Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #1666
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A shot taken today while on a shore line walk.
nice!

02-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #1667
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A shot taken today while on a shore line walk.

400TMY

[/center]
I can almost smell it!!
02-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #1668
Site Supporter

About 3 stop below that, blacks should be really black and not have much detail seen on the negative using a light box and loupe.
Great discussion! The crux is this sentence. Direct examination of the negative with a loupe tells all.

Steve
02-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #1669

Thanks

Another one of the Sun trying to punch through the fog that day.

Tuco,

This is a perfect picture! Great exposure on very difficult conditions.

02-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #1670
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Great discussion! The crux is this sentence. Direct examination of the negative with a loupe tells all.

Steve
Isn't this the wrong way around? Surely the blacks will be clear and the whites will be black?
02-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #1671
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I can almost smell it!!
The smell of salty mud in the morning... smells like victory.

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Tuco,

This is a perfect picture! Great exposure on very difficult conditions.
Why thanks. I place the fog 2 stops above the middle gray exposure and that gives me latitude in the editor to make it darker or lighter by a stop.
02-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #1672
Site Supporter

A couple shots from Stuttgart last fall.

K2DMD & M24-35/3.5 Zoom & Dark Yellow filter.
Fomapan R100 @160, dr5 CHROME processed & home scans

Phil.
02-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #1673
Pentaxian

I was going to develop three rolls of film tonight but found my thermometer is kaput, all the liquid's leaked out of the correct place. Pain in the backside as it means it'll have to wait until the weekend now.

02-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #1674
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I was going to develop three rolls of film tonight but found my thermometer is kaput, all the liquid's leaked out of the correct place. Pain in the backside as it means it'll have to wait until the weekend now.
My thermometer, all the graduation lettering suddenly dissolved, I am not sure why.
Anyway I am setting up for C41 with a water bath with a reptile temp controller so maybe I won't need a thermometer for bw soon.
02-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #1675
Pentaxian

Lomo Belair X 6-12, 90mm lens, expired Kodak T400CN
02-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #1676
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Lomo Belair X 6-12, 90mm lens, expired Kodak T400CN
Your results from the Lomo are making me consider getting one! Very nice Colton.

Phil.
02-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #1677
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Your results from the Lomo are making me consider getting one! Very nice Colton.

Phil.
Haha. From what I've read, I got lucky. It seems the QC and sample variation on these are similar or worse than FSU rangefinders. Mine doesn't seem to have any real issues aside from film take-up tension and maybe a minor infinity focus problem. The focus problem is hard to tell cause it's either that, or the lens is just not sharp at all. I think it's the latter
I'm currently experimenting solving the film tension issue as well as better infinity focus with a DIY pressure which consists of 3 strategically placed strips of Scotch tape
02-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #1678
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Isn't this the wrong way around? Surely the blacks will be clear and the whites will be black?
No, the deep shadows/near black will be almost clear and the high whites should be close to DMax, but not quite there. When I am doing film testing, I usually set up a test subject that includes an exposure wedge, a swath of black velvet or velour, a white terrycloth hand towel, and a few things with interesting tonal gradations. Metering from a gray card for the exposure, I expect the velvet to have some visible texture when examined under magnification and I also expect to be able to distinguish the full exposure wedge on the negative. If I can't do both, it is time to adjust the EI and/or change development.

Texture in the terry cloth is little more difficult to determine from the negative, but a bright light source is often enough to bring it out.

A full range negative of the test target is the goal.

Steve
02-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #1679
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, the deep shadows/near black will be almost clear and the high whites should be close to DMax, but not quite there. When I am doing film testing, I usually set up a test subject that includes an exposure wedge, a swath of black velvet or velour, a white terrycloth hand towel, and a few things with interesting tonal gradations. Metering from a gray card for the exposure, I expect the velvet to have some visible texture when examined under magnification and I also expect to be able to distinguish the full exposure wedge on the negative. If I can't do both, it is time to adjust the EI and/or change development.

Texture in the terry cloth is little more difficult to determine from the negative, but a bright light source is often enough to bring it out.

A full range negative of the test target is the goal.

Steve
Precisely! Tuco edited his original posting to clarify what he was saying which now makes much more sense. "Blacks should be black and not have much detail on the negative" is really "Blacks on the print should be black and the negative should be close to clear". As originally posted it was a bit unclear for a beginner even if you and I knew what was meant.

Best wishes, Kris.
02-14-2013, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #1680
Pentaxian

More Padillia Bay

400TMY