Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #106

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is what I tell most people who question me when I am shooting in public.

Steve
Does that work on the COPs?

11-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
I live in the Portland area. If you are an artist or an anarchist you can do pretty much as you please...unless you are photographing children in public...

Steve
11-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #108

I pretty much shoot whenever, wherever. As long as you're on public property (here in the US) and you're not breaking any other laws, they really can't say anything to you. Useful little tidbit I picked up working in television and for a local paper. Just be discreet and don't do anything stupid, best policy.
11-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #109
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cwebsterlusk Quote
Useful little tidbit I picked up working in television and for a local paper. Just be discreet and don't do anything stupid, best policy.
I have actually taken to carrying my savannah morning news press badge with me when I’m out in public shooting personal photography, because even though I have never broken a law much less a danger to kids, my ‘credentials’ quickly change the subject when people give me looks or attempt to approach me. (yes you moms know I am talking about you.) its a damn shame really, but I feel its the only way I can protect myself from being guilty before proven innocent just for being a single man with a camera who enjoys taking portraits of local citizens in his free time.

11-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #110

I usually take my press badge with me too, though I rarely need it. It does cut down on the animosity toward a big guy with a camera lol
11-15-2011, 04:16 AM   #111
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
So a convert and new question later...
Last time, I was helping someone with her choice of film cameras... picked a handsome TLR that she hopes to pick up at a used place. Next day I was asked by a young man with a spike fixed to his nose and a Canon dSLR in hand, "Dude! How long have you been using that?" his joy was expressed with... I think the sign of the devil? He said he had been talking to "dudes" on the forums about film cameras and a few of his friends with plastic cameras. I conversed about some points and in parting he said "bad-ass!" and again with the hand sign. I felt even older, but good.
11-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
So a convert and new question later...
Last time, I was helping someone with her choice of film cameras... picked a handsome TLR that she hopes to pick up at a used place. Next day I was asked by a young man with a spike fixed to his nose and a Canon dSLR in hand, "Dude! How long have you been using that?" his joy was expressed with... I think the sign of the devil? He said he had been talking to "dudes" on the forums about film cameras and a few of his friends with plastic cameras. I conversed about some points and in parting he said "bad-ass!" and again with the hand sign. I felt even older, but good.
The thing I found funky was the chick at the mini lab didnít know what a cool camera a TLR is. Dude that is Way Out! I showed the Chick a thing or two nows shes hip, in the groove of things. Isnít that Wild !
Peace Man
11-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #113
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
While at a church event, I spotted the lady with the dSLR P&S thing from before. She had gotten a different camera... Sony. I was not there to shoot, but was with a film camera and later filed four shots for the event anyway. Church lady there had talked to the person in charge of the event and was given the duty of shooting for it. I was asked for images as she apparently turned in unusable images... she is not going to be happy with me coming Sunday.

11-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #114

I was asked for images as she apparently turned in unusable images... she is not going to be happy with me coming Sunday.
Things like this happen to me all the time. I just happen to show up with a camera and get good shots and the people who are actually supposed to be shooting get crap. It also means I get a LOT of people asking me for camera advice, which I'll happily give if you aren't going to be annoying about it.
11-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #115
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cwebsterlusk Quote
I get a LOT of people asking me for camera advice, which I'll happily give if you aren't going to be annoying about it.
I will admit that most people are always interested regardless of the camera I use. So you make a good point for me to remember. It is the very few who had a reason other than honest that seem to get upset. For that time originally when I first encountered the P&S dSLR lady, I had a lovely chat with two people who dreamed of getting back into taking pictures. I asked them what this had for cameras and one said Minolta X700 and the other was Nikon F3. I told them that those were solid good cameras that did not deserve being stored away. They both (husband and wife) mention that they stopped working and that is why they are in a drawer. I asked if they replaced them with something else and they said they both picked up digitals, but the memory cards are full and they have not bothered to take them to a place to get the images printed. It was a very good chat and I admit that I let Mrs. PSdSLR shadow that... and a quick shift back to the subject of the thread. I was informed that my film shot were mistaken for digital... I did scan them after I C-41 the roll. The person was shocked that it was a film camera... 6X7 format. So she might talk to her soon to be sister-in-law about some photo work she needed done. Mrs. PSdSLR was apparently auditioning for that and I'll have to make sure I don't park my car in the church lot for a while.
11-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #116

