Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
For yucks... I had my LX and winder with 85mm and hood in hand and the 6x7 dangling off to the side this past Monday. I tried to think and size up the shot with the LX, but it was not happening... I guy walked up holding a Canon Powershot and said, "maybe you need to get a better camera!" I thanked him and drew up the 6x7 and made the shot and simply said "yes, that did the trick! Thanks for the suggestion." He didn't look happy and walked off.
In all my years I've never encountered any snide film/digital remarks from anybody. The ones that have approached me mostly talk about the camera they use to have like that or, in case of the Hasselblad, the curious asking what is that. Could it be the personality behind the camera that brings on these situations.

10-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I often get funny looks from Leica photographers these days when I still use My M3 with T-Max 100 when I already own a M9 and M8 - the Leica M3 is better at focusing ultrafast normal lenses than the digital rangefinders are, the RF patch is bigger in the M3.

I get some REALLY interesting comments when i'm using my 4X5 or 8X10 view cameras in public - and I always notice that cars seem to drive by slower when I have it pointed at passing traffic at night.Last time I was out and about with my 8X10 I had a few people ask me what the hell I was up to - and when I told them - they didn't believe that such a thing even existed...and many of them suggest I try using a digital camera sometime.
I was waiting for someone to mention view cameras. Still nothing like a 4x5 or 8x10 negative. I still have a stash of Polaroid Positive/Negative film that I take to festivals. Give my subject the print and have a negative to boot.
I also use Leica (an M-6) and agree about the M3 viewfinder. Positive focusing with both eyes open! I love being different. One reason I also use Pentax (K20 and K2).
10-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got a Pentax 67 so I'll see if anything changes here at home relating to comments. Most liklely not and I will just be ignored. The only time anyone has ever talked to me when I was shooting film is when I was using my super telephotos. (K1000/8 or K500/4.5). Then I get the bazooka jokes, "Are you planning to take a picture or blow that up!".

Phil

Last edited by gofour3; 10-19-2011 at 08:11 PM.
10-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #64
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Could it be the personality behind the camera that brings on these situations.
I'm certainly am an easy target as I look like a tourist to many people. When out photographing, this year I've gotten "are you lost, do you need help finding somewhere?" Oh, and two years back... up in Conway, New Hampshire while shooting with my Speed Graphic, I had a fella asked me if old out of date photography technology was popular in my country... I wish I then had something cleaver to say.

10-19-2011, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #65

I’ve had a couple ill-mannered persons tell me I should purchase a CaNikon.
I now have a response for them “I spend my money on quality. Pentax is like Hasselblad and Leica - can’t purchase at Wally World.”
I save that line for the superior attitude CaNikon is better than Pentax. Read that line carefully I didn't say Pentax is better than. . .
10-20-2011, 02:18 AM   #66
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
Have you noticed the "Wally World" cameras model in the hands of some people... and then strut around and call themselves "Pro" photographers? Even I would not dare to do that even with the crazy array of gear I have.
This past Spring, I was asked to capture crowd and organizers activities during a big church function to be put in there website and bulletin. I've had someone push her camera up to my face... Nikon D whatever... at that event. She said "...this professional photographers will cover this event..." I happen to know she was not asked by the organizers to do this, but I could get the hint she wanted me to back off covering the event. From then on I noticed she was struggling with live-view on that dslr... used it like a p&s? Yes, I did suggest that she take it off live mode, but got looks of daggers. Later that month, she complained bitterly that none of her images made it to publication. I forgot... I do believe she zeroed in on me because I was first shooting with my LX, catching setting up and candid stuff. The church wanted to get fast uploads of images and so I had my K20D and my 6x7 was along for fun... some old timers were going to be there and had great stories of their photo-travel days and liked when I bring the vintage gear.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 10-20-2011 at 02:39 AM.
10-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #67
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I’m really surprised at his stated reaction to be honest, as most people nowadays seem to be very curious and in my own personal opinion, quite happy at the sight of a film camera. I got quite a few comments and questions the other day when I was out with one of mine, and none of them were anything like you described. I guess he’s not much interested in older technology, or those people who use it.
This is consistent with my experience as well, I find that most people are curious and even fascinated by the use of film cameras. I had a few people my age and younger (I'm 31) ask me a bunch of questions about my Hasselblad recently. These weren't people walking around with $1000 DSLRs either, just your average young people with curiosity.

10-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was out with my KX yesterday and had a nice talk about film with someone who used to work with Fuji and Minolta during the 1970’s.

He had no idea so many people were still shooting film. It was a bit sad as he looked down on his luck and was possibly homeless.

Phil.
10-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I was out with my KX yesterday and had a nice talk about film with someone who used to work with Fuji and Minolta during the 1970’s.

He had no idea so many people were still shooting film. It was a bit sad as he looked down on his luck and was possibly homeless.

Phil.
Not enough still shooting film, though......
Actually, but for the grace of God, there go us all.
10-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #70
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
These weren't people walking around with $1000 DSLRs either, just your average young people with curiosity.

My unfriendliest encounters are with the dSLR owners. I think that quite a few of them are not knowledgeable about photography and easily feel threatened when they see someone having a good time with a camera that is well below $1700. This past Saturday I was shooting some color shots in the front yard of the collection fallen leaves and a fella walked up to the gate holding a Nikon with a massive zoom on it... looked like a 50ish to 300ish kind of zoom and possibly 2.8? Has observed that my camera must be very accurate and expensive since he didn't see me check the results on the lcd. I informed him that it was a 6x7 film camera and he was shocked and right away he had to let out an insult... "So you don't what you are shooting, just guessing..." I tried to turn it around to a friendlier conversation... "I already know what I'm looking for in the shot and made the necessary adjustments..." He interrupted and turned his camera around to show me his lcd and said, "See... I know when it is a perfect picture and don't waste time." I would wonder how much "chimpping" occurred as his collection of shots looked very random and singular. I simply smiled and nodded... he seemed satisfied to that he thought he showed me up and walked down the street. I watched him aim up at the maples and take a snap and chimp and take and chimp.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 10-25-2011 at 10:32 AM.
10-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #71

That guy would had a field day with me. Sunday night I was using a lens that was manufactured during the late 60's on an amateur DSLR K200d that is going on 4 yrs old. I enjoy this type of experimentation, $20.00 attachment allows for a month of Sundays enjoyment.
10-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #72
Inactive Account

Sheesh, I don't get it. How can you not respect the roots of the art form you partake in? Does a digital illustrator scoff at people who use pencils and pens? It makes no sense to me. Maybe it's the inner artist in me, but I can't fathom why somebody would want to create art without understanding and respecting the roots of the art form.
10-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm very glad some people disrespect film cameras. If they didn't I wouldn't have been able to find a K1000 in nice condition for less than a good dinner out at the flea market on Sunday. Their loss is my gain, particularly when I get an "extra" lens out of it that I can sell and make my money back. If I sell the 50 1:2 on this camera I can basically say I got the K1000 for free. I might even make a few more $$$ than I spent with any luck.
10-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #74
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
Oddly, when I take my Rollei out for a walk people can't help but stop me and talk fondly about it and film...Maybe it get's such positive comments because there is no mistaking it's age and the nostalgia, IDK.
I have a Rollei T that gets a similar reaction and while I'd most likely never say it to a stranger, I've pointed out to friends that it can also double as the infamous "blunt instrument" of criminal lore...

Brad
10-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #75
Veteran Member

I whip out my 1930 KW G&T Patent-Etui 6x9cm folder, and people stop and stare and point... and keep their distance. Even if I don't have a machete on my belt.