Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #1

Safe to buy film from Ebay?

I'm new to film photography and so far have been buying film locally (hard on the pocketbook!!!). Any concerns to buying film online, Ebay? Could the film degrade in overseas transport? I suppose it ends up on store shelves from Japan in good condition... Am I missing something here???

Can someone give kudos to a reliable online retailer, please? I'm in Canada.

09-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First of all, glad to hear you're still shooting film.
Buying on ebay, you never know how the film has been stored. Though I'm sure some sellers are reputable, you have no way of knowing which ones. I would suggest going to B&H Photo in New York--they're cheap and reputable.
I'm sure others here could point you to other good dealers that are closer to you.
09-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both Vistek and Henrys have on-line sites for purchasing anything including film. I tend to trust both of them for reliable sales.

I don't know their prices since I don't currently shoot film but take a look, the nice thing about them is that they both have bricks & mortar stores although I doubt Henrys would carry much film actually in their stores.
09-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks folks.

09-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I buy 95% of my film online and it's shipped internationally. I haven't had a single issue so far.
However buying the film from a good seller in the first place is important. I would recommend Freestyle photo in the US. Especially for B&W.
Oh yeah and welcome
09-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Never bought film from B&H,but have done fair amount of buisness with them
throughout the years with other items.Never been a problem.
For film,We have two local establishments that are full service regarding film.
Alot of my needs are fulfilled there. Do turn to freestyle quite often,they also
have outstanding service,have "things" just dont see anywhere else.
Fun place to do buisness with,just had a box full of ektachrome 200 delivered
from them and am "chomping at the bit" to get out and "shoot em up"
09-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I have purchased film on eBay and have not yet had a bad experience. That being said, there is always some risk (including issues in-transit), so I would be hesitant to pay a premium price, regardless of the seller's claims.

Steve
09-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #8

I have never tried, but I heard that when the package is scanned by the x-ray, the films will be harmed especially for those high speed films, cuz they're more sensitive, but for iso100 or 200 films are ok... so better buy films locally I think..

09-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #9

I have never tried but I heard that when the package goes through the x-ray scanner the films inside would be harmed, especially for those high speed films, cause they are more sensitive... but for iso100 or 200 films, it's still ok...
09-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have bought both expired and new film on the bay, and never had a problem.

However, there are some things to watch for - I compute the cost per roll including shipping of the ebay deal vs. the same film with shipping from B&H and Freestyle. Most of the time one or the other (or both) beat the ebay price.
09-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I've bought a fair bit of film including IR and 3200 ISO from Freestyle photo in the US (best b/w prices, BH has the best Colour prices - in general) and not had any issues (knock on wood)
That being said it's only really worthwhile if you are buying bricks, or at least enough quantity that any delivery charge is cost averaged lower.
Lately I've noticed Henrys and other local vendors prices are slowly coming inline with the US for the most part (guess the film companies finally woke up) this is only true of the premium or "pro" films though
consumer grade is still wildly overpriced in Canada IMO
09-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
B&H is IMNSHO the best place for film for Canadian purchasers. They tally the tax etc. without the arbitrariness of the CRA.

I've had 2 good and 1 bad experience buying film on eBay.
09-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I've only bought expired film on eBay, but it arrived and shot as good as new film, so my experiences have been good.

Also, I know ilford's made in England, but both Kodak, and believe it or not, Fuji for the N. American market are made here.
09-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I have bought both expired and new film on the bay, and never had a problem.

However, there are some things to watch for - I compute the cost per roll including shipping of the ebay deal vs. the same film with shipping from B&H and Freestyle. Most of the time one or the other (or both) beat the ebay price.
This has been my experience as well.
09-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I just picked up 2 packages of Superia 200 (4 rolls in each package) at Walgreen, $4.25 each pack. (over $6 at Walmart).