Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #136
Site Supporter

And here's something I wonder about... "preserving information", as someone in the video mentioned... The technology changes so fast, (it seems hardly any time since I was reading in photo magazines about the new high-end cameras with as many as 6 megapixels) ...& I wonder, in 50 or 80 years or so, will the digital images shot on today's technology be somehow lost, or not readable with the technology then? Will it be so different that today's digital formats will be awkward or inaccessible?
I thought about that a while back when I unearthed a bunch of 80+ year old negatives & scanned some for a photo book for my dad. Miscellaneous little pieces of randomly-sized film; they scanned just fine & except for the clothing styles, they might have been taken much more recently.

I wonder what the date on the video was. It's kind of sad or ironic, or something... that it was made by a company that's gone bankrupt...

02-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Film Photography in High School

Just last weekend I learned that our local high school has started teaching film photography again after discontinuing it in 2004. They're re-opened the darkrooms and gotten all the equipment out of storage - including the K1000's they've had since the 80's.

All the practical writing, art and music courses are taught as pre-career curriclula. Photography falls under the Art Department.

Taught as Photo Journalism II (pre-requisite PJ-I), the course is over-subscribed (limit 30 students) and they're considering a competitive, jury selection process.

FWIW, Art, Journalism and Yearbook are award winning - cutting-edge programs. Don't know what this means but it isn't accidental.
02-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #138
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Toting my P 6X7 while feeling the need for coffee yesterday (yes, P 6X7 and caffeine don't often mix) and the young lady working the count struck a big smile when she caught sight of the beast all decked out with left Pentax grip and right custom grip and TTL prism and 105mm with hood. A fellow film user! She studied at the ICA and fell in love with the Hassy 500C, but could not afford one to own. I noted the cost is going up and all medium formats, but I figure I demonstrated an option. She seemed to want to chat about film, but I figure her boss was not going to be happy. A well wish from a fellow film user and that was that.

I brought up this story to set in contrast the next.

Young man was apparently observing my shooting with my P6X7 and waited until I came in range, I had notice him standing up the walk with hands on hips, rolled sleeves and big digital camera dangling from his neck... 5D MkII? "Oh it's F@^%/#g film!" He said while I was standing there with my wife, son and daughter. He then made a dramatic turn and strutted off and seemingly randomly rapid snapping his $3K camera in LV mode? He seemed very satisfied after that so I felt glad to help him get it off his chest... work that runway dude?
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #139

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Toting my P 6X7 while feeling the need for coffee yesterday (yes, P 6X7 and caffeine don't often mix) and the young lady working the count struck a big smile when she caught sight of the beast all decked out with left Pentax grip and right custom grip and TTL prism and 105mm with hood. A fellow film user! She studied at the ICA and fell in love with the Hassy 500C, but could not afford one to own. I noted the cost is going up and all medium formats, but I figure I demonstrated an option. She seemed to want to chat about film, but I figure her boss was not going to be happy. A well wish from a fellow film user and that was that.

I brought up this story to set in contrast the next.

Young man was apparently observing my shooting with my P6X7 and waited until I came in range, I had notice him standing up the walk with hands on hips, rolled sleeves and big digital camera dangling from his neck... 5D MkII? "Oh it's F@^%/#g film!" He said while I was standing there with my wife, son and daughter. He then made a dramatic turn and strutted off and seemingly randomly rapid snapping his $3K camera in LV mode? He seemed very satisfied after that so I felt glad to help him get it off his chest... work that runway dude?
Mr. Onion you are so fortunate? You met someone that 'made your day' then turn around and 'made someone's day'. Sorry to hear your family had to experience a person in serious need of happy pills and manners. On the lite side you were able to make him feel superior and you did your 'good deed' for the day. His $3000 camera might be like me buying a big cc supercharged turbo motorcycle which would be way to much power for my skills.