Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27071 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #1651
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
Learned how to develop B&W during the month of January. These are from the "Test Rolls" a bit dusty and have some water spots but I love them.
Wow, a very, very impressive series of photographs, well done.

02-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #1652
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Learned how to develop B&W during the month of January. These are from the "Test Rolls" a bit dusty and have some water spots but I love them.
As-to-ni-shing !!

these are sooo great ! Congrats ! On these, like on those from weedings, your "touch" is very recognizable, and this touch really stand out

Again, congrats !
02-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #1653
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great stuff, Trevor. Really enjoyed the video and the B&Ws. Thanks for the inspiration. There's something "going on" in all the shots, particularly the portraits.

Best,
Kevin
02-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #1654
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A polite notice to wait until the pitch is over before walking back to your seat.

100TMX

Great shot, great exposure, that reminds of all the baseball games I went to growing up.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I'm not certain, but I don't think I've posted this photo here yet. This is from our trip to Yosemite last July, of which I have posted quite a few photos already. This will be the last

Pentax 67, SMC Pentax 67 200/4, Kodak TMAX 100
Beautiful landscape. Someday...

QuoteOriginally posted by wuzet Quote
Pentax 645 + Biometar 80/2.8, Fuji Acros 100, HC-110
I really like the composition. Very nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidw0815 Quote
Amazing images, swift1 & wuzet!

Schwägalp, Switzerland
Pentax ME, K 1:2.8 24 mm, Ilford Pan F+
Wow, I still have no idea how to calculate exposure in the snow. Then again, I have nowhere to practice. I was disappointed by first attempt.

That is a beautiful spot. I've driven through the alps; they are spectacular.

02-10-2013, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #1655
Pentaxian

Some beautiful shots on this page. Alan, I love your Neopan 400 series. I've got a dozen rolls of it in my freezer and now I know the standard to aim for

Tuco.... just love the baseball shot. That's my kind of photo.

Colton, great landscape but your 67 gives you an unfair advantage

.... and the others I haven't mentioned are great too.
02-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #1656
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of shots from a test roll shot with a new to me camera.

Mamiya M645, Sekor C 150 F4, Expired Kodak 320TXP, Caffenol C-H | Roadside Scallop Stand

Mamiya M645, Sekor C 150 F4, Expired Kodak 320TXP, Orange Filter, Caffenol C-H | Blowin' a Gale

Mamiya M645, Sekor C 150 F4, Expired Kodak 320TXP, Orange Filter, Caffenol C-H | Miss Gwendolyn
02-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #1657
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
As-to-ni-shing !!

these are sooo great ! Congrats ! On these, like on those from weedings, your "touch" is very recognizable, and this touch really stand out

Again, congrats !
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Great stuff, Trevor. Really enjoyed the video and the B&Ws. Thanks for the inspiration. There's something "going on" in all the shots, particularly the portraits.

Best,
Kevin
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Wow, a very, very impressive series of photographs, well done.
Thanks guys! All of you on this forum have inspired me to shoot more film, especially black and white.Had I not taken up developing b&w on my own I probably would not have taken my camera out much in January.

Bucfan: Really love how you framed the one with the tractor.
David: The deep blacks in the tree look great..
Wuzet: Sweet how you captured the sand movement.
Swift: That rock is so sharp and detailed, crazy.
Alan: Amazing portraits!

02-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #1658
Veteran Member

Montman: just hand a chance to watch your video, great job, fantastic portraits.
02-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #1659
Veteran Member

Pentax 645 +Biometar 80/2.8, Ilford HP5+ (@ 100), HC-110

02-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #1660
Veteran Member

Thanks guys! All of you on this forum have inspired me to shoot more film, especially black and white.Had I not taken up developing b&w on my own I probably would not have taken my camera out much in January.

Bucfan: Really love how you framed the one with the tractor.
David: The deep blacks in the tree look great..
Wuzet: Sweet how you captured the sand movement.
Swift: That rock is so sharp and detailed, crazy.
Alan: Amazing portraits!
Thanks!
02-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #1661
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bucfan1234 Quote
Here are a couple of shots from a test roll shot with a new to me camera.
Mamiya M645, Sekor C 150 F4, Expired Kodak 320TXP, Orange Filter, Caffenol C-H | Miss Gwendolyn
Are you shooting that M645 with a WLF?

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Tuco.... just love the baseball shot. That's my kind of photo.
Why thanks.

Great shot, great exposure, that reminds of all the baseball games I went to growing up.
Thanks. I almost always meter with a one-degree spotmeter whether the camera has a built in one or not (film).
02-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #1662
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Are you shooting that M645 with a WLF?

Thanks. I almost always meter with a one-degree spotmeter whether the camera has a built in one or not (film).
No, I have the PDS finder, but I found myself wishing that I did have the waist level finder when I was out shooting the test roll.

I usually spot meter in addition to the in camera meter as well, but my results seem to fall far short of yours. Perhaps, in time, I will figure it all out.
02-11-2013, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #1663
Veteran Member

T-max 400, HC-110, RB Graflex Series B w/ Ektar lens, 6x9 Graflex back
02-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #1664
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots Tuco, Jussi & Wuzet! The weekend snow storm must have been fun!

Phil.
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #1665
Pentaxian

No, I have the PDS finder, but I found myself wishing that I did have the waist level finder when I was out shooting the test roll.

I usually spot meter in addition to the in camera meter as well, but my results seem to fall far short of yours. Perhaps, in time, I will figure it all out.
The typical look at the highest and lowest values then find some average is a common exposure method. But I rarely use that anymore. I get it wrong now and then but for the most part the one-degree yields predictable tone placement to a satisfactory degree before you even take the picture without getting all scientific with it ( ie measuring negative densities with a densitometer).

Try this approach. Every roll try a few shots where you record your film, any filters and exposure. A scene that has a good light range is a good selection. Whatever exposure is selected, that is your middle gray exposure. About 3 stop below that, blacks should be really black and not have much detail seen on the negative using a light box and loupe. So record the EVs (if your spot meter reads in EV) of the darkest areas of the scene then visually compare those areas that are 3 EV less than the middle gray exposures EV on the negative.

If your development is good, those areas should produce pretty deep blacks (clear on the negative); otherwise, you need to adjust your development. When you can "place" a dark area near edge of lost detail, you are good-to-go. Now you can look at a high values in a scene and count how many stops they are from either that low value or the middle gray exposure and start to get a grip on when highlights start to get lost. Soon you'll get a feel for how many stops of light you can capture in a scene for that development and film.

When all that is finally working predictably most of the time, you can walk up to most scenes, look it over with your eyes and meter only one thing in it to get your exposure by placing it where you want it to fall relative to that middle gray exposure.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice shots Tuco, Jussi & Wuzet! The weekend snow storm must have been fun!

Phil.
Thanks

Last edited by tuco; 02-12-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Clarification