Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #76
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
That guy would had a field day with me. Sunday night I was using a lens that was manufactured during the late 60's on an amateur DSLR K200d that is going on 4 yrs old. I enjoy this type of experimentation, $20.00 attachment allows for a month of Sundays enjoyment.
I think you should be much credited for trying something and explore rather than tote a $1200 and not know how to use it and scoff at people.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
Does a digital illustrator scoff at people who use pencils and pens?
"Some people have sense to look and see all that is out there and know there it much to learn; some can't look past there navel lint, but call it the world." Well... something like that.

Oh... on my way home from work... a fella in his mid-50s caught a look at my LX with a 6x7 to K adapter and a 6x7 75mm lens on it. Excited, he said out loud, "That beats the S*** out of the digi-junk-cams my students like to use!" That was cooool!

10-25-2011, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

Although I do not have stats or evidence to back it I believe that there is more tolerance from digital people for film than 3 or 4 years ago, at least that seems to be my experience. Most of the time I am asked why in a curious not a dismissive manner and some stop to tell about their own (old) experiences and when using the view camera more than once I have been told that they appreaciate seeing some one using the antique cameras. One of my view cameras is 90 years old the other about 10.

For a few years now it reminds me of when mountain bikes first came out, roadies and mountain bikers seems to be opponents but now even though the majority of bikes sold are mountain bikes (or the two types mentioned) but there is not the animosity. In fact I read taht the majority of bikes are mountain bikes but the majority of road bike owners also own mountain bikes. I shoot film because I want to but I also shoot digital when I want to and I really do not care what anyone else thinks. But I will politely answer why if I am asked but I refuse to argue with strangers about it.
10-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #78
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I shoot film because I want to but I also shoot digital when I want to and I really do not care what anyone else thinks. But I will politely answer why if I am asked but I refuse to argue with strangers about it.
That is the right way to go. I've tried to keep a good attitude about most encounters and that it why I vent some of the extremes here. My nod and smile is my usual defense and only on rare extremes might I try to say anything.

Here is a story told to me by a friend standing at a camera shop...

A salesman said to the customer, "...this will always take beautiful pictures, it does all the work for you..." and the customer said, "my friend had one that looked like this and he spent an extra three-fifty for the better lens..." The salesman said, "...hell thats not a deal, we'll fix you up with a better lens and it will only be an extra two hundred..." It was the Sigma 18-200mm he was selling him and I'm not sure about prices, but less the kit lens and $1378 total for a D200... throwing in an 8gig card and cleaning kit... didn't sound that good. The guy forked over the credit card and said, "...as long as it is easy to use like my friend's pro camera."
10-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #79

I've seen more bemusement or wonderment than animosity lately. Most extreme case was my wife's old college best friend. When we were out and about with her (plus her husband and kids) last year, I was following the toddlers around popping of pix with my Canon P rangefinder. When I hit the end of a roll, I calmly rewound, pulled an extra film out of my pocket and reloaded, mostly while walking. Before I did that, the friend hadn't realized it was a film camera. She then gazed in wonderment, and gushed to my wife "does he still have one of those?! I can't believe he still has one of those! I haven't seen one of those in years!" Well OK, (a) I'm right here; you could say that to me but never mind that; and (b) we're all about 40, and it's only been maybe 8 years since film cameras disappeared from mainstream use. You sound like a crusty 75-year-old seeing a 1950s car model that you hadn't seen one of since 1970!
--Dave

10-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #80
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although I do not have stats or evidence to back it I believe that there is more tolerance from digital people for film than 3 or 4 years ago
I concur. 3 or 4 years ago, shooting with a film camera often meant you simply had not yet "upgraded" to digital and were either too poor or too dumb to do so. Today, it means that you have made a choice and often enough that choice is accompanied by a high level of expertise.

Steve
10-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
She then gazed in wonderment, and gushed to my wife "does he still have one of those?
She would have been even more amazed if she knew that the camera you were shooting with was made x-number of years before she was born!

Steve
10-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #82
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I concur. 3 or 4 years ago, shooting with a film camera often meant you simply had not yet "upgraded" to digital and were either too poor or too dumb to do so.
Then your statement is along the lines of exactly what I encounter ONE OUT OF SEVEN TIMES when I'm out shooting. One could say that the weird, rude, or angry types are simply behind the times and should just accept that some people just enjoy shooting with film cameras... even Pentax cameras.