I don't park my car in the church lot
CAREFUL, that camera lady sounds cunning : )
11-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #117
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
CAREFUL, that camera lady sounds cunning : )
She may be... Didn't see her, but my accepted picture were not run in the Sunday magazine... no pictures of the event were found.
02-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #118
Veteran Member

This was an interesting thread. Coming along a little late, but it was entertaining to read what reactions other film shooters get. Goodness, if I got all the negatives MysteryOnion gets I'd lose my patience in a big hurry.
I've had mixed reactions. I sell prints locally & meet a lot of tourists, & for a while it seemed that everyone felt a need to "evangelize" me, even saying things like "oh, you'll switch soon. You WILL." 1 or 2 summer residents consistently nag "have you switched to digital yet?" each year. I shut one up by telling him about the $11 keychain camera I got at Home Hardware (it's a POC but it's digital!). Tourists go on about how great their digicams are, but it's set on automatic & they don't know what half the functions are.
Lately though, I've had a few people say, "Oh, yes, the quality from film is so much better" which always surprises me because I thought digital was considered to have "caught up" quite some time ago. Maybe they've got $11 hardware-store cameras too.
I get, "You must have a really good camera, to get that shot." I smile & say, "Yes, I do."
The majority of the tourists suggest I "should switch". (Why? What's it to THEM??) Gets old fast.
On a transatlantic sailing trip, I was really pleased to find that quite a number of the other (younger) crew members thought it was "really cool" that I shot film. One of them had his camera roll overboard in a 20-ft sea. I would've been gutted -- he took it really well, & said "Now I can get a real camera, like yours."
In Ireland, I was astounded to find you could still buy slide film in drugstores. And an environment-ministry photographer who showed up to take a few (digital) pix of a tour we were on, appeared with a lens as long as my whole camera bag, & with barely a glance he identified what I was carrying & the first thing out of his mouth was "Well, someone here has a real camera."
Finally, doing souvenir sales at another port back in Canada for the same ship, I looked at literally several thousand people traipse through, many with postage-stamp-sized cameras, and felt myself a very lonely film user in a digital world. Finally one woman appeared & I think I scared her. I said, "HEY, that's a FILM camera," & I'm sure my eyes got very big & shiny. I was hoping for some sense of instant kinship!, but she started going on about how it was all she had & she didn't have time to go to the drugstore & get one of those disposable ones, & she wanted pictures of the ship so this was all she could bring, like she was apologizing for it. Shees.
So, it's been really mixed. But I get really sick of people telling me they think I should switch, as if it has anything to do with them at all! I can't make people like that understand that I LIKE THE PROCESS of shooting with film.
Anyway, it's been nice to know there are other film shooters out there... there sure aren't any others in my little corner of the world!
02-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Anyway, it's been nice to know there are other film shooters out there... there sure aren't any others in my little corner of the world!
Heh, there are very few in my corner. Me and one other, who turns his nose up at Pentax. Of course he shoots Canon, Minolta, Yashica and Bronica. Doesnt stop me from carting around my Super Program everywhere I go. I do shoot digital professionally (for various papers, band shoots etc) but I always have my film body with me. And yeah, people laugh. If i had a penny for all the times someone told me, "No serious photographer shoots film anymore," I would be a millionaire. Just keep going with it, those of us who still shoot with it know the truth about a good film camera. Gotta love that feel.
02-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah - I get all the crapola. I volunteer with a national youth program. Two of my firends are on the publicity committee and tote honking rigs with Strobframes and L lenses. I plink around with an MESuper or something (LX!! - even an XA).

One guy just can't believe I don't have a "camera." He's sure I just can't afford one. The other guy gets it and knows Pentax lenses. He's always interested in what I bring.

He says the difference between digital (enthusiast) sycophants and film guys is whether or not we print.