Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #2251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I dunno, Phil, your first shot there with the boats looks pretty good both in tonal scale and contrast on my monitor. I think any further adjustments would be a matter of personal taste.
My monitor at work isn't the best, but I will check it again at home just to rule out any errors from my judgment.

08-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #2252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I don't know which developer, but the times specified for rr80s for any developer are too long according to post by people from various sources.
Perhaps, I can't say. Have you conducted a speed test and what is your rated EI for the film?
08-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #2253
Pentaxian

My monitor at work isn't the best, but I will check it again at home just to rule out any errors from my judgment.
What are you seeing that doesn't look right?
08-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #2254
Veteran Member

What are you seeing that doesn't look right?
The white boats are blown. It looks like the negatives must be very thick in that area.

08-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #2255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Thanks for the Retro 80S tips guys. I'll rescan a couple negatives with my home scanner to rule out scanning. I have one roll left and may try another lab for processing.

Phil.
I would also inspect the negatives. Do the boats look black? Can you distinguish is there's any tonality and detail there?

I would also ask the lab what developer they use. If it's xtol (very likely) than shoot at recommended iso for xtol and tell them to reduce the dev time by 15% or even more. You will need to sacrifice couple of rolls to get the results you want.
08-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #2256
Veteran Member

Perhaps, I can't say. Have you conducted a speed test and what is your rated EI for the film?
I didn't conduct speed tests. I just go by what looks best to my eye I shoot it at 80 or 64, depending on the scene.
08-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #2257
Pentaxian

The white boats are blown. It looks like the negatives must be very thick in that area.
Too small of an area to make that call. I do see some rib lines in the hull of one boat. And you cannot necessarily attribute blown highlights to over exposed negatives. It all depends on how much light is in the scene, how much light range that was captured on the negative and where the highlights were placed relative to the middle gray exposure.

In other words, if you took a picture that had the Sun in it and there was a big, giant glow for a Sun when it should be a much smaller diameter and you also had good detail in the low values would you say your negative was over exposed?

Last edited by tuco; 08-30-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Add more info
08-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #2258
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some Rollei Retro 80S shots. (KX & K15/3.5 and K35/3.5)

Phil.
I really like the last one. Have you thought about a square crop? I think the symmetry would work wonderfully.

K.

08-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #2259
Veteran Member

PZ-1P, K50/1.2, Tmax 100, Pyrocat HD
08-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #2260
Site Supporter

I would also inspect the negatives. Do the boats look black? Can you distinguish is there's any tonality and detail there?

I would also ask the lab what developer they use. If it's xtol (very likely) than shoot at recommended iso for xtol and tell them to reduce the dev time by 15% or even more. You will need to sacrifice couple of rolls to get the results you want.
I checked the negatives on my light table with a zoom lupe and yes the boats are black and there is tonality & detail.

Here is another shoot of the same scene, this time with just a UV filter and metered with my Spotmeter V. The other was using an orange filter and the KX built-in meter.

I going to NY next month and will take the other roll of Retro 80S with some Adox Silvermax. I’m planning to send them to dr5 Chrome and have them processed as a positive. So we’ll see how that turns out, I’ll post some scans of the slides when I get them back.

Thanks again for your input (Tuco & Steve as well). The other problem is my home laptops monitor is small and crappy, so it’s hard to judge anything on it.

Phil.
08-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #2261
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I really like the last one. Have you thought about a square crop? I think the symmetry would work wonderfully.

K.
Thanks Kris. Yeah a square would look good, with the circle in the middle.

Phil.
08-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #2262
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the official data for rr80s Rollei RETRO 80S TWIN 2x 135-36
Massive dev chart: B&W Film Developing Times | The Massive Dev Chart
Maco Direct lifted their numbers from the Massive Dev Chart. There are not official makers recommendation as far as I know.
08-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #2263
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I checked the negatives on my light table with a zoom lupe and yes the boats are black and there is tonality & detail.
The most likely culprit for any loss of desired highlight is the scan -- unless the lab tech adjusts the scan for each frame, the scanner auto exposes for a 'typical' scene, i.e. clipping a bit of that bright sun in the sky
08-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #2264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Maco Direct lifted their numbers from the Massive Dev Chart. There are not official makers recommendation as far as I know.
Not on my packaging. The times are stamped with rollei and agfa on it. The film is IR sensitive aerial photography film. And it has crazy contrast. It behaves differently than rr400s for example.

One thing I can be sure of is that the film wasn't overexposed, since there's very little detail in the underside of the bridge or shadow of the first column.
08-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #2265
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not on my packaging. The times are stamped with rollei and agfa on it. The film is IR sensitive aerial photography film. And it has crazy contrast. It behaves differently than rr400s for example.

One thing I can be sure of is that the film wasn't overexposed, since there's very little detail in the underside of the bridge or shadow of the first column.
You are right! Earlier rolls I had purchased came "naked", but I just pulled the 5-pack of 120 from the frig and sure enough they pasted a dev chart on the reverse of the ziploc bag. The times on the chart do look like they would result in significant over-development.

As you noted, RR 80s is cut from production sheets of Agfa Aviphot Pan 80* and confectured to both the Rollei and Agfa branding by Maco (Mahn)**. The extended red sensitivity is helpful in aerial photography to cut through atmospheric haze. The fine grain and high contrast are a plus as well. It is also nice for enhanced skin tones and cutting the haze in landscapes (important where I live), but the trade-off is somewhat unusual rendering of foliage, grass, and true red objects and somewhat unpredictable results from orange and red filters. This statement in the product data sheet is is telling, "Its spectral sensitivity to up to 750 nm makes Aviphot Pan 80 an outstanding tool for differentiation of species in agricultural and ecological studies". That may be why grass can look crazy while trees look fairly normal.

Below is a photo with RR80s using a standard yellow filter (Y2).

And the same band (taken from the other side with the K10D) showing the colors of the uniforms.

Steve

* Aviphot Pan 80 Data Sheet
** Maco (Hans O. Mahn & Co.) Web site

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-31-2013 at 08:27 AM.