My "even Pentax" statement is from a fact that this past June, I was ask by a guy, why a Pentax and film question. I was using my LX at the time and the person pointed out that the Nikon F5 is a superior camera when he got it years ago. I said "you should still use it as it is an AF and fancy metering and all..." and I add that I enjoyed using my LX and it is a very fancy camera and was top of the line when it came out in the 80s. He simply didn't register what I said and pointed out that his F5 was a real camera and quality... "not sure why any one could shoot with less." he then added that maybe the Asian market, they tend to push inferior brand where I come from and that in US, "we Americans" look for the best... I get this all the time too, not looking American? He soon end by smiling and saying that I should look into the new Nikon dSLR that "just came out... nice chatting with you, don't forget my advice to you." and waved and walked to chat with other folks at this event.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 10-26-2011 at 07:21 PM.
10-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Kneeling on a boardwalk at Yellowstone this June and waiting for a few tourists to pass before I took a shot with the Hasselblad one of the women just in passing said "I hope you have Kodak in that camera". She was not a photographer but a resident of Rochester. I told her only the colour film as the black and white is from Japan. Earlier a Japanese or perhaps Chinese tourist was watching me closely for more than a couple of minutes until she had to rejoin her group, she had a Lecia digital I think around her neck and then later in the week shooting the 4X5 at Mormon Barns in Gran Teton at least three other photographers started conversations with me, none said more than a hello to my wife shooting digital.

I have never shot a LX but I have a F5, no thanks but it was no worse to use than the D1X. Wayne Lynch a fairly successful wildlife and nature photographer from Alberta told me that he used F100s as the F5 was just too big (it might have been the F4 at the time as this was years ago but the point is he did not want to use a big heavy camera).

We are most likely going to go out shooting this weekend and my wife is going to be using my 4X5 and I will use the 1920s Seneca Improved 5X7 and the MZ5n/K-r combination.

Do they still make film for that is a comment I hear fairly often with the large format but some times with the medium format but most of the time it is of curious rather than as a put down. I do wonder while reading these posts, mine included, if perhaps we who shoot film are also less hostile in attitude and therefore less likely to encounter it as well?
10-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #84
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
We are most likely going to go out shooting this weekend and my wife is going to be using my 4X5 and I will use the 1920s Seneca Improved 5X7 and the MZ5n/K-r combination.
Nice weekend!

I have a few 4x5 Ektar still waiting around begging to be used, so l think I'll prep up my old Speed Graphic... thanks for the idea.
10-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #85
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Nice weekend!

I have a few 4x5 Ektar still waiting around begging to be used, so l think I'll prep up my old Speed Graphic... thanks for the idea.
Please post the results! I have been tempted to buy some Ektar for my Chamonix, but the price for the film and processing has totally put me off.

Steve
10-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #86
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
Sure thing Steve. Chamonix looks cool! Wish I had the budget for that! Got my Speed Graphic broken, so very cheap and I repaired it myself, so very cheap again.

but the price for the film and processing has totally put me off.
Have you ever done your own C-41? If you know b&w processing, it is not that different. It is the only way I can do my color 4x5, however, the film is over $20 per ten sheet and via B&H, otherwise it is about almost $30 local if I find it.
10-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
they tend to push inferior brand where I come from and that in US, "we Americans" look for the best... I get this all the time too, not looking American?
Someone that still doesn’t get it. U.S. has been the great melting pot of the world.
Instamatic, rangefinder, SLR, film or digital who cares just don’t buy one of those Holgas!
10-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #88
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
Instamatic, rangefinder, SLR, film or digital who cares just don’t buy one of those Holgas!
If I see him again in the up coming function in November, I'll ask him how that Nikon D5100 is doing... if he doesn't own one, then I will remind him that it would be what he calls the "Best" and that less than that would be un-American... actually I would not bother.

Oh... forgot. Walking down the street yesterday with a "Film Photography Project" sticker on my backpack and heard chuckles from behind me. As one of them said aloud to the other, "You think someone got a clue that film is dead." and to that, the other fella sounded a little pissed at his friend and said, "Dude, you can't say that. Film is still around." They split off and I wish I could have heard the rest.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 10-28-2011 at 03:27 AM.
10-28-2011, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #89
Inactive Account

Please post the results! I have been tempted to buy some Ektar for my Chamonix, but the price for the film and processing has totally put me off.

Steve
I just happened to shoot some Ektar in 4x5 the other day. The per sheet price is a bit pricey, but I develop at home for way less than I could send out. Shot some Portra 400 too.

Need to get a portable softbox so I can smooth out those shadows!
10-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #90
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
Vertex Ninja, very good images!