Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #1

How can i use a zeiss lens on a spotmatic?

I have a spotmatic f and a pentax sv camera, as well i have a m42 mount carl zeiss jena biotar 58 f2. I tried to use this lens on those pentax cameras but I failed cause there is a protecting shroud at the rear mount of the lens, it cannot even be mounted on the spf, for the sv it's ok but the shroud blocks the mirror so it doesn't work either...
Is there any solution for the lens to operate normally on the pentax camera? I have saw some pics online of this lens mounting on a spotmatic, how do they do that? Or is there any other pentax m42 camera fit this lens?
If anyone knows please help me... thanks a lot

09-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You'll find that like a few other M42 lenses from various manufacturers you'll need to remove the obstruction using something like a Dremel tool. Not to be recommended in my view.
09-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post a photo of the lens and lens mount? It is highly unusual for a CZJ or FSU M42 lens to not mount cleanly to a Pentax M42 body, particularly in a moderate focal length. Are you sure that it is M42 and not T mount?

Steve
09-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Can you post a photo of the lens and lens mount? It is highly unusual for a CZJ or FSU M42 lens to not mount cleanly to a Pentax M42 body, particularly in a moderate focal length. Are you sure that it is M42 and not T mount?

Steve
Here u are...

Name:  Photo on 2011-09-15 at 00.20.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  85.1 KB

this is how the lens fits on the camera, it is exactly a m42 mount lens but just cannot complete fit in it...

and i think it's because the spotmatic f has this little thing which other spotmatics and the sv don't have...
Name:  Photo on 2011-09-15 at 00.20 #3.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  98.5 KB

09-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erickcgm Quote
Here u are...

Attachment 103611

this is how the lens fits on the camera, it is exactly a m42 mount lens but just cannot complete fit in it...

and i think it's because the spotmatic f has this little thing which other spotmatics and the sv don't have...
Attachment 103614
I was hoping to see a photo of the mount with the "shroud" you mentioned.

BTW...the lens looks like a beauty. When you get bored with it you can send it to me

Steve

(Already has a Helios-44 M, but would love to have a Biotar too!)
09-15-2011, 03:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
I was hoping to see a photo of the mount with the "shroud" you mentioned.

BTW...the lens looks like a beauty. When you get bored with it you can send it to me

Steve

(Already has a Helios-44 M, but would love to have a Biotar too!)
This is a photo of the lens.. just a normal biotar 58/2 T
Name:  Photo on 2011-09-15 at 17.52 #2.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  119.3 KB

comparing to the super-multi-coated takumar 35 f2, u can see the different..
Name:  Photo on 2011-09-15 at 17.53 #2.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  118.7 KB

very obviously there is a extra shroud above the screw on the biotar one while the takumar hasn't...
09-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
i am not giving it away tho, i can still use it on my kr...

just wonder if there's any solution for me to use it on a spotmatic... anyone knows please help..
09-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you can borrow a regular spotmatic to try this with, you might have a chance.

09-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
If you can borrow a regular spotmatic to try this with, you might have a chance.
u think so? now that the lens fits neither of the spf and the sv, i feel hopeless about the sp, but will try if i have chance, thanks..
09-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
better yet, send it to me and I'll try it with a Spotmatic, an ES-II, a TL Electro-X, and a ST605n and report back to you

Seriously, what camera was this originally made for? Yours does not look like the one in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/85719-c-z-jena...ork-again.html
Are you certain the shroud bit doesn't screw off?

Edit:
On further googling, it doesn't seem like this lens will work on many full frame (including film) cameras due to the shroud. Early Prakticas would be suitable... and like you found out APS-C.

Last edited by Nesster; 09-15-2011 at 06:22 AM.
09-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #11

Original Poster
This lens was originally made for the contax camera, available in m42 mount and Exakta mount... and it has i think 3 different versions, they look different and the markings also slightly different...

Check this out.. Captain Jack's Contax/Pentacon Page
My one is exactly the "contax d-2" one cause i bought it as a kit...
09-15-2011, 06:55 AM   #12

Original Poster
Now i can only hope it works on my kr which is now in Japan for repairing the mirror flipping and the uncontrollable e-dial... and the mirror flipping only happens with a manual lens on it.. works normal with auto lenses.. poor me.

I have tried this lens on a m42-pk adopter and it fits, but not sure if it work normally on a DSLR...
09-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter

This lens was originally made for the contax camera, available in m42 mount and Exakta mount... and it has i think 3 different versions, they look different and the markings also slightly different...

Check this out.. Captain Jack's Contax/Pentacon Page
My one is exactly the "contax d-2" one cause i bought it as a kit...
None of those Captain Jack's images shows the m42 mount end of the lens.
09-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
Site Supporter

very obviously there is a extra shroud above the screw on the biotar one while the takumar hasn't...
Yep...very obviously! Apparently the Contax/Pentacon/Praktica bodies had a shorter mirror than Pentax. I suspect that the shroud is removable, though doing so may require minor disassembly of the lens mount from the body. I would avoid grinding it off, if at all possible.

Hinman (user on this site) had and may still have a copy of this lens and was able to use it on his Praktica. He may be a good resource for you. Other than that, there is Google. I did a quick search and while I did find disassembly instructions for the Biotar in Exacta mount, I found nothing for service of the M42 version.

If the shroud is not removable, there is the outside chance that the mount from a Helios 44-2 (early silver version) may work as a direct replacement. (The Helios is a Biotar clone.)

Steve
09-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #15

Original Poster
Yep...very obviously! Apparently the Contax/Pentacon/Praktica bodies had a shorter mirror than Pentax. I suspect that the shroud is removable, though doing so may require minor disassembly of the lens mount from the body. I would avoid grinding it off, if at all possible.

Hinman (user on this site) had and may still have a copy of this lens and was able to use it on his Praktica. He may be a good resource for you. Other than that, there is Google. I did a quick search and while I did find disassembly instructions for the Biotar in Exacta mount, I found nothing for service of the M42 version.

If the shroud is not removable, there is the outside chance that the mount from a Helios 44-2 (early silver version) may work as a direct replacement. (The Helios is a Biotar clone.)

Steve
in order to show the shroud i actually turned the lens to the closest focus length so the rear element goes inside a bit, if it's at the infinite position then the rear element goes about the same level with the edge of the shroud... even if it really doesn't fit I'm not gonna do anything to it, just keep it on the DSLR... anyway thanks for ur information