Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #121
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hey, I've been elsewhere and can see that a few folks added some stories. I've had a very quiet few weeks and not gone out to shoot much and so have had few interesting encounters, but there was one day I did and a guy shouted "Dang, that is a big digital camera!" It was my Pentax 6X7 and he looked so impressed by its size that I didn't say anything... he looked so amazed.

Today I zipped out my Pentax LX and sized up a shot, snapped and when I turned around to have a guy say... "You sure you got it?" I noted he had a big Canon dSLR rig and a big lens perched between his hands. I had my LX with the M-85mmf2.0 and the hood... he advised me that I've been too hasty turning from my shot without checking for lighting. I answered... "125th-f5.6ish and that was 1 and 1/3 for the shade difference... I'm good, thank you." He brought his camera up in front and half arms length and took a series... possibly bracketing and live-view mode and then tipped his camera LCD to me and demonstrated his confidence. The last image was close to correct, but still too dark due to the bright background. I advised him to take it off auto and shoot it at 125th-f5.6 and see... I walked away and he said behind me... "You can't do that with these cameras!" I kept on walking and said nothing.

02-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Hey, I've been elsewhere and can see that a few folks added some stories. I've had a very quiet few weeks and not gone out to shoot much and so have had few interesting encounters, but there was one day I did and a guy shouted "Dang, that is a big digital camera!" It was my Pentax 6X7 and he looked so impressed by its size that I didn't say anything... he looked so amazed.

Today I zipped out my Pentax LX and sized up a shot, snapped and when I turned around to have a guy say... "You sure you got it?" I noted he had a big Canon dSLR rig and a big lens perched between his hands. I had my LX with the M-85mmf2.0 and the hood... he advised me that I've been too hasty turning from my shot without checking for lighting. I answered... "125th-f5.6ish and that was 1 and 1/3 for the shade difference... I'm good, thank you." He brought his camera up in front and half arms length and took a series... possibly bracketing and live-view mode and then tipped his camera LCD to me and demonstrated his confidence. The last image was close to correct, but still too dark due to the bright background. I advised him to take it off auto and shoot it at 125th-f5.6 and see... I walked away and he said behind me... "You can't do that with these cameras!" I kept on walking and said nothing.
Yes I have also noticed more people watching me shot with my Pentax 67 than when I shoot with one of my 35mm SLRs. Must be the size and that you can't mistake it for a DLSR.

Phil.
02-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #123
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yes I have also noticed more people watching me shot with my Pentax 67 than when I shoot with one of my 35mm SLRs. Must be the size and that you can't mistake it for a DLSR.

Phil.
try using one with a polaroid back. the look of confusion on peoples faces is priceless.
02-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
try using one with a polaroid back. the look of confusion on peoples faces is priceless.
I can imagine!

Phil.

