on sale. Film is no different.

Chris
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #15

Well, Superia 200 is my film of choice, for it's sharpness and grain. It's especially great for landscape, and I like to overexpose it 1/2-2/3 stops for even less grain.
Ultramax 400 is nice when shooting stage performances and when I want to make some grainy portraiture. Profoto 100 also has been noted for it's grain, which is bigger in comparison to Gold 200. Kodaks are generally more grainy.
Also, I find nearly any Kodak a little bit easier to scan.