Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
When I told him it was a film camera he walked away, mumbling something like "G D smart A**" or something similar.
You forgot the machete.

Just say that it uses new technology that bluetooths the image directly to a receptor implanted in your visual cortex, so it doesn't need to waste real estate on a display screen.

Then there's the joke about the three businessmen with implanted communications devices, but I'd better not repeat it here.

Last edited by RioRico; 09-16-2011 at 04:08 PM.
09-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
grhazelton, you know that if you run the math based on film type that it could be an number from 30 megapixel to 500 megapixel... or there abouts. You know if you get a smart remark while under the cloth, just remind them that you are creating not chimping.
Many thanks, Bwana! I'll keep than in mind. I imagine that the sort of yob I was mentioning knows nothing of "film type." Dumb bozos wouldn't know Pan X from Tri X, let alone Neopan. And we haven't dealt with Canikon bozos spying any sort of Pentax, film or digital. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Well, its Friday evening after a week encompassing dental work, with the prospect of $4000 spent on a F***** tooth in the offing. As the saying goes, "S*** happens."

At least we can sort of, kind of, afford it.
09-16-2011, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My weird story:

I was taking photos near a valley with my K10D.

An older guy maybe in his late 50's comes over fully decked out in Northface everything and asks me what kind of camera I was using.

When I showed my K10D he showed me his Canon 5D mark blah blah blah out and mumbled something about "small sensor. . . real camera"

I looked at his camera and told him "ahhh yes, you're using a small format camera" after which I pulled my hasselblad out of my back pack.

His faced turned red and he stormed off. That was the most surreal moment i've ever experienced with cameras

On the plus side, two friends who see me using my program plus and super program kept being surprised at how good the photos I was taking with them were, they've both recently bought film camera's to join the club!
09-16-2011, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I often get funny looks from Leica photographers these days when I still use My M3 with T-Max 100 when I already own a M9 and M8 - the Leica M3 is better at focusing ultrafast normal lenses than the digital rangefinders are, the RF patch is bigger in the M3.

I get some REALLY interesting comments when i'm using my 4X5 or 8X10 view cameras in public - and I always notice that cars seem to drive by slower when I have it pointed at passing traffic at night.Last time I was out and about with my 8X10 I had a few people ask me what the hell I was up to - and when I told them - they didn't believe that such a thing even existed...and many of them suggest I try using a digital camera sometime.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-16-2011 at 05:20 PM.
09-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #20
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
dj_saunter, you should have pointed out the term someone used for digitals when used in combination with medium and large format... advanced lightmeter.

Digitalis, insert angel song [here], Leica M3! Machine and dream!

I listen to some of the youngsters who where I work who gab about ultimate blah-blah CanNiks and so on, but I point out that it doesn't matter if it doesn't become timeless superb. Next year the blah-blah will be replaced with more blah. Timeless I mean Voigtlander Bessa III or Speedgraphic etc.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-18-2011 at 07:04 PM.
09-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Especially if you have a machete on your belt. This works for me every time.
A couple of years ago I took a digital photography class at Clayton State and as an outside trip, the class went down to the Clayton County Nature Preserve. Just to mess with everyone's mind, along with my K100 Super, I took my (at that time) newly serviced S1a and a handheld light meter. That's when I found out how Arlo Guthrie felt sitting on the Group W bench when they all moved away from him.

BTW, this was the class where the teacher asked me what kind of camera I had and when I said Pentax, he said, "Oh, you bought an Edsel." I told him, "No, I bought a camera, not a myth like that Nikon of yours." He never seemed to like me much after that.

Regarding the machete, I prefer a Smith & Wesson MP15 but the 30 round magazine seems to make the local police a little nervous.

CW
09-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Especially if you have a machete on your belt. This works for me every time.
I prefer a Damascus steel kukri - they are more functional than a machete.
09-26-2011, 01:08 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Last year I was wandering around Adelaide with my Mamiya 645 and stumbled across a big celebration function for Chinese New Year. There was a group of pro cameramen with the usual Canikon arrays clacking away for their newspapers. Not being shy about these things, I snuck in with them to get some close-up shots of the crowd. When I hauled out my Mamiya the pros all crowded round and sighed and made comments like "Now that's a real camera!"