02-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #125
Veteran Member

This thread also reminded me of a photo workshop I was on out west. There were only 3 of us plus the leader, & the other 2 guys were digitrolls. (Sorry -- can't resist that word sometimes.) We stopped along a roadside where there were some aspens with nice fall colour. One guy would shoot, no kidding, a couple hundred pictures, of a patch of trees, in about 20 minutes. It was unreal. I'd shoot 3 or 4, all carefully composed, exposure checked etc., because I couldn't afford to waste film. The same thing happened most of the places we stopped.
We'd get back to the lodge after dark, have supper, be tired... digital guy was moaning about how it had been a long day & how tired he was & he STILL had to go upstairs & spend an hour or 2 downloading a thousand pictures ... (and I think he had technical problems with that too).
I said, "Oh, man, I hear ya. I'm really tired too. And now I have to go upstairs and rewind a whole film, and get another one out of my camera bag and put it IN."
At least on that expedition the teasing was good natured. It went back & forth; they had techy problems, I ran out of film; so it was kind of an even match. It's the people who feel a need to tell you how out of date you are that really bug me.
This is in danger of turning into a rant, but why the heck do these people feel they need to tell someone else what they ought to shoot with? I can't think of another thing that people seem to do this with. I mean, you don't hear "What do you want an old Ford for? Anyone who's up to date has a Toyota these days", or "You still have that old poodle? Poodles are so passe. Bernese Mountain Dogs are where it's at now, you know". Or, [insert item here] !
If they love their digital, good for them. Go have fun with it. I won't try to "convert" them "back". But I choose film & that's my affair so shut up already!
Your camera should be something YOU are comfortable with & enjoy, be fun to use, & give you the results you want. It doesn't matter what the next guy's using if you like what YOU have.
02-03-2012, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
This thread also reminded me of a photo workshop I was on out west. There were only 3 of us plus the leader, & the other 2 guys were digitrolls. (Sorry -- can't resist that word sometimes.) We stopped along a roadside where there were some aspens with nice fall colour. One guy would shoot, no kidding, a couple hundred pictures, of a patch of trees, in about 20 minutes. It was unreal. I'd shoot 3 or 4, all carefully composed, exposure checked etc., because I couldn't afford to waste film. The same thing happened most of the places we stopped.
We'd get back to the lodge after dark, have supper, be tired... digital guy was moaning about how it had been a long day & how tired he was & he STILL had to go upstairs & spend an hour or 2 downloading a thousand pictures ... (and I think he had technical problems with that too).
I said, "Oh, man, I hear ya. I'm really tired too. And now I have to go upstairs and rewind a whole film, and get another one out of my camera bag and put it IN."
At least on that expedition the teasing was good natured. It went back & forth; they had techy problems, I ran out of film; so it was kind of an even match. It's the people who feel a need to tell you how out of date you are that really bug me.
This is in danger of turning into a rant, but why the heck do these people feel they need to tell someone else what they ought to shoot with? I can't think of another thing that people seem to do this with. I mean, you don't hear "What do you want an old Ford for? Anyone who's up to date has a Toyota these days", or "You still have that old poodle? Poodles are so passe. Bernese Mountain Dogs are where it's at now, you know". Or, [insert item here] !
If they love their digital, good for them. Go have fun with it. I won't try to "convert" them "back". But I choose film & that's my affair so shut up already!
Your camera should be something YOU are comfortable with & enjoy, be fun to use, & give you the results you want. It doesn't matter what the next guy's using if you like what YOU have.
I find that people who acknowledge that I’m shooting film usually fall into four categories.

1) The over 45 folks who shot film for years and fondly remember those days. These are the nicest and want to chat about what gear/film you are using. Most of the folks who comment thankfully fall into this group.

2) The 30-45’s who never or seldom shot film. These are the annoying ones who carry the big DSLRs and think you’re a fool to still shoot film. I get the stupid comments from these folks and try to ignore them. When I have my super telephoto “big guns” out on a tripod or my 67, they NEVER make comments and just look afraid and run. My K1000/8 is usually five times longer than the lens they have, so take that!

3) The 20-30s who might be or would like to try film because it’s cool. They usually just smile and make a one word comment like nice or cool. They are mostly friendly and don’t bother me.

4) The under 20’s. They have no clue what you are doing or care, they just think I’m an old geaser acting weird. They never talk or make any comments and just look at you funny.

Yes shooting film today is a "fun" adventure!

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 02-03-2012 at 05:59 PM.
02-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #127
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
3) The 20-30s who might be or would like to try film because it’s cool. They usually just smile and make a one word comment like nice or cool. They are mostly friendly and don’t bother me.
Most of the "filmies" I know fall into this category. They are artsie types who often enough shoot no digital except for with their phone cams.

