Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #1

ME Super Problems

Hello! I recently purchased a used Pentax ME Super for a class I'm taking but i have been having some frustrating problems. The camera worked perfectly fine at first, then I did something to keep the shutter closed and the mirror up (fixed by pushing the advance lever to advance it, silly me) it then worked for a bit but then I guess I did something else again. The same thing happened except this time the shutter is open and the mirror is down but the film advance lever is completely loose. I got really frustrated after trying to figure out why it was doing this so I just tried the timer (not a good idea) so now the shutter is closed and the mirror is up. The film advance lever still seems to have no resistance. There is currently no film in the camera. I'm almost positive I'm pushing the advance lever all the way back. I have no idea what to do and I'm thinking of taking it to get cleaned and repaired (probably overpriced) or sell it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and quick replies would help me a lot as I need this camera for school.
Thanks,
Jake

09-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I'm sorry to say Jake, but it sounds like you've just encountered a common problem for ME Supers. Due to age, many need to have the foam and bumpers serviced and it is not a project for the anyone uncomfortable with tools. However, never force the crank if it gets stuck in mid cycle should the shutter reset get tangled up inside. You might snap the metal part that governs the entire film advance cycle and that is a pain to find part cheap. If you need to, contact Eric Hendrickson at http://pentaxs.com/ He is the best!

If you are interested in the diy steps, please have a look...

My blog, where I've been tinkering with the subject on two examples ..

The Classic Camera Repair Forum: Pentax Me Super repair project by Scott_TCR who originally has an excellent post on the subject

Previous post... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/156084-how-rep...e-super-2.html

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-15-2011 at 03:00 AM.