Then I ran out of film.

09-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I was at a wedding on Friday with the LX and the Groom's uncle came over and asked me if it was a Canon A1, I was shocked (not just at the insult of being called a Canon owner) that it was recognised as a film SLR! The rest of the day was spent answering how many pixels is it.
09-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #25
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
Alan Clogwyn, assume Ektar 100 and a minimum scan of 4800dpi and you can say 24mp...and include three times the dynamic range... most won't know the difference. I tried that recently and even pretended to chimp the film holder. My Pentax 6x7 was mistaken for a Nikon D7000 and my reply was... "no, no not that lightweight thing, this is the 145mp camera."
09-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
minimum scan of 4800dpi
Where do you get that kind of scan resolution?

Steve
09-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #27
DAP

I've never had any hostile remarks regarding film. The remarks kind of depend on the format. If I'm shooting 35mm every once in a great while I might have somebody ask where I bought the camera (I am assuming that they figure it is digital and want one that looks like it). I get a lot more questions if I am shooting medium or 4x5 - most people have never seen a larger format camera before and they are curious. I think most people see it as quirky and fun (kind of the same reaction I have towards guys who drive around during summer in old restored model Ts).

I have never received any snarky remarks (at least not to my face). People might question "why film instead of digital?", but I consider that a valid inquiry.

Last edited by DAP; 09-27-2011 at 07:55 AM.
09-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #28
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
Steve,
My Epson 4870 claim native resolution is 4800x9600dpi, but it feels more like 3200x3200.

DAP,
I find about 3 out of 5 as negative and 1 out of 8 hostile. Early September, I was at a well known park near Boston and it was early morning and plenty of dog walkers. I think if I were toting a huge Nikon or Canon tricked out with winders/motors and hefty lenses, I would not get as much negative. The day I was walking around with a ADOX folder, I seemed to up the negatives. The Holga I got more positives from the younger gens. The Speed Graphic seemed to spark more respect, but more questions of "why" I would bother or "they still make glass film" or "where is the cloth over my head?" 70% of people ask question and are very polite and I feel the individuals who want to be a jerk look for something to pick on... I'm not intimidated at first glance so it is only natural.

As Digitalis said
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Damascus steel kukri
...yeah, fall colors and some places planned and $300 of film in the freezer... this year I'm going to document the encounters... I'll say I'm doing a piece on how people really feel.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-27-2011 at 05:02 PM.
09-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
I've never had any hostile remarks regarding film. The remarks kind of depend on the format. If I'm shooting 35mm every once in a great while I might have somebody ask where I bought the camera (I am assuming that they figure it is digital and want one that looks like it). I get a lot more questions if I am shooting medium or 4x5 - most people have never seen a larger format camera before and they are curious. I think most people see it as quirky and fun (kind of the same reaction I have towards guys who drive around during summer in old restored model Ts).

I have never received any snarky remarks (at least not to my face). People might question "why film instead of digital?", but I consider that a valid inquiry.
Hi.

A couple of years ago I went on a field trip with a nearby photo club. I'm perfectly comfortable shooting digital, having done digital imaging professionally since 1993. However, I have more fun with film and prefer it for large black and white prints. That day I decided to use my Ikoflex 1a. It looks a bit ratty but works perfectly and has a very nice Tessar lens. (It's a Zeiss Ikon TLR dating from the early 50s.) I just wandered along quietly minding my own business. A very prominent member of the group. who had never deigned to speak to me before, marched up and announced "You're out of business." I mildly replied "I don't think so". The prominent member marched away without saying anything else. The following year he was elected President of the club.

Earlier this year a 30x30 inch print of one of the images I made that day was the first piece to sell at one of three major gallery exhibits I did this year. There were three other gallery-quality images on the roll I shot that day.

Maybe I'm not out of business after all...The pic that sold is below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/pentaxforums/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Images

Last edited by John Poirier; 09-27-2011 at 06:25 PM.
09-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #30
Site Supporter

I don't understand this negativity. Mystery Onion, that encounter is nothing short of strange in my books.
Luckily so far I have only received positive or curious comments. Nothing openly negative or hostile anyway. I guess some people are ignorant.