Steve

02-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #128

My moment of the day yesterday was watching some kid (maybe just out of college if that old) on the subway with a digital Leica dangling loosely around his neck..and there I sat with an ME Super and 28mm, loaded with XP-2. I did not feel envy; just astonishment...one doesn't go into Washington, DC wearing a Leica unless you have a death grip on it!
02-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WOW I go back to reread some of this thread and there are three new posts.
Last week end I went shooting around town with a fellow I met here on the Forums. We were both shooting film. The only 2 people that we saw came out to see what we were doing. One ask if we were up to no good. I thought that was funny. I haven't been asked that in nearly 50 years. We explained that we were both trying new film equipment out. Bob was trying out a camera he had just gotten ,and I was trying out some Ilford film..After getting my film processed I took a couple of prints of the hardware store (where we were approached ) back and gave them to the owner.
I have always shot color film. I have never been a big B&W shooter . but I may need to change my thinking about that after seeing the results from the Ilford roll. and do more B&W shooting .
02-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #130

I was a taking some shots of one of Jeff Gordon's Nascar rides at a local venue with my SFXn and a woman asked me what kind of camera I had, assuming it was a dSLR. I told her it was a film camera and she then asked me how I had converted it to digital. I said, "I'm shooting film." She literally did not know what to say. I had to laugh at her astonishment, rude though it might have been.
02-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
The only 2 people that we saw came out to see what we were doing. One ask if we were up to no good. I thought that was funny. I haven't been asked that in nearly 50 years.
????!! The level of paranoia one hears about is startling. There was a thread a while back about the L.A. police dept (I think?) & some homeland-security-type regulations about suspicious activity, including people taking pictures.
Seriously, if you were either casing a joint to rob it, or figuring out where to put the bomb, would you be so obvious as to stand in the middle of the street with a camera?
Shees!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom in Delaware Quote
I told her it was a film camera and she then asked me how I had converted it to digital.
"Well, it's a little tricky but not really that hard... I took out the quantum converters and realigned the histogram capacitors; then all you have to do is make sure your CCD flux generators are properly ISO-calibrated when you load the film... I could show you but I left my sonic screwdriver at home."
02-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Well, it's a little tricky but not really that hard... I took out the quantum converters and realigned the histogram capacitors; then all you have to do is make sure your CCD flux generators are properly ISO-calibrated when you load the film... I could show you but I left my sonic screwdriver at home."
My luck she would be an electronic whiz
02-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #133
Forum Member

At school i get alot of people asking me "Why do you use film cameras? there rubbish." they obviously know nothing about photography i allways reply with a long list of advantages "1. medium format film provides more resolution than all point and shoots and most digital SLRs.,2.There a hell of alot cheaper than DSLRs." "3. lenses are cheaper" etc. etc. after a long list the allways walk away gobsmacked but, they still think film is rubbish.
02-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #134
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hayob Quote
walk away gobsmacked but, they still think film is rubbish.
They've been brain washed!

I remember some of those "Info-mercials" that first sold the "new technology of 6 megapixels" and how they surpass "the film cameras that you or your parents onced used for those family snap shots" These programs and alike have laid the foundation of the Betters of Digitals.

Recently, I fielded a question from a person who was shopping for a new digital so he could do those snaps of the kid and family. Half way through the search and comparisons of digi-P&S cameras he asked me which do I like to shoot with. I said I own two types of digitals, but my love is still with film. He stood frozen and then finally asked why I think I know so much about digitals if I don't like to use them and I had a long explanation for that one too. He didn't believe me and started to try and teach me about... the modern times and photography. One important fact that he wished to share with all us film users... "You know you and all the other film photographers are missing out on all the detail digital brings...the movie industry is going to digital... no director uses film anymore." I asked if he checked that fact recently.

The FPP group had this discussion and link

I wish I heard about this just a little sooner last week.
02-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Recently, I fielded a question from a person who was shopping for a new digital so he could do those snaps of the kid and family. Half way through the search and comparisons of digi-P&S cameras he asked me which do I like to shoot with
It always amazes me how fast someone can become an expert on a subject. I shoot both Yesterday after having trouble finding a film developer here ( I am on vacation) I was told I should change over to dital. I explained that I do shoot both, and that what I am shooting along with several factors usually dictate which I use. One major factor is which format I WANT to use at any given time. There are many time's when film just makes more sense to me to be the format of choice