Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #1666
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 828
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A shot taken today while on a shore line walk.
nice!

02-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #1667
Site Supporter
mattt's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,737
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A shot taken today while on a shore line walk.

400TMY

[/center]
I can almost smell it!!
02-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #1668
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,617
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
About 3 stop below that, blacks should be really black and not have much detail seen on the negative using a light box and loupe.
Great discussion! The crux is this sentence. Direct examination of the negative with a loupe tells all.


Steve
02-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #1669
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks

Another one of the Sun trying to punch through the fog that day.

Tuco,

This is a perfect picture! Great exposure on very difficult conditions.

02-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #1670
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,323
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Great discussion! The crux is this sentence. Direct examination of the negative with a loupe tells all.


Steve
Isn't this the wrong way around? Surely the blacks will be clear and the whites will be black?
02-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #1671
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,017
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I can almost smell it!!
The smell of salty mud in the morning... smells like victory.

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Tuco,

This is a perfect picture! Great exposure on very difficult conditions.
Why thanks. I place the fog 2 stops above the middle gray exposure and that gives me latitude in the editor to make it darker or lighter by a stop.
02-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #1672
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,193
A couple shots from Stuttgart last fall.

K2DMD & M24-35/3.5 Zoom & Dark Yellow filter.
Fomapan R100 @160, dr5 CHROME processed & home scans





Phil.
02-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #1673
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,108
I was going to develop three rolls of film tonight but found my thermometer is kaput, all the liquid's leaked out of the correct place. Pain in the backside as it means it'll have to wait until the weekend now.

02-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #1674
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,107
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I was going to develop three rolls of film tonight but found my thermometer is kaput, all the liquid's leaked out of the correct place. Pain in the backside as it means it'll have to wait until the weekend now.
My thermometer, all the graduation lettering suddenly dissolved, I am not sure why.
Anyway I am setting up for C41 with a water bath with a reptile temp controller so maybe I won't need a thermometer for bw soon.
02-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #1675
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,921

Lomo Belair X 6-12, 90mm lens, expired Kodak T400CN
02-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #1676
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,193
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Lomo Belair X 6-12, 90mm lens, expired Kodak T400CN
Your results from the Lomo are making me consider getting one! Very nice Colton.

Phil.
02-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #1677
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Your results from the Lomo are making me consider getting one! Very nice Colton.

Phil.
Haha. From what I've read, I got lucky. It seems the QC and sample variation on these are similar or worse than FSU rangefinders. Mine doesn't seem to have any real issues aside from film take-up tension and maybe a minor infinity focus problem. The focus problem is hard to tell cause it's either that, or the lens is just not sharp at all. I think it's the latter
I'm currently experimenting solving the film tension issue as well as better infinity focus with a DIY pressure which consists of 3 strategically placed strips of Scotch tape
02-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #1678
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,617
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Isn't this the wrong way around? Surely the blacks will be clear and the whites will be black?
No, the deep shadows/near black will be almost clear and the high whites should be close to DMax, but not quite there. When I am doing film testing, I usually set up a test subject that includes an exposure wedge, a swath of black velvet or velour, a white terrycloth hand towel, and a few things with interesting tonal gradations. Metering from a gray card for the exposure, I expect the velvet to have some visible texture when examined under magnification and I also expect to be able to distinguish the full exposure wedge on the negative. If I can't do both, it is time to adjust the EI and/or change development.

Texture in the terry cloth is little more difficult to determine from the negative, but a bright light source is often enough to bring it out.

A full range negative of the test target is the goal.


Steve
02-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #1679
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,323
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, the deep shadows/near black will be almost clear and the high whites should be close to DMax, but not quite there. When I am doing film testing, I usually set up a test subject that includes an exposure wedge, a swath of black velvet or velour, a white terrycloth hand towel, and a few things with interesting tonal gradations. Metering from a gray card for the exposure, I expect the velvet to have some visible texture when examined under magnification and I also expect to be able to distinguish the full exposure wedge on the negative. If I can't do both, it is time to adjust the EI and/or change development.

Texture in the terry cloth is little more difficult to determine from the negative, but a bright light source is often enough to bring it out.

A full range negative of the test target is the goal.

Steve
Precisely! Tuco edited his original posting to clarify what he was saying which now makes much more sense. "Blacks should be black and not have much detail on the negative" is really "Blacks on the print should be black and the negative should be close to clear". As originally posted it was a bit unclear for a beginner even if you and I knew what was meant.

Best wishes, Kris.
02-14-2013, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #1680
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,017
More Padillia Bay





400TMY

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
autofocus, camera, d-76, dog, doubt, exposure, film, flickr, fp4, kiev, leak, lens, love, mine, minutes, nikkormat, pentax, phil, photography, pm, post, quality, roll, shot, shots, smc, sp500, station, steve, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel Some B&W film shots from the Gulf of Gaeta, Italy Rense Post Your Photos! 3 04-23-2011 12:22 AM
First post - few b&w shots sealisthenewbeaver Photo Critique 2 09-22-2008 06:40 PM
My Pentax shots in print & film. blwnhr Photographic Technique 5 03-18-2008 05:13 PM
First shots with a zx-5 film camera (c&c welcome) jbrowning Post Your Photos! 2 12-23-2007 08:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top