Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
SFX or ZX-7 which one to keep?

Hi all,

Went back to flim photography recently for a bit of nostalgia, at the same time picking up cheap lenses attached to film body..

Got 2 film body now...

SFX

ZX-7

Question is which one to keep? which one to sell?

Plus for SFX
  • Size & weight, feels like a real camera!
  • Pentaprism
  • Large viewfinder

Negative for SFX
  • Can't use some sigma lens
  • Mostly manual control, coz it's film, picture will not turn out right if use the wrong setting

Plus for ZX-7
  • Lightweight
  • Supports all the lens I have in my collection.
  • Has lots of preprogrammed exposure mode like most point and shoot camera.

Negative for ZX-7
  • Uses Pentamirror
  • Small viewfinder

The thing is I really like the SFX for it's view finder and camera feel but I like the ZX-7 as it is a modern camera and has auto mode which suits a beginner like me!

Also taken 4 rolls of film with SFX with mixed results.. onto first roll of film with the ZX-7 now.. any comments will be appreciated! thanks for looking!

09-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep 'em both for now and shoot with them both. Over time, you will find yourself reaching for one or the other more often. That will be the one to keep. And you may find that you want to keep them both, if only for nostalgia's sake.
09-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest the following: switch the lenses, i.e., 35-80 on SFX and get rid of it.. SFX is a first generation AF camera, a plastic behemoth. I have a SFX body which I tried to sell for $5 but no taker. I bought it for the lens attached on the camera, F50/1.7.
09-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ZX7 is a much better camera but the gear tends to fail.
SO if you can afford it keep both.

09-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

SFX is a real classic, do you remember the scene from Terminator 2 where a tourist gets picture of Arnie using the SFX? I'd keep the camera for that only.
09-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The SFX has program modes (at least the SFXn does) so should be able to set them , they just are not on the dial you must read them off the top. There is a slider to change settings. I had a SF1n (same as SFXn) and a MZ5n (same as ZX5n) and gave the SF1n away as the MZ cameras are smaller, faster autofocus. Not sure what Sigma lenses it will not use as when I had the SF1n it used my Sigma 400 and my wife's Sigma 10-20 and our 70-200 2.8 work on her SFXn (of course the 10-20 vignettes like mad but it does work)
09-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If you keep the SFX, I'd take that gold sticker off the front :-)
09-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If you keep the SFX, I'd take that gold sticker off the front :-)
Nooo... the gold sticker belongs to this SFX!
There's another gold sticker on the 35mm-70mm lens as well

09-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
The SFX has program modes (at least the SFXn does) so should be able to set them , they just are not on the dial you must read them off the top. There is a slider to change settings. I had a SF1n (same as SFXn) and a MZ5n (same as ZX5n) and gave the SF1n away as the MZ cameras are smaller, faster autofocus. Not sure what Sigma lenses it will not use as when I had the SF1n it used my Sigma 400 and my wife's Sigma 10-20 and our 70-200 2.8 work on her SFXn (of course the 10-20 vignettes like mad but it does work)
using the program mode on SFX now.. but still trying to learn how to use the SFX, there's no manual when I bought it and the manual downloaded from the internet is crap.

The auto focusing on sigma/qantaray 28mm-90mm don't work with SFX (did some research about this issue in this forum and other users concur)
and the sigma 55mm-200mm DC doesn't work at all as well. (maybe some cropping as well since this is a APS size lens?), manual focusing might work but i am not sure!! Didn't try.. dont wait to "waste" an exposure..

However the Sigma 28mm-80mm works on SFX.
09-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
anyway thanks everyone for your comments, i think i'll keep